New '03 Prairie 650 v-twin 4x4 ATV, whats the best oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I notice mobil 1 makes a synthetic v-twin motorcycle formula, 20w50. Also amsoil makes a 0w-40 4-stroke oil. Anyone have any experience with these oils in their ATV's?

While your Prairie's a V-twin, the Mobil and other V-twin oils are designed for air-cooled motors....Harley Davidson's.

The Mobil MX4T or Amsoil would be a better choice for your Kawasaki.

I noticed that, and at the time of posting, didn't know the p650 was liquid cooled. Since it's not air cooled, it probably doesn't need that extra thickness of the 20w-50. What does the manual recommend?

Theres a gazillion ways to lube that motor. Since it will live in a warm climate myself I think I would use 15/40 Chevron Delo 400,15/40 Phillips race PAO blend or their HD 15/40 or other easily found HD 15/40's like Kendalls SHP blend with a TBN of 14. And thats not being cheap,it's a good way to lube it for life. Yeah you could go the synlube route but in 6 years or more I doubt the motor would see any difference in wear or sludge.
I know of a couple of Suzuki street bikes with over 100k each on them using Castrol GTX,,I certainly sure would not do that but in comparison the HD oils will offer even more protection imo
patriot.gif

[ December 30, 2002, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

Lightman,
I've used the AMSOil 0W-40 in my Polaris ATVs without noticing any difference from the factory Polaris 0W-40 synthetic oil. I did save a few bucks as a Prefered AMSOil Customer. I change ATV oil twice a year, and I will probably try the AMSOil 10W-40 Motorcycle oil for the summer weather.

Most motorcycle manuals will recommend an oil made specifically for motorcycles to insure compatability with the clutch.
The Amsoil 0W-40, and the 10W-40 and 20W-50 Motorcycle oils are all made specifically for motorcycles and are wet clutch compatable.
The 15W-40 is not made for motorcycles.

Dave

[ January 03, 2003, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: UOTdave ]

quote:

Originally posted by UOTdave:
Most motorcycle manuals will recommend an oil made specifically for motorcycles to insure compatability with the clutch.
The Amsoil 0W-40, and the 10W-40 and 20W-50 Motorcycle oils are all made specifically for motorcycles and are wet clutch compatable.
The 15W-40 is not made for motorcycles.

Dave

Um, dave as I said the 15w40 and 10w40 have very similar base and additive chemisties. The 15w40 also does not have the friction modifiers. This is straight from Amsoil

Most oils that are not 5/30, 10/30, or 0/30 do not contain friction modifiers. Some bikes are not bothered by the friction modifiers anyways. My honda is like that. I use mobil 1 5/30 because it shifts very good and has excellant clutch feel.

Diesel oils and motorcycle oils generally dont contain friction modifiers. Who cares, the 650 doesn't have a wet clutch anyway, lol =] I ordered a case of the 0W-40 a week ago. Guess when I plow thru all that, I'll try 15w-40.

quote:

Originally posted by 47HO:
Lightman,
I've used the AMSOil 0W-40 in my Polaris ATVs without noticing any difference from the factory Polaris 0W-40 synthetic oil. I did save a few bucks as a Prefered AMSOil Customer. I change ATV oil twice a year, and I will probably try the AMSOil 10W-40 Motorcycle oil for the summer weather.

Your best deal would be the 15w40, since you live in AL. The 10w40 and 15w40 have very similiar specs.

quote:

Originally posted by Lightman:
I notice mobil 1 makes a synthetic v-twin motorcycle formula, 20w50. Also amsoil makes a 0w-40 4-stroke oil. Anyone have any experience with these oils in their ATV's?

Take your pick, 0w40, 10w40 or the 15w40. All would work well in your application.

I would say if you want the most for you money the 15w40 can be had for under $4 a quart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back