yamaha v-star

Status
Not open for further replies.
several of my friends at work and myself are planning to purchace bikes this spring. we looked at the harley davidsons and they are much too expensive. we have deceided to get the yamaha v-star classics. very good looking motorcycles and probably very reliable as well. at least we hope so. yamahas basic warranty is 1 yr. the price of their yamalube is outrageous, more than alot of synthetics. i beleive the bike shares the motor oil w/ the clutch. it is shaft drive. should i let the dealer use the yamalube for the warranty period and then go to the amsoil 10w40 motorcycle oil for japanese bikes which i beleive includes the japanese v-twins, or maybe the castrol grand prix 20w50? this bike is 650cc{40ci}. i would like any info as i don't want to pay up the kazoo for a "dealer oil". i already know about the "car oil as long as it's not energy conserving" argument, and i don't want to use a 15-40 fleet oil either. just some suggestions of a real good, non mobil 1 for v twins oil! will change every 2 thousand miles after the warranty period. thanks dudes!!!

What does your manual say? I would think that an air cooled v-twin would like 20w-50. I love that bike and can't decide between the 650 v-star and the Honda spirit 750 when i get one this winter. Have you driven a 650? Is it fast enough toget around on the freeway. I have heard they are under powered. Most seem to recommend the 1100.

jon, we havn't purchaced the bikes yet, so i'm not sure what the manual recomends. i have read some opinions at epinions..a consumer review site and everyone seems to say that the 650cc mill in the v-star has plenty of scoot, even when riding 2 up. the main reason we prefered it over the honda is that it's a low or no maintence shaft drive instead of a chain. jelly, i was trying to stay with a motorcycle specific oil. i'm sure that their are some 15 40 mixed fleet oils that would suffice though. that's why i asked for an answer. "why" is your reply? tell me why i should.

There are many oils that will provide your motorcycle with good protection, including non-motorcycle specific ones. A prime example is Amsoil - They repackaged their 10w-40 & 20w-50 with a motorcycle oil label, not because they were trying confuse the consumer, but because their oil will do the job better than most motorcycle specific oils, but consumers, like yourself, wouldn't buy an oil unless it was labeled "motorcycle oil".

While you shouldn't just by any oil and dump it in your bike, there are many non-motorcycle oils that will do a fine job. Harley Davidson advises use of certain "diesel oils" if HD lubricants aren't available. You may find that the Yamaha owners manual has similar advisories.

FYI, I was going to use Amsoil in my $15,000 Harley until I got a great deal on some Redline 15w-50 (non-motorcycle specific). I realize your application is significantly different being that it shares a sump with the tranny - therefore an oil that resists shear is your best bet. My point is that, as a low/middle class person, I can't afford not to use a high quality oil - regardless of whether it say motorcycle on it or not.

[ November 11, 2003, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: medic ]

thanks for the reply medic. i would never call you a low to middle class person though!
wink.gif
i might try the amsoil 20 -50 in the bike when the warranty runs out, or as jelly sugested, a good 15-40 dino or syn like delvac. how about pennzoil 20-50? do you think there is a issue w/ the moly and the "wet" clutch?

quote:

Originally posted by penzdude:
thanks for the reply medic. i would never call you a low to middle class person though!
wink.gif
i might try the amsoil 20 -50 in the bike when the warranty runs out, or as jelly sugested, a good 15-40 dino or syn like delvac. how about pennzoil 20-50? do you think there is a issue w/ the moly and the "wet" clutch?

Hehehe, if I told you how much I don't make a year, you would call me low class. I'm a single guy and have very few toys, but I need my bike to keep my sanity. I have owned a older Suzuki & Yamaha, but alway wanted a Harley. I bought a '90 Sportster about 7 years ago, rode it for a few years, sold it for what I paid for it, and went bigger. I slowly worked my way up to my Softail Custom.

Now, back on topic. Amsoil is a good oil. It has very high zinc levels and no moly and I think it is very resistant to shearing. You'll find many diesel oils are similar. Redline has low zinc levels for a bike oil, but has more than enough moly to make up for it and with my bike moly doesn't matter because the clutch is not in the engine oil.

The moly and the wet-clutch are a whole different debate. Some people use oils with moly and have no problems, other complain of slippage. The good news is that the slippage went away with a change to a no moly oil.

I know a guy with a '82 Yamaha 750 Maxim. He has well over 50,000 miles and the bike looks like it has 100k miles. He just uses whatever 10w-40 is on sale (mobil drive clean currently), runs it for a year and has never had a problem with anything. He forgot to dump the oil this last spring and only changed the filter, putting in another 4 quarts of oil. He rode it all over for about 300 miles. There was oil in the air box, the air cleaner, and dripping out of all sorts of places. He finally realized what he did, drained the oil and refilled with the correct amount. He never put another air cleaner in it or anything. Occationally he'll get a fouled spark plug, he just pulls it out and takes it to the bench grinder (wire wheel), and the puts it back in. IMO, the bike should've quit years ago, but it still runs great. I guess this proves that we're all just paranoid for no reason.

quote:

(snipped) the main reason we prefered it over the honda is that it's a low or no maintence shaft drive instead of a chain. (snipped)

Just an FYI. the new 750 spirit for 2004 is shaft drive. In case you weren't aware.

Current Honda Magne rider here......
Tim

I'd use an SAE 40 or 50 in an air cooled engine.
The HDMOs are shear stable, wet cutch compatable, and under $2.00.
Penz LL 40 and 50 would be two examples.
(just for you Jelly)

[ November 12, 2003, 04:31 AM: Message edited by: userfriendly ]

thanks user, tim, and medic. no, i wasn't aware the new hondas were shaft drive as well as the yamahas. good to know though. extra 100cc in the same $$range. it seems like the mixed fleet oils are worth looking into for sure, as well as the amsoil and a lot of others. looks kinda like the motorcycle specific oils are more of a marketing ploy. how dare they!!!
rolleyes.gif
lol penz

quote:

wink.gif

I would not use the 20w50 these motors are water cooled and call for 10w40. Most all Japanese bikes call for 10w40 weather they are V-Twins or I-4's.

I've had great success running Amsoil 10w40 in my BMW twin, and My triumph Sprint Triple.

Give me a call and maybe we can discuss some things, both about oil and bikes.

My number is 589-7978(yes thats local VA-Beach.

If you want any riding tips, bike tips, or oil tips I'd be glad to get with you. I usually ride about 10,000 miles per year. I ride year round.

Speaking of bikes have you thought of looking at triumphs? They have some really cool looking cruisers in the Bonnieville line.

msparks, thanks so much for your generous offer. i hate to put the cart before the horse though. we are gonna be purchacing in the spring.the yamaha v stars we looked at were air cooled, while the hondas were water cooled. kinda hard to decide. we looked again today. the 03 honda shadows were 750cc and water cooled, still driven by a chain. very good looking bikes. we looked at the ace edition. very retro, nice. the yamaha v star is a 650cc air cooled, and shaft drive,also very retro looking and priced about the same. to me the yamaha looked like a taller, wider, and longer bike, if i didn't know beforehand, i would have thought it was at least 1000cc or larger.i did look at the triumph website as you suggested. very nice looking! i like the bonnie , however, it's a little more than i can swing. thanks again, penz
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by userfriendly:
I'd use an SAE 40 or 50 in an air cooled engine.
The HDMOs are shear stable, wet cutch compatable, and under $2.00.
Penz LL 40 and 50 would be two examples.
(just for you Jelly)

Ahhh, now come on Friendly!
grin.gif

I run HDEO 15w-40's in my air-cooled equipment...obviously, straight-grade oils are more shear-stable and have better high-temperature properties, but I've never had a problem with HDEO 15w-40's in air-cooled motorcycles, ATV's, lawn mowers, etc...

BTW, once again, I'm not brand-loyal (Pennzoil), I just like their Long-Life 15w-40 at the moment...

[ November 13, 2003, 06:52 PM: Message edited by: Jelly ]

quote:

msparks, thanks so much for your generous offer. i hate to put the cart before the horse though. we are gonna be purchacing in the spring.the yamaha v stars we looked at were air cooled, while the hondas were water cooled. kinda hard to decide.

Sorry I didn't realize that the yammie's were air cooled.
If your interested I've got a 2001 Suzuki Savage 650 for sale, it's my wifes and she just bought another bike.

Also have you taken a look at the Kawasai's? My first street bike was a 1995 Kawasaki 750 Vulcan. I put about 17,000 miles on that in 2 years. It's also shaft drive.runs about $6K new.

I have been using Mobil 1 15w/50 auto oil in my '97 Honda 750 Nighthawk (air/oil cooled) for years. It currently has 44,000 miles on it. A friend of mine used to have a '91 Pacific Coast (800cc liquid cooled twin), used nothing but Mobil 1 for 97,000 miles, never had any problems. He also had a '96 Nighthawk, put 86,000 miles on that (no probs either) and currently has an '01 Kawasaki W650 (air cooled 25,000 miles) using Mobil 1 15w/50.

msparks, thanks for the offer on the savage. neat looking little bikes! single cyl, big bore 650cc. kind of like the old british stuff. only problem is that i'm 6'2" and 230 lbs. i look like a shriner on a mini bike when i sit on it! we haven't really looked to much at the kawasaki bikes yet in person. i saw the vulcan cruisers online though. nice looking as well. road rascal, i have also heard that other people have had great results w/ the mobil 1 15w50 too! thanks bro's!

quote:

msparks, thanks for the offer on the savage. neat looking little bikes! single cyl, big bore 650cc. kind of like the old british stuff. only problem is that i'm 6'2" and 230 lbs. i look like a shriner on a mini bike when i sit on it!

I'm only 6'0 and feel that way. It's really a small bike. Hence the reason we bought it. My wife is 5'2" and can flat foot comfortably.

As far as the Vulcan, it would give me butt burn after about 30-45 minutes. So I'm sure you will not fit it well either.

It will be hard to find a bike in the 650 range that will fit you. May I make a suggestion. Look at a dual sport of some type that will be much more comfortable for you.

Something like a Kawasaki KLR540 or the new Suzuki 650 VSTROM

-

thanks msparks, the suzuki is a great looking bike too. i have my heart set on a cruiser though. i have also began to look at the v-star 1100 custom. around 8g. exciting to go online and shop though. i will let you know what we end up getting. maybe we can ride a little this spring and summer. nice little "watering hole" at the south end of sandbridge across from little island pier. "the baja" also, have you been to "the tiki" on bike day? it's on sandbridge rd. i believe it's on sunday. penz
cheers.gif

If you haven't made the decisions yet, I'd strongly recommend a 750 Vulcan. They are stone-axe reliable, and quite powerful for their size.

That being said, (as I've said in other posts), I've tried /almost/ every oil out there in the bikes I've had over the years, and I've never found *anything* that works as well as the Amsoil 10W-40 for bikes. I've tried Mobil products, Motul, Silkolene, and others.

I love the Vstar 650, but i too think it is underpowered. I am very seriously considering the Suzuki Marauder 800 at the same price($5300)as the Yamaha 650, but with 10-15 more HP and less weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back