Any sportbike guys around here ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've checked the posts and see a lot of stuff on Harley's but not a lot on sportbikes. No offense meant to Harley's (my brother has one) But they don't seem to be the most presision built things I've ever seen. I think they're only pushing like 5500 rpm or so.

I'm trying to find the best ol to use in an 04 ninja 636. Redline is 15,500, however fuel cutoff is around 16,200. So proper lubrication is quite important. I'm currently using Amsoil 10w-40. Is there anything better out there ?

The Amsoil and Mobil 1 bike oils seem to be very good stuff. I'm curently switching stuff over to Amsoil but I have had very good luck with Rotella T 5W40 in my old TL1000S and now my VFR800FI. My brother now has my ols Bandit 1200 and is on his second OCI of Amsoil 10W40 and the clutch is holding very well with it.

Gixxer 1000 here, Motul in the sump. In addition to the ones KW mentioned, Motul and RedLine seem to get some good results.

You can check my other posts, but I've run just about every oil in just about every kind of bike.

I've been more-or-less the happiest with Amsoil 10W-40. Next best is the Mobil-1 for bikes, but it is quite a bit pricier. Next is (ready?) Delo 400 or Chevron Supreme. Yes, Virginia, I've run Motul 3000 (it was alright), Silkolene (liked it), and Golden Spectro (didn't like it). I haven't felt stupid enough to shell out more than $10/quart for Motul synthetic or Silkolene synthetic.

My take? If you can get the Amsoil (for bikes) at a reasonable price, do it. It's the best I've found yet. Same goes for the Mobil-1. The new formulations of the 15W-50 "might" not work as well as the old formulations. I tried a few of the Castrol products and HATED them. Blah, blah, sisk-boom-bah. I ran Castrol GTX in my old Nighthawk quite a bit, but it was only OK, and that was 7 years ago. For my vote, it's Amsoil or Delo, because they give the best bang for the buck (with the syn. Amsoil lasting considerably longer before shifting goes to heck.)

Bikes (current and former):
1996 Kawasaki GPz 1100 (water cooler ZX-11 engine)
1991 Suzuki Katana 1100 (air/oil-cooled GSXR mill)
1989 Honda VTR 250 (water cooler 14Krpm redline 90 degree V-Twin)
1983 Honda NightHawk 550 (air/oil-cooled)
1981 Honda CB900 Custom (air/oil-cooled)
1985 Yamaha Venture Royale (water cooled VMax engine)

Not a sportbike, but I've got a '00 Bandit 1200S. I tried some Amsoil AME 15W-40 (had a bunch of it sitting here for the Dodge Diesel) but got some clutch slip. Not sure why, cuz it seems lots of folks around here are happy with it.

I did a short drain interval with Rosmella T followed by Castrol GTX and the clutch action came back. I'll stick with the GTX and factory recommended drain intervals.

quote:

Originally posted by bulabula:
Not a sportbike, but I've got a '00 Bandit 1200S. I tried some Amsoil AME 15W-40 (had a bunch of it sitting here for the Dodge Diesel) but got some clutch slip. Not sure why, cuz it seems lots of folks around here are happy with it.

What is AME? You have GOT to be careful running oil that is wet-clutch compatible. If the Amsoil *for bikes* didn't slip in my 130 HP GPz and it didn't slip in my Katana (same engine as yours, but 100cc less), I can't imagine it slipping in anything else. My Venture couldn't care less what oil is used, so that's the one that gets Delo, and it likes it. My CB doesn't care much, but it does a little. Delo seems OK, but other non-bike oils don't work well in it.

Good Luck

quote:

Not a sportbike, but I've got a '00 Bandit 1200S. I tried some Amsoil AME 15W-40

I think your clutch is the same as my 97 B1200 cutch. Mine and most other B1200 clutches also slip on car synthetic.

A good $9 upgrade for the clutch is to replace one of the diaphragm springs with a Barnett diaphragm. It makes the clutch about 15% stiffer and the extra pull isn't very noticable. It gets too stiff with two Barnett springs, so don't try that.

Jon/XS650, AME is Amsoil's code for HDD oil - (Heavy Duty Diesel); I had it here and have read where folks have used it with good success. I don't think Amsoil markets it as a m/c oil. I dunno; my Honda 750 used to like M1 so I figured the zook would like the Amsoil I had. I figured wrong.

The zook is a pretty easy oil change, but I like being on top of it rather than under it so I'm gonna stick with dino for now.

The Barnett diaphragm may be a winter project and that'll give me time to convince myself to try m/c syn in the springtime.

The engine/tranny itself seemed to like the syn so much better - shifting was buttery smooth and the idle was faster; but its no good if it won't loft the front end.

quote:

That's weird cause the 10w40 M/C and the 15w40AME are the same formulation.

quote:

The zook is a pretty easy oil change, but I like being on top of it rather than under it so I'm gonna stick with dino for now.

The Barnett diaphragm may be a winter project and that'll give me time to convince myself to try m/c syn in the springtime.

File this away for when you want to change the spring, it's only about a one hour job.
Bandit Clutch Spring Upgrade

Give Delvac Super 1300 15W-40 a try, I think your Bandit will like it. My Bandit did.

'01 RC51, using schaeffer's supreme 20w-50. (which is an excellent match for my bike, judging by sound and shift feel.)

i really want to make a jump, though, i'm considering trading in for that new bmw once it's out. i guess i'm getting "old." but hey, that new bmw is still definitely a sport bike.

-michael

I have a Honda VTR1000 and just finished a run of Amsoil 10W-40 and liked it fine. It made the bike shift nice and smooth and the clutch never had a problem. But, after reading here quite a bit I got concerned about how the Amsoil thickens so much. I never did an UOA so I don't know if it thickened in my bike or not. I am currently running Maxima 5W-40 right now and it seems to be fine so far (fwiw).
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by thedawk:
I have a Honda VTR1000 and just finished a run of Amsoil 10W-40 and liked it fine. It made the bike shift nice and smooth and the clutch never had a problem. But, after reading here quite a bit I got concerned about how the Amsoil thickens so much. I never did an UOA so I don't know if it thickened in my bike or not. I am currently running Maxima 5W-40 right now and it seems to be fine so far (fwiw).
cheers.gif

I would think that the 5w40 would thinken even fast than the 10w40. Amsoil's 10w40 has very little VII's as compared to an oil with a wider vis range like a 5w40.

I would say this even after 9400 miles in my BMW twin the oil was just barely a high 30wt. OAI said the the oil was good for continued use, with a filter change.

BTW, BMW calls for a 20w50 in that bike. So I would say that the 10w40 faired Excellent!!!!
patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Ninjaracer636:

I'm trying to find the best ol to use in an 04 ninja 636. Redline is 15,500, however fuel cutoff is around 16,200. So proper lubrication is quite important. I'm currently using Amsoil 10w-40. Is there anything better out there ?

For that particular engine I like the Kawasaki 10w-40 Synthetic @ 6 bucks a quart . I am pretty sure it is rebottled Motul E-Tech 100 .

Maxima 10w-40 synthetic is a great choice as well and not near as costly as whats shown on their website if you buy through a Parts Unlimited dealer who happens to be a riding buddie
wink.gif

Hey thanks for all the replies !! I really really like the Amsoil after running it longer, seems to have smoother out some of the vibrations
fruit.gif

Do you guys think that 10w-40 is too thin, I've read somewhere that the oil breaks down quicker and won't last more than 1000-1500 miles. I'll change it that often if I need too but that seems a bit frequent. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back