New Champion Branded Filters at Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that I clearly said on that circumstance you were very correct in making that question.

You know that I specifically stated that I thought you were exactly right about your thought/question was. And... That I agree with you on that as well.

And yeah I agree with you about the part whether or not it is a question of a member vs say Federal Mogul. I do agree with that as well. Read my post above yours.... It is quite accurate in my opinion in how things go at times. Plus... It clarifies my answer to you involving Johnny Carson
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
So you did say and I quote, "riddle me this". I did take that as a direct question to me.

So it did appear to be directed to me specifically.

Now, having said that... In my first answer I was just joking with you about not being Carnack aka Johnny Carson from the Tonight Show. If you and I were on the phone or in person I would have said... "Blank" if I know... I am not Carnack Johnny Carson from the Tonight Show. And I would have been laughing the entire time I said all that. Then you would have known from my laughing and way my voice sounded you would easily would have known I was joking with you. However, in just reading my typed response it would have just as been likely you thought I was being a smart "donkey" so to speak. When in fact I really was not trying to be that at all.

You see Zee, this typed posting circumstance can be very hard and difficult to work itself out. Wires get crossed inadvertently or unintentionally and things can go sideways rather quickly. It is difficult enough to have a disagreement in person or over the phone. But in this context it is even far more difficult.

That's why I am saying all of this. For myself and everyone else. This is not an easy circumstance in which to debate or have a disagreement in. And it takes a lot of effort on all of our parts not to be disgruntled with each other, aggervation with other, and or misinterpret each other in a bad way. We all have to take the time and effort to try to not have a bad circumstance go down due to lack of effort or understanding each other.

I should have said: "so somebody riddle me this" ... as that was my intention. I didn't expect you or Carnack to come up with the answer - only the dudes at Champion would know, so it was a rhetorical question. I bet Carnack doesn't even know. And I know you were joking because I know you might have taken it as a direct question to you and though your response was appropriate ... so I got a chuckle from it.
grin2.gif

All is cool ... no worries.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Stranger still when you post you called Wix about WIX XP efficiency being 50% at 20 microns, and tell everyone else who questions it to call Wix themselves, then later the answer is 99% at 35 microns from someone else who calls themself.

Oh, and BTW do you understand why WIX stated 99% at 35 microns a year after I called them and they told me 50% at 20 microns? Which happened to be what WIX also once showed for the XP on their wesite a long time ago.

Hint: And now based on recent post in the last couple days they won't tell anyone anything when they call WIX today and ask what the XP efficiency is.
crazy.gif

I’m trying to figure out how and why most oil filter reviews tend to morph into a FRAM Infomercial? I am pretty sure the same old scripted points will soon be made.
By the way, the Champion filter appears to be a well made product.

Last edited:
I agree MParr that the Champion oil filter does seem like a good quality filter. Seems like a old Mobil 1 extended oil filter that is $6.99 everyday price at Pep Boys. Worthy of buying in my book.

They look like a decent filter, now if they could get the price down a little-$7.19 for a non-syn media filter of Mexican origin and unknown efficiency is a little on the steep side, I can usually get Ultras for close to that from eBay, RA, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
They look like a decent filter, now if they could get the price down a little-$7.19 for a non-syn media filter of Mexican origin and unknown efficiency is a little on the steep side, I can usually get Ultras for close to that from eBay, RA, etc.

Pep Boys typically runs online/pickup sales from 20 to 35% off. I got this on sale as part of an oil deal 5 qt SOPUS w/ Champion filter $13.99 Conv/15.99 HM /23.99 Synth after rebate. You can enter the rebate online and I never had a problem.

Last edited:
Quote:
It is 99%* efficiency.

http://fme-cat.com/livedocs/OilFilterSellSheet_021115.pdf

99% with asterisk to the bottom saying ISO 4548-12 but no micron level. 'IMO' seems like a lot of effort to publish everything but a vital piece needed to complete efficiency information.
21.gif
Without it only hearsay, also imo. Not that the average joe blow buying these cares much about that.

Quite frankly the one linked didn't look all that impressive to me. In my observation seen other filters with a less wide pleat spacing get nicked for it here.

And while it seems implied if not stated that these are made by the same US Champ(ion)Labs filters. However rather than made in US made in some factory in Mexico apparently for Fed/Mog? IDK. Possible I suppose but never seen a US made Champ Labs filter with a coil compression spring or a similar looking recessed type dome bypass.

All that said, no dog in this fight and unlikely to use one. Just my .02.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
It is 99%* efficiency.

99% with asterisk to the bottom saying ISO 4548-12 but no micron level. 'IMO' seems like a lot of effort to publish everything but a vital piece needed to complete efficiency information.
21.gif
Without it only hearsay, also imo. Not that the average joe blow buying these cares much about that.

Quite frankly the one linked didn't look all that impressive to me. In my observation seen other filters with a less wide pleat spacing get nicked for it here.

And while it seems implied if not stated that these are made by the same US Champ(ion)Labs filters. However rather than made in US made in some factory in Mexico apparently for Fed/Mog? IDK. Possible I suppose but never seen a US made Champ Labs filter with a coil compression spring or a similar looking recessed type dome bypass.

All that said, no dog in this fight and unlikely to use one. Just my .02.

They also say "up to" 99% somewhere. I looked and found they have COS4967 and COS4386, which Champ Labs doesn't do both as far as I know. Even Delco gets the 4967 size covering both, and Mobil 1 filters too. So I am guessing they aren't Champ Labs but who knows.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Looked at the cartridge for my Carrera. Very high quality Hengst clone. Made in Bulgaria.

And the one for my BMW, made in China.

Quote:
It is 99%* efficiency.

21.gif

Mostly if it's stellar at 99% @ 20u. They should be plastering that all over the place - their marketing sucks big time. At least they referenced ISO 4548-12.

Yeah true indeed. Whoever did all that... Did not ride the regular bus when they were a kid.

Hey guys,make sure you open these and check the louvers out. I was at Pep Boys today checking them out and they were less than impressive. Air filter for my f150 looked solid and was more impressive. Just sayin. ....

Per Motorking, these were never manufactured by Champion Laboratories nor Fram.

Motorking Quote Link

I still think these are made by a toll processor at the factory built & subsequently closed by Champion Laboratories before the Frampion days, located in Saltillo, Mexico, as I previously posted in the first thread I linked in this discussion.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
...They also say "up to" 99% somewhere. I looked and found they have COS4967 and COS4386, which Champ Labs doesn't do both as far as I know. Even Delco gets the 4967 size covering both, and Mobil 1 filters too. So I am guessing they aren't Champ Labs but who knows.

Fwiw, I agree. The main reason I questioned a US Champ Labs relationship is 'IMO' there seemed to be an implication in the linked thread that there 'could' be some current relationship for the topic Mexican made Fed/Mog Champion and the current US company.

Also reading the comment in this thread seemingly based on that same implication saying "....This Champion oil filter made it Champion Lab is a very good filter. It is basically a old Mobil 1 extended oil filter with the older higher effiency filter media.... That's a doggone good deal for what is in every essence a Mobil 1 oil filter which had high efficiency and high capacity...." That statement would now appear to be debunked 'imo'.

As for the topic filter efficiency, I don't what it is. Just seems from reading this board that some filters based on either appearance, (eg. the off shored filters with straight pleats no efficiency info) or some bias speculation, are given the benefit of the doubt without complete published confirmation/documentation. Main point, IMO it should be consistent for all filters discussed.

As for the topic filter efficiency, I don't what it is. Just seems from reading this board that some filters based on either appearance, (eg. the off shored filters with straight pleats no efficiency info) or some bias speculation, are given the benefit of the doubt without complete published confirmation/documentation. Main point, IMO it should be consistent for all filters discussed.

Isn't that a little cold it would do away with the business hype and B. S. game! While putting everyone on level ground.

Last edited:
To be clear on the part of post quoted. The filters manufactures will do what they do about efficiency information. Be it, published complete ISO info, partial/incomplete information like topic filter, or none at all like majority off shored mostly jobber filters that "look good". I have no problem with that as I know how to read them all and make my own decision. And doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't use one from any of those categories.

My specific reference is to discussions on this board that 'imo' appear to give benefit of doubt to some filters based on other than actual published complete information. That said, for some that doesn't matter which is ok by me. Folks should use what they like and makes them happy, I do. Just not for giving benefit of the doubt on filter efficiency to a filter or filters based on other than documentation/confirmation.

To be clear on the part of post quoted. The filters manufactures will do what they do about efficiency information. Be it, published complete ISO info, partial/incomplete information like topic filter, or none at all like majority off shored mostly jobber filters that "look good". I have no problem with that as I know how to read them all and make my own decision. And doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't use one from any of those categories.

My specific reference is to discussions on this board that 'imo' appear to give benefit of doubt to some filters based on other than actual published complete information. That said, for some that doesn't matter which is ok by me. Folks should use what they like and makes them happy, I do. Just not for giving benefit of the doubt on filter efficiency to a filter or filters based on other than documentation/confirmation.

How do you really know what you like when the won't give you candid information about their product? Other people can ignore it and do as they like but I want to be in a position to make an informed decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back