atv's

Status
Not open for further replies.
does it matter, oil,10/40 or 20/50, in HOT-DUNE's?change oil ofen.[ lots of SAND!] thank's
dunno.gif

Jake for an air-cooled ATV, I'd go with a narrow-spread oil as I suspect the heat and RPMs will shear down most VIIs.

So, Instead of 10W40, I'd use a 15W40 and you'll get the benefit of the extra anti-wear most 15W40 heavy duty oils have. The 20W50 should be fine as well ... as long as it is swapped out often. Since most of these machines have low-capacity sumps, I'd drain the oil every 20-30 hours of hard operation. Maybe more if you suspect sand contamination.

Testing a sample after 1 day's hard use might not be a bad idea to give you a better idea. Those machines ain't cheap!
shocked.gif

I had been using Chevron Delo 400 but will slowly switch my vehicles (including a 1983 ATC 200E "Big Red") over to Schaeffer Supreme 7000 synthetic blend in 15W40.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

I agree with Bror except that I don't know that it is the best use of synthetics unless your buedget is unlimited. A good Group II product like Delo with frequent changes would be my choice.
Another reason to go with 15w40 instead of 10w40 is a 27% higher viscosity under maximum Shear at 150C than a 10w40.

[ August 25, 2002, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: widman ]

widman, is Delo 400 a Group II or Group II+ base?
confused.gif

I don't think a 25% PAO blend like Schaeffer is overkill for these applications. In the states, it's a $1.75 per quart oil (the Delo 400) vs. a $3.00 per quart oil (Schaeffer Supreme 7000).

With all the expenses involved with 3/4-wheelin', you could change your oil after every hard day of ridin' and I can't say that the cost would be significant at the end of the season.
dunno.gif

However, the Honda's I've owned/ridden are pretty abuse tolerant and either oil'd be fine, I'm sure.
smile.gif

Dragboat, how much is that Yammy oil per quart?

--- Bror Jace

Bror, We are using it in a Lake Racer with a Solid Lifter Flat Tappet cammed 454 Chevy with 350lbs of open spring pressure,the price is 2.25 per quart. Seems to do pretty well after two seasons,no flat cam lobes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back