Side load garbage trucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
The garbage company in my area recently got these automated trucks where two claws come down a track and pickup the can. This eliminates manual labor and jobs, but the issue is they don't pick up stuff put beside the trash can. Are you not supposed to put stuff next to the can anymore now?

I looked at the truck design and you can't really manually throw stuff in by hand. I had some folded up boxes next to the can. I'm trying to decide if he didn't pick them up because they can technically be recycled. He picked up the can and left my broken down boxes laying there on the ground. Lol

We have town garbage collection and a few years ago they gave residents two cans for garbage and recyclables. Now a single driver comes around and picks/dumps the cans. They'll only pick up the cans.

Competition is great where I live and the driver gets out and does load items outside the can.

We have the same thing here. They issue us two cans, one for trash, and one for recyclables. Here they WILL pickup stuff next to the can. I even leave my used motor oil right on top of the trash can and they pick it up and recycle it for me for free. Awesome service here.

Not here....if it's on the ground, it stays on the ground. But, those are pretty big trash bins. They pick up every week along with your recyclables. I can't see generating that much trash in one week, if you also do recycling, to warrant overflow unless maybe around Christmas. One thing about those trucks, they are really rough on those plastic trash cans but those things are pretty tough.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
The garbage company in my area recently got these automated trucks where two claws come down a track and pickup the can. This eliminates manual labor and jobs, but the issue is they don't pick up stuff put beside the trash can. Are you not supposed to put stuff next to the can anymore now?

The drivers are becoming fat and lazy. They only drive and operate the mechanical arm. They do not pick up anything on the side. If you have extra pile it up on top with lid open. Force them to deal with it.

They do not put the cans back neatly, half the time they put them back knocked over.

They also need to go up and back on each road. The arm only handles one side.

If you have styrofoam peanuts, put them in a bag not loose in the trash can. Ask me how I know!

Nothing outside the cans is picked up in my area. The exception is recycled oil, which must be placed 2 feet beside the recycling can in an oil container. They usually will only take one per recycle week which is every other week.

The crew of the trucks has been reduced from two or three people to one. The extra people used to ride on the outside of the truck and hop off to load trash at each stop. It would be very time consuming for the driver to get in and out of the cab to do that job.

In our town, there are at least 4 different private companies that pick up garbage. The company I have been useing for the past several years always has 2 or even 3 people on the truck, and they take EVERYTHING. Well, not oil or tires. They are really good, and even treat the cans good. I would hate t have a city run service, with no competition, and no incentive to do a good job.

In some towns, you have to pay for garbage pickup and they have different size cans at different fees. They only pick up what is in the can.

Back in college when I lived in the fraternity house, we had to contract with the town for trash removal. Our contract was for 3 bags of garbage each week. One week we have 4 bags. They only picked up 3 and left 1 on the curb. The next week we had our typical 3 bags worth of garbage but because they left 1 back, we were back to 4 bags. They only picked up 3. Left 1 on the curb. This went on for about 5 weeks until we finally generated only 2 bags of garbage and they took all 3 bags at the curb.

Man that's a bummer. Here in MPLS the city runs the trash. You can leave ANYTHING out there and they'll take it. Mattress', fridges, dead bodies (kidding), seriously anything and they'll take it for no additional fee.

Nothing outside the cans here are picked up except on specific days.. once every 2-3 months they have an extra day where you can put out 1 big item or 3 bags.

We’ve had those trucks for almost twenty years here. I’m surprised they seen new to some.

The OP doesn’t have a recycle dumpster or a yard waste one? Your cardboard and aluminium and other recyclables go into that. A separate truck stops by our place.

Yes I still remember the three man trucks with two guys hanging off the back.

Amazing that labor costs are that high that buying a new truck (trucks?) is cheaper than one or two extra bodies. I guess that is seen everywhere, but I'm still kinda surprised.

Originally Posted By: supton
Amazing that labor costs are that high that buying a new truck (trucks?) is cheaper than one or two extra bodies. I guess that is seen everywhere, but I'm still kinda surprised.
They have to replace worn or outdated ones anyway.

We have had that system for years.
The doofuses that run the truck do a wonderful job turning major thoroughfares into "slalom" courses in which defensive driving is paramount in avoiding trash totes.

They have started going back the other way here. I think the trucks that they are using now have an arm on the rear and a man or two to load the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back