oil change procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have heard many times that you should hit the starter with the kill switch on after you drain the oil on motorcycles. How many of you do this and why? This doesn't sound good.

Possibly to crank the engine a bit and get the last bit of oil out.

I'm not so sure it's a good idea, either. I don't think it would make a HUGE difference if you had a bit of the old oil left in there.

Not too sure, actually.

I don't think it sounds like a good thing either. But i'll bet that the dealer does this if you let them change your oil.

....I certainly don't do that with my vehicles and don't know why it would be suggested for a bike either! I'd be curious why Honda would recommend this though. Have had several Honda bikes going back 20 years and don't recall that in any manual. What is the reasoning if you know?

Yes, the idea is to pump the last bit of oil out of the engine to get a more complete change.

I had heard that it was recommended for the older BMW boxers too. I tried it. Once. Imagine a pan of hot oil sitting under the bike, drain plug out, and two large pistons coming together displacing the air out through the drain plug. It splashed about a half quart of oil all over me, the driveway, and the side of the house.
pat.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back