B-12 vs FP in the gas tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I thought Fuel power was going to win this one. But after alternating treatments (like 5 tanks @2 gallons) it seems the B-12 is better than Fuel Pwr. This is in a 1986 Suzuki 550cc.

Any ideas why? I bought the bike used. And it hates the cold weather (as in it won't start). So it's probably due for a carb rebuild.

rg144,

This would probably do better in the additive section, but people are going ot want to know the specifics as to why you're stating that the bg-12 is better than the fuel power. Preferably having some empirical evidence rather than just subjective data to help form the basis of your viewpoints.

Regards,

Ethan

Uhmm, who put you in charge?

Empirical data? OK.

1. I ride to work if it's over 50 degrees. On those cold days I *have* to use starting fluid. When B-12 sat in the tank over winter it started, albeit reluctantly. When I ran through a couple of tanks without it, it was back to it's old habits.
2. It ran like a 100% piece of **** until it warmed up. It now smoothly idles although you have to fine tune the choke as it warms up (say the first mile at 1/4 choke, 2 miles 1/2, then back off all the way.
3. My kids said not to park it near the street the trash men might take it. Now 2 of 3 of them have motorcycle permits and want to take it out to practice.
4. Last weekend changed from Delvac 1300 15w45 to Shell Rotella T Syn (5w40) - sweet! (Manual calls for 10w40, previously used Castrol Syntec 10w40). Less chatter at start up. And it runs cooler (I can tell because after playing basketball I don't wear socks and I can feel the heat).

Come on by, I'll let you take it out. I thought FP was going to clean/lubricate UCL/boost octane. Instead B-12 seems better.

Another data point, the gas tank had rust debris when I bought it. I flushed it out, and found drained the dual carb bowls which had sediment too. Since then I drain the bowls every year and they are pretty clean.

I think B-12 boosts octane and keeps the carbs clean. I was hoping someone would weigh in instead of just criticizing. If nothing else this is my experience - for anyone else is tooling around in an old bike.

[ May 19, 2004, 10:20 PM: Message edited by: rg144 ]

rg144,

Please don't take offense to what I said, if I have offended thee, think of me as but a dream.

My questions and suggestions were there to help elicit what information you had to see why b-12 is working better for you in this application, not to criticize unnecessarily.

I don't know how much carbon you could have in your fuel system, but I think it should definitely be cleared out by now. It sounds as if the b-12 is reducing the energy required for ignition. After reading molakule's paper on the lubecontrol site as well as your statement of usage, I believe other areas should be investigated. Given the age of the bike, you are probably correct in taking a look at the carbs.

Regards,

Ethan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back