2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost 6200 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
11200 miles on unit with Dealer bulk changed at 6200 miles, 10W30 Penzoil Platnum back in with a FL500 filter. Oil life monitor showed 36% left and 331 total hrs with 53 idle hrs. This last fill had 3000 miles of towing 7500 lbs from Michigan to Atlanta multiple times. As far as the fuel % being higher the only thing that was different was I pulled the sample after on letting the engine idle a short time instead of after a road trip and some remote starting. The towing was done early in the oil change. 1st sample is factory fill and 2nd is dealer bulk. Next oil will be Castrol Magatec 10W30.

The numbers seem really good with the towing load and being new, the Ecos are really nice. Get to driving that P/U so we can see the Magnetec results.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Scramblerguy
10W30 Penzoil Platnum back in with a FL500 filter. .... Next oil will be Castrol Magatec 10W30.

With fuel dilution in a towing, turbo-ed DI ecoboost, I'd use the tougher oils: Any 229.5-spec 0w40 or 5w40 you see on the shelf at walmart. It would soak up the fuel dilution better, becoming a 30-weight in no time really. Currently, you're getting the viscosity protection of a thin 20-weight.
About the FL500, note it is famous for tearing holes in its media which you can't see. Its made by Purolator currently on double-secret probation at bitog. A Fram Ultra is the best oil filter here.

I'm old and confused
smile.gif
HELP!

I have no idea what oil was run on your last sample.
11200 - 4900 = 6300. What is 6200 referencing?
You mention dealer bulk, but then PP back in then Castrol Magnetec next.

I'm not happy with the synthetic magnetic 5w30 multigrade. Maybe I got a bad batch, but the semi syn maggy - thatI was impressed with and had shown good numbers - worked MUCH better and quieter at high rpm high/ load than current. I am even thinking about dumping current fill as the engine is so noisy at RPM! I have about 3.7K now

Aside: 10w30 QSUD was the best oil ive run in the past decade - Stupendous performance in all areas free of criticism.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
10W30 Penzoil Platnum back in with a FL500 filter. .... Next oil will be Castrol Magatec 10W30.

With fuel dilution in a towing, turbo-ed DI ecoboost, I'd use the tougher oils: Any 229.5-spec 0w40 or 5w40 you see on the shelf at walmart. It would soak up the fuel dilution better, becoming a 30-weight in no time really. Currently, you're getting the viscosity protection of a thin 20-weight.
About the FL500, note it is famous for tearing holes in its media which you can't see. Its made by Purolator currently on double-secret probation at bitog. A Fram Ultra is the best oil filter here.

Ok thanks for the comments I just read the other day about the FL500 filters, I'll cut mine open and inspect it, but I might just go with the Fram next time.

UncleDave said:
which rear end do you have?

UD [/quote
3.55 Max Tow package. I have to say the 36 gallon fuel tank is nice to have when towing when you only get 10 mpg. Overall I'm really pleased with the power of the Ecoboost.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite

I'm old and confused
smile.gif
HELP!

I have no idea what oil was run on your last sample.
11200 - 4900 = 6300. What is 6200 referencing?
You mention dealer bulk, but then PP back in then Castrol Magnetec next.

I'm not happy with the synthetic magnetic 5w30 multigrade. Maybe I got a bad batch, but the semi syn maggy - thatI was impressed with and had shown good numbers - worked MUCH better and quieter at high rpm high/ load than current. I am even thinking about dumping current fill as the engine is so noisy at RPM! I have about 3.7K now

Aside: 10w30 QSUD was the best oil ive run in the past decade - Stupendous performance in all areas free of criticism.

1st sample was factory fill 2nd was dealer bulk, right now I have 10W30 Penzoil Platnum in it, next change after the Platnum will be Magnatec. As far as the miles on the last oil it just shows I can't add. Hope this helps.

UncleDave said:

UD [/quote
3.55 Max Tow package. I have to say the 36 gallon fuel tank is nice to have when towing when you only get 10 mpg. Overall I'm really pleased with the power of the Ecoboost.

I have towed 1000 miles with a 3:55 and a 1K miles on a 3:73 truck for total of 2K towing miles both 2011 6 speed 27(?) gallon trucks.
Between these two I think Id go for the 3:73 truck and eat some tiny amount of mileage

Ive towed 80K plus mile 7500lb with my 04 titan.

A 36 gallon tank would be awesome and the ten speed must be incredible iwith 7500 on it.

UD

Last edited:
UncleDave said:

UD [/quote

Just want to say, the rear end ratio was big deal back in the day when there were 3 speed and 4 speed automatics. Now we have 6,8, and 10 speed autos. My 6 liter engine in my 3/4 ton has a 6 speed. It has a 3.73 rear end. I'm able to tow in any gear. The tranny has two overdrive gears. The owners manual recommends towing in fourth gear. Fourth gear is not a 1:1 ratio. It is an under drive, so my equivalent ratio is no longer 3.73. It's closer to 4.11. Same with the Ford trucks. By gearing down to the first underdrive ratio, that 3.55 can be closer to a 3.73 equivalent, or even higher depending what gear you select. The days of 3.42, 3.73. 4.11 are old school and almost meaningless now. Just say'n.

Last edited:
I noticed a big difference in heat (105) and altitude 2500ft with the 6 speed 373 and 355 trucks.

Maybe with the new ten speed I wouldn't.

UD

Originally Posted By: UncleDave
I noticed a big difference in heat (105) and altitude 2500ft with the 6 speed 373 and 355 trucks.

UD

Were you towing in your top overdrive, or did you gear down to a lower transmission gear.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

UD

Were you towing in your top overdrive, or did you gear down to a lower transmission gear.

I row the box manually in the hills. Have decades of towing experience.

With 7500 on the tail - theres at min a gear sometimes 2 between those two trucks - cant say about the new ones.
Not at all unworkable - but there is a notable difference.

Enough to where if I were buying a 6 speed truck Id for sure go the 373 route and eat the difference.

The ten speed likely mitigates this with so many cogs in the box.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Warning: High vis guy. Not what Ford recommends. Just say'n.
Funny. Only in the presence of fuel dilution, and with towing it becomes a no-brainer to support OFT on the Stribeck. You forget or ignore that the 0w40 becomes a "30" pretty quick, having a little margin to keep wear down. Better than having a 30 thin to a 20.

Have we seen tearing in the FL500s? I am aware of other MC and Puro's with tears on here, but not the 500s. If I'm wrong on this let me know. I once subbed a FU for the 500s and had to replace it early due to leaking. Might have been an install issue but back to the MC for me.

Originally Posted By: spj
Have we seen tearing in the FL500s? I am aware of other MC and Puro's with tears on here, but not the 500s. If I'm wrong on this let me know. I once subbed a FU for the 500s and had to replace it early due to leaking. Might have been an install issue but back to the MC for me.
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4626006/Motorcraft_FL-500_C&P.
I'd rather just select one of the many brands that don't get holes in them. Purolator & Motorcraft are junk.

Cut your OCI down to 5000 miles. That's too much fuel dilution. Remember that most of the fuel evaporates. That means your oil is being substantially diluted by non evaporating fuel by products. To back that up, you are clearly down at the lower end of the viscosity range.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Cut your OCI down to 5000 miles. That's too much fuel dilution. Remember that most of the fuel evaporates. That means your oil is being substantially diluted by non evaporating fuel by products. To back that up, you are clearly down at the lower end of the viscosity range.

I agree about the 5000 mile change, I am going to change the oil next at 15000 to get back on line with 5000. I didn't want to go longer that 5000 last time but my plate was full, sometimes life happens. Thanks for the comments Cujet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back