Notchy steering and greasing Moog tie rods

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed the steering becomes notchy on my Accord if I don't grease the Moog tie rod ends every 5k miles or so. This is moreso evident during the colder months. I know you have to periodically refresh the grease in these things but getting reduced steering performance in only 5k miles...? I use Valvoline DuraBlend grease and am pretty sure it doesn't break down that quickly.

Non-greasable tie rods last years with the factory grease and don't cause notchy steering. What's the deal with Moog tie rods, a supposed 'premium' product?

When it comes to foreign vehicles, I rely on OEM parts. It's double the price, but peace of mind. At least for me.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

While I am not a fan of greaseable tie rods I suspect the root cause is possibly a weak PS pump.
Do not buy a reman or aftermarket pump for these, Honda has one without the pulley for a low price that works well. Swapping the pulley is easy.

Originally Posted By: Trav
While I am not a fan of greaseable tie rods I suspect the root cause is possibly a weak PS pump.
Do not buy a reman or aftermarket pump for these, Honda has one without the pulley for a low price that works well. Swapping the pulley is easy.

The car's had an AAP reman'd pump for the past 2 yrs. I know these don't have a stellar reputation but mine's been good so far; no whining, stiffness, etc. I believe the issue's tie rod related because the notchiness goes away after adding a few shots of fresh grease.

I bought some RP syn grease to see if it makes a difference. Interestingly, I came across this PDF by Moog that recommends only using syn grease.

Originally Posted By: mclasser

The car's had an AAP reman'd pump for the past 2 yrs. I know these don't have a stellar reputation but mine's been good so far; no whining, stiffness, etc. I believe the issue's tie rod related because the notchiness goes away after adding a few shots of fresh grease.

I bought some RP syn grease to see if it makes a difference. Interestingly, I came across this PDF by Moog that recommends only using syn grease.

There should be no change in steering feel in 5K. When Honda pumps get weak and most do eventually this is exactly how they act.
Increase the RPM to 1200 and see if it is still notchy, if not its 100% the pump.

Added some RP grease and the notchiness is gone. We'll see for how long. Crossing my fingers that I don't need a new pump, Trav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back