VW 1.6tdi - CJ4 instead of VW507?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey!

I'm a bus mechanic, so I have plenty access to free CJ4 oils, 5w-30 vecton fuel save e6/e9.

Would it kill my car, a SEAT Ibiza 1.6tdi (common rail) if I used the CJ4 oil, instead of VW507? Cheers.

Jeg ville ikke bekymre mig om det. Både cj4 og e6/e9 er ret høje krav.. og er også beregnet til partikelfilter, den skal også have en HTHS på min. 3.5 ligesom VW 507.00 normen. du kunne for en sikkerheds skyld skifte ved dobbelt interval når nu olien er gratis. Men vil mene olien er helt på højde

Last edited:
Will it cause problems?

Almost certainly not, HOWEVER:

The big difference between CJ4 oils and 504/507 blends is the ash (SAPS) content. 1% for CJ4 and 0.6% for 504/507. With the EGR/DPF systems on modern small displacement TDi's, blends are specifically designed to limit carbon build-up (especially in the intake tract.) Also the vast majority of CJ4 oils are Mineral G2 oils, thus tend to have higher NOACK values. All 504/507 oils are synthetic and as a result have higher viscosity indices and lower NOACK.

Higher NOACK values for large Diesel engines are not really an issue, as the sump's are massive 10->20L+ is not uncommon for on-road use (sumps in excess of 100L are common on large stationary engines and mining equipment.) Thus the oil, even in constant high load applications (say a generator or a mining truck hauling up hill) tends to remain cooler than in a small displacement passenger diesels. The large units also tend to have massive oil coolers.

Further more they operate at lower RPM (often
I'm sure there are punters running far worse oils in their VW TDi's, but VW spent a great deal of time, engineering and money ensuring that their engines with the 504/507 spec is the best combination when all things are considered.

I personally use 504/507 Shell Helix Ultra 0W30 in my vehicles (which are not from VW) as it's SN rated and has a VI of >200 with a very low NOACK (can't remember specifically.) It's not that expensive (even in Australia) and is good piece of mind.

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
Much was covered, and I couldn't even begin to build upon what shDK said.
wink.gif
What I would add is that the Vecton would not kill your cats. The E6 lube is low phosphorus.

Concur with JF Allen on the above observations between CJ4 vs VW507.
Having said this,typically used in diesel work machines under low speed,high torque,high load and high temperature, I'm of the opinion that a CJ4 E6 E9 Vecton 5W30 is more than adequate in protecting a super-light duty (from the perspective of work machines) 1.6 tdi, hence it could not kill the tdi.
The pertinent question to ask is their respective OCI's, not protection capability per se.
JMHO.

Last edited:
If the engine burns relativity little oil I would use it and not look back! Rein in the OCI's a little bit and get a few UOA done before you start to extend them again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back