Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Originally Posted By: car51
Dam right!

Some "people" here are stuck on FAR, and other B.S. Oil deals

I'll take my $1/quart clearance stuff from AZ

ST OIL is fine for my "older" 2009 Camry anyways

I for one am stuck on FAR and similar oil deals.
These allow one to use quality oils that have complete add packs and good cold end numbers for a fraction of the cost of Walmart's store brand.
Wonder what the PAO content of ST might be? We already know what it is for M1 AFE or EP. How 'bout GTL basestock content? We already know what SOPUS uses in current PP formulations.
If one eschews MIRs and considers them "B.S.", then one can buy store brand oils from either Meijer or RK for less money than Walmart will part with ST for.
I noted this above.
As I asked above, if this stuff is such a wonderful oil at such a righteous price, then why doesn't even Walmart itself use it in their TLEs?
At the end of the day, ST doesn't seem to present much of a value proposition.
Those who think it does can certainly use it while the rest of us will spend the same or less coin on other brands.

Name recognition does not equal better quality.
If oil meets specs it will be fine for 95% of cars on the road.
And for folks who are into the Dexos [censored],ST meets that.

These allow one to use quality oils that have complete add packs and good cold end numbers for a fraction of the cost of Walmart's store brand.

ST has an incomplete add pack? You claimed (above) they were missing moly. Not true.
What else are you claiming about the add pack that isn't true?

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

ST has an incomplete add pack? You claimed (above) they were missing moly. Not true.
What else are you claiming about the add pack that isn't true?

So you found a unicorn UOA purportedly from ST?
Good for you!
You might do a little more research.
Guess what PQIA's two most recent VOAs show for the moly content of ST?
A big goose egg.
You might also check a little more into the UOA sub-forum.
Most of the ST UOAs I looked at showed the same moly content that PQIA found.
Please don't attribute inaccuracies to my posts when using incomplete research in formulating yours.

ST seems to go for $3.29 in the store while Harvest King is $1.69 and a syn-blend. ST is generic oil for your engine so it will do in a pinch. While the TLE part of Walmart uses Quaker State as their least expensive oil change package under $20. They probably figure their TLE customer's want a name brand oil in the car esp if they ever get questioned on it.

But for the diy crowd they have the ST option available for those watching every penny. Some just want the cheapest oil no matter what. ST is for them.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

ST has an incomplete add pack? You claimed (above) they were missing moly. Not true. What else are you claiming about the add pack that isn't true?
So you found a unicorn UOA purportedly from ST? Good for you! You might do a little more research. Guess what PQIA's two most recent VOAs show for the moly content of ST? A big goose egg. You might also check a little more into the UOA sub-forum. Most of the ST UOAs I looked at showed the same moly content that PQIA found. Please don't attribute inaccuracies to my posts when using incomplete research in formulating yours.

You didn't look at Jack Squat.
I found 4 SuperTech synthetic oils WITH MOLY. Wow, that's a lot of "unicorns"!!
banana2.gif

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...h_5#Post4508304
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4623831/Supertech_5w-30_syn;_7k_mi;_20
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2225492
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3057648

Also, look at full-syn Warren Performance Products (SuperTech maker) Mag1 0w20 on pqia and you'll see moly.

Once again, you need to check PQIA as I indicated above.
Reliable information from a reliable lab.
So you found four ST UOAs showing moly content on here?
Out of a total sample size of what multiple of that four?

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
For all intensive purposes, I'd say 0W-20 and 5W-20 and are interchangeable.

Don't see the reason to have both on the shelf unless there's a price difference.

Yes and no. Most times when I vehicle maker is calling out only a 0W-20 grade and not 5W-20 as a alternate, is because they are wanting you to use a synthetic oil and not a conventional. 0W-20 by default has to be a synthetic to make grade, a 5W-20 does not and can also be a conventional base oil.

If both grades were full synthetic, I would agree they probably would interchange in most instances. So there is a need to have both on the shelf and not one in lieu of the other.

Here we go again, we're getting into that "how much protection is enough" hole. If an oil protects you engine over a wide range of operating conditions, then, how much is it worth to use an oil that would protect it even more. In other words, if an oil could be formulated to produce "zero" wear, then what advantage would it be to use a more expensive oil with more sophisticated add pack? I personally know guys who use ANY oil, mixed with ANY oil, and almost never change it and still get reasonable life out of their cars. For a lot of us, we won't keep a vehicle long enough to know the difference. For those who do keep one long enough, I'd bet that you could never tell the difference between the use of top tier oils, and ST, RK, AZ, Oriellys etc.
It all gets down to what you're comfortable with, but I gotta tell you, oil sales is A LOT of hype. We get all up in the air about moly, yet some really good oils have none, then it's Titanium, and again some have none, Boron, yatta, yatta, yatta.
You can argue all day long, but there's just too many cars going too many miles with cheap (not inferior) oils, and you just don't see them along side the road dead. I like some of the higher end oils, and I'm also affected by the hype somewhat, as the oil companies have done a real good job of advertising and scaring us into thinking we need the best. Heck some of the conventionals carry that ludicrous 350K miles warranty etc. How many have ever proven an oil related failure?
Have you ever read any of the ST UOAs?

Last edited:
You make a good point.
Most folks run bulk oil on intervals they're not sure of and nothing bad happens.
Yeah, if you took a valve cover off, you'd find heavy varnish and some deposits, but not enough to matter.
The unenlightened short trip their cars in cold weather with no concerns and think nothing of idling them for many minutes at a time and nothing bad happens. Lord knows they don't follow severe service intervals even where they may be appropriate.
Maybe some of us get a little OCD about what to use and how often to change it?
I'm guilty of that but then everyone here is as well.

You make a good point.
Most folks run bulk oil on intervals they're not sure of and nothing bad happens.
Yeah, if you took a valve cover off, you'd find heavy varnish and some deposits, but not enough to matter.
The unenlightened short trip their cars in cold weather with no concerns and think nothing of idling them for many minutes at a time and nothing bad happens. Lord knows they don't follow severe service intervals even where they may be appropriate.

Maybe some of us get a little OCD about what to use and how often to change it?

I'm guilty of that but then everyone here is as well.

I'm not OCD, I'm CDO (in the correct order...) and proud of it
smile.gif

How many are seeing this stuff … ? I’m not …
However … in the last 6 weeks got the following on sale:
PP
QSUD
Mobil 1
Delo 400
Delvac 1
Valvoline MST
(Various grades)
The hardest to find a good price on has been 0w20

I have a new Honda Odyssey. I love the idea of this price and convenience. Looking st it I see Dexos 1 Gen 2. There are lots of oils out there that don’t meet that spec for more money. I thought Dexos 1 Gen 2 was a stricter requirement than ILSAC GF5 SN. Why should I be worried if it can hold up to deposit testing and high temperature testing requirements of
Dexos?

Just saw the new blue jugs of St 0w20 at my local WM. I'll defiantly pick some up when the Subaru needs it's next oil change.

Just copped a 5 quart jug of Supertech FS 0W20 and a M1 EP oil filter for $27 for my Subaru. The blue bottle does not have anything labeled under it so maybe Walmart got smart and made their own bottles. Not sure who supplies the oil.

I was going to buy Pennzoil Ultra but Walmart didn’t stock it. Real hot during the summer here and I’ll see how this stuff holds up...I just don’t see a point in spending all this extra money when the factory OCI is 6k. Maybe once my warranty is up I’ll start extending with higher end oils. But for now I say ST is probably on the same level as whatever the dealer puts in.

Originally Posted By: avacado11
Just copped a 5 quart jug of Supertech FS 0W20 and a M1 EP oil filter for $27 for my Subaru. The blue bottle does not have anything labeled under it so maybe Walmart got smart and made their own bottles. Not sure who supplies the oil. .. .. for now I say ST is probably on the same level as whatever the dealer puts in.

IF you have the 4-cylinder FB25, most aftermarket oil filters don't have Subaru's higher bypass valve pressure threshold. Wix 57055 and NAPA Gold 7055 does, and of course go with the Subaru-labelled OEM oil filter as another possibility. Not the Mobil1 oil filter or any Fram I know of, avoid them. Also, avoid Purolator because of past quality problems. I'd just run the Mobil1 oil filter for one oil change interval, and change it out next time with a Wix or NapaGold or OEM Subaru filter.

Last I saw, Warren Distribution blends and supplies Walmart's SuperTech oil, considered just fine and has the high performance dexos1 Gen2 rating, so good choice.
ST oil is likely about the same syn oil quality level (GroupIII) as Subaru dealer oil, with the added benefit that ST actually is proven to pass higher specs than Subaru's oil.

Originally Posted By: andrewp1998
0w 30 would be cool too. Alhtough you can get 0w30 M1 AFE at about 20$ at wallyworld on sale

And it's much better quality...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back