Ever pay a ridiculous amount for event tickets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've paid over $100 each time to see Rush play live at Dallas, OKC and Tulsa. But, these were absolute KILLER seats. Best money I've ever spent. I pay well over 1000 a year for season tickets to all Oklahoma Sooner football games, but I'll usually sell a couple of them during the season if I can't make it for some reason. One year, I paid $45 to see Sooners play BYU at the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington.....beer was $9 a bottle.....100 dollars later....AND they stinking lost and that's when Bradford got taken out with a shoulder injury and Landry Jones started.

Originally Posted By: Srt20
Are you married?

When married, you get used to paying ridiculous amounts of money for stuff. When you have kids, you get numb to paying ridiculous amounts for everything....

Im sure Ive paid ridiculous amount of money for many things including tickets to event. But Im so used to it, I put my mind into shut down mode when its time to see the bill or price.

Yes and two kids. But no, they obviously lived deprived childhoods...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZZman
200 + to me is ridiculous. I don't care to see something that bad. I wouldn't pay $ 100 to see my favorite band. No different than Paying 50.00 for a steak dinner to me is ridiculous no matter how good it tastes.

Yup, it's all relative.

We rarely go to concerts/events or go out for nice dinners, but when we do, I don't mind the expense.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
200 + to me is ridiculous. I don't care to see something that bad. I wouldn't pay $ 100 to see my favorite band. No different than Paying 50.00 for a steak dinner to me is ridiculous no matter how good it tastes.

Yup, it's all relative.

We rarely go to concerts/events or go out for nice dinners, but when we do, I don't mind the expense.

Yep. Even $250 tickets for an awesome concert is worth every penny.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I got a ticket for doing 90 in a 60 construction zone once.

It was certainly a ridiculous amount.
lol.gif

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice

Yup, it's all relative.

Yep. Even $250 tickets for an awesome concert is worth every penny.

Because what's the point in going if you need binoculars to see the act.

My wife and I don't go to a lot of concerts (certainly went to more before kids), but we have agreed that we won't go unless they're good seats.

$150/each for Kenny Chesney at FedEx Field is the most I've paid so far. Great seats.

When we saw Garth Brooks last year, he set it all up so that the tickets weren't insane. They were $75/each and I nabbed AWESOME seats.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
I got a ticket for doing 90 in a 60 construction zone once.

It was certainly a ridiculous amount.
lol.gif

lol.gif
thumbsup2.gif

It's called "vacation stopper"...
Luckily we stopped 50 yards before entering a construction zone.
Ridiculous was we where in a mini-minivan .........

YES!
Next Saturday I'm tasked with Mommy duty:
I have to take my girls to My Little Ponny!

I already dream of Whinny Pinky Rainbowy Unicorns......

Sure have. Although, "ridiculous" is very relative to the person. Paid over $400 for my wife to take our youngest daughter to Cavalia's Odysseo horse show. They were VIP tickets that gave them near front row seats, a very nice buffet dinner, snacks during the show, desserts during intermission, and a tour of the stables after the show. For a horse-crazy 7 year old girl, I would have paid 3x that much to see that look of sheer joy and wonder in her eyes.

No, I never paid big bucks to see anything. Years ago when the kids were at home, I couldn't afford it, and now I really have no desire to see most of the stuff around here. I did take a bus tour of New York city a couple months ago, and we went (with the tour) to 2 Broadway shows, and the prices were on the tickets, and I felt they were quite reasonable. No more , or maybe even less, than local big name shows. We saw the Rocketts Christmas show, which was spectacular, and Beautiful the Carol King story, and loved it.

I probably paid $200+ per ticket to some Vegas show. It was a while back, so I don't exactly remember.

My idea of "ridiculous" would be upwards of $1,000.

I paid $400 for 2 tickets to see the "History Of The Eagles" tour a few years ago. Got to see them before Glenn Frey passed away. Worth every penny and don't regret it in the least. I take my wife to a nice restaurant every year on our anniversary, the tab is usually around $200, again worth every penny. We don't live extravagantly, or above our means, but do splurge occasionally.

The cheap seats are torturous at Fenway Park and movie theaters. Let alone the price and hassle getting in and out of Fenway. I stay home. In general, the Sox seem to do better when I'm not watching
grin2.gif

I paid $30 to see Handels: Messiah in a very old church over a year ago with amazing acoustics choir and orchestra. It was worth every penny.

I have never shelled out big dollars for an event, I don't plan to either.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
We don't live extravagantly, or above our means, but do splurge occasionally.

Nothing wrong with that.

I paid $400 for a seat a few feet from the stage to see Rush for probably the 40th time when I knew this would be the very last time I'd ever see them. I'd do it again if the opportunity came up. Sadly for me, it wont...

I dont fault anyone for paying a hefty amount to see a show or event they want to see. I know someone who paid many hundreds for front row and meet & greet passes for Pink (that girl singer thing). I wouldnt have paid $5 even if it came with unlimited free beer, a chocolate donut and heavy duty set of FAA approved ear plugs. But she and her friend did, and more power to them, I support them 100%.

I paid ~$110 for the last Rush concert I saw when they played the whole "Moving Pictures" album. Friends were going and had bought a block that viewed from the side and above...paid a much higher price than mine. But, I had got mine from Ticketmaster about three hours before the show. Where??? Dead center stage and 19 rows back!! Tickets that were originally, I would guess, going for $400-500. Was I feeling a little like this:
banana2.gif
? Yup! Great show!

I'm not big fan of sitting close at concerts, my ears thank me for that.

OTOH, sitting close at some sporting events is a whole different and better experience that sitting further away. Number 1 in my books is an NBA game. Try sitting courtside within the free throw line 5 or 10 rows up and your mind might be changed forever as to the game.

Hockey in similar seats as for BBall is second best, even though I hardly pay attention to the sport. NFL games 15 or 20 rows up within the two 30 yard lines is third on my list.

Major League Baseball is a different sport. I believe sitting up aways is better than field level if you want to really see the game. Some people like the first rows behind home plate which IMO are horrible seats. Near the front of the second level within the two bases are best IMO.

If I were to hit lotto, half my time would be spent at variouis venues around the country sitting in the better seats.

Broadway plays in the first 10-15, center are pretty good, but not my favorite event.

My Mom loves horse racing.

I ponied up $1600 for 2 tickets to have NO ONE in front of us, as we stood against the rail, about 50 yards shy of the finish line at the Kentucky Derby.

Money well spent.

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
Friends were going and had bought a block that viewed from the side and above...paid a much higher price than mine. But, I had got mine from Ticketmaster about three hours before the show. Where??? Dead center stage and 19 rows back!! Tickets that were originally, I would guess, going for $400-500.

I have done this multiple times for "sold out" shows. Wait until about two hours before the show starts, about an hour before ticket sales cut off. My wife wanted to see Tim McGraw, and it was "sold out" and ticketmaster showed no seats available. I was all over Craigslist searching for overpriced tickets, and at about 5:00 pm (show was at 7:00) I went on ticketmaster, searched for 2 tickets. BOOM, 1st row, a couple seats off center. She was ecstatic to say the least. Just a little while before this, there were zero seats available. Our friend was about 10 rows behind us and paid hundreds to a scalper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back