Code reader scan tool recomendations OBDII ABS

I want to get a scan tool that will do more than just check engine lights. For example I have ABS errSS error message on my 2005 suburu and autozone will only use the check engine light code reader and won't scan for ABS issues. I have 3 vehicles in my household, 2004 Ram 1500, 2005 suburu outback and a 2007 Hyundai Sonata. So would like it to be compatible with all 3, and to be able to do more troubleshooting such as ABS codes.
I'm thinking of trying the new ones that just came out at Harbor Freight (Zurich)ZR11 or ZR13 that can read ABS/SRS and a few other systems. Any recommendations appreciated, thanks.

How much do you want to spend? I use the Innova 31703 scan tool which reads enhanced OBD2 codes as well as SRS ABS and OBD 1. You can go on the Innova website and check out the vehicles and model years supported. XTOOL makes some good clones but their instructions really suck, probably because they google translated chinese to english. I eally like the Innova because they provide updates for free.

I have an Autel AL609 that had been great to me, does ABS and OBD2. Looks like the AL619 has replaced it and added SRS support. $120 on Amazon right now.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
I have an Autel AL609 that had been great to me, does ABS and OBD2. Looks like the AL619 has replaced it and added SRS support. $120 on Amazon right now.

Hmmm? Just googled. 109 bucks for the AL619 if I order and pickup at my local Walmart..
thumbsup2.gif

Dang it! Just read the small print, covers many vehicles but not Suburu.

Finding a scanner that fully supports a Subaru will be a challenge, VW and most of the Volkswagen Automotive Group vehicles are the same. I had to buy a separate scanner just for my wife's VW in order to properly scan the vehicle. I would recommend that you check out some dedicated Subaru forums and see what those folks are using. I did that for my VW and got lots of great info and links.

I have an Auto Xray EZ6000 scan tool and don't think it does ABS codes. Kind of frustrated with this scanner since I paid good money for it and it came with lifetime updates. However, I don't think the company is in business so no updates are available.

So, looks like I will be in the market for a new scanner. Will watch this thread for information.

axy-ax6000_w_ml.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
BlueDriver plug-in module ($100) with free smartphone/tablet software for either Apple or Android. I got it because it gets you to things like the ABS module, TCM, and TIPM instead of just the PCM.

https://www.bluedriver.com/buy-now

Yeah I was looking at that one. According to the specs would only support one of our 3 vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Gimpy1
How much do you want to spend? I use the Innova 31703 scan tool which reads enhanced OBD2 codes as well as SRS ABS and OBD 1. You can go on the Innova website and check out the vehicles and model years supported. XTOOL makes some good clones but their instructions really suck, probably because they google translated chinese to english. I eally like the Innova because they provide updates for free.

Exactly what do I need the updates for if all I want is a code that I can do an internet search on?

I went with this guy when my quick OBD scanner took a dump after 15 years. The oil light resets are great, and it can do parking brake on many VW/Audi. I used it this morning on a 13 Q5 2.0t for rear brakes. It does full system scans on BMW and Mercedes, but cannot do activations. I also used it to read the SMG faults in an 04 BMW M3 today, and also worked on a 97 318i for basic stuff (older BMWs need a 20 pin tool under the hood to read all modules.) I couldnt imagine it not working on Subaru.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVD4FV6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Look at the ones that connect to a smartphone via bluetooth. If that does not satisfy your needs then spend more money.

The top of the line ones are bidirectional. (AutoEnginuity)

Finding somethng that will cover multiple makes of cars on the cheap may be challenging.
My VW and Audi habit necessitated an OBDII scanner specifically for VAG products. I got myself a OBDELEVEN Pro for Christmas and for $79 it is awesome. It pulls codes with internet based content as to what the problems could be. It also allows me to modify how the turn signals blink, brighten or dim the head/tail lights, needle sweep on start up. My Audi was a Season of Audi Edition which puts it in btwn the base premium and the second level premium plus when it comes to options. With this handy little thing ive enabled needle sweep and automatic dimming high beams which is an option on the higher level models but it seems Audi equips all cars with the hardware but just has the options disabled on the lower models. I could even turn on lane keep assist but wont because i dont like the thought of the car reading the road and moving the wheel on its own.

Originally Posted By: stenerson
Originally Posted By: Audios
I couldnt imagine it not working on Subaru.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WVD4FV6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was looking at the Autel 808pro which didn't do suburu, but this one 802 elite model does according to the specs.. Thanks

When I just checked the Autel website, I found this: http://download908bak.auteltech.net:8080/Download/Veh/MD808/EX/Subaru/en_MaxiDiag_E_Subaru%20FUNCLIST.pdf

Autel....Support/Updates.....Knowledge Base.....plug in the scan tool model and vehicle brand.....search

Most of the major scan tool brands have a place where you can search what each model covers. Even then, there are no guarantees. These lower models often lag behind a few years on enhanced code updates and it's not unusual for them to have some quirks with certain vehicle brands.

You are going to have to spend a good amount of time to decipher all the info and find a unit that works for you.

I would stay with a company that might give you some support for the next 5 years. Harbor Freight is not one of them. I'm satisfied with my Autel DiagLink, which is a diy version of the MD802. I get software for one vehicle brand and can add others for $10 each. I got mine for $87 on an Amazon special deal.

...I was looking at the Autel 808pro which didn't do suburu, but this one 802 elite model does according to the specs.. Thanks

Saw this at the Autel forum:

Quote:
There is two MD802 models.
Autel MaxiDiag MD802 For All System + DS model: can read and clear codes on all available modules on domestic, Asian and European vehicles (1996 to present). Performs deep vehicle system coverage for all available electronic systems and access to the body, chassis, powertrain and on-board communication modules. The MD802 also supports all five OBDII Protocols and all 10 test modes.

Autel MaxiDiag MD802 For 4 System + DS model: only support Engine, Transmission, ABS, Airbag 4 systems +EPB + OIL Service Reset and support data stream function.

Isn't technology curve amazing? This capability would have cost you close $4000 just few years ago. Now for about $100, you get it!

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
BlueDriver plug-in module ($100) with free smartphone/tablet software for either Apple or Android. I got it because it gets you to things like the ABS module, TCM, and TIPM instead of just the PCM.

https://www.bluedriver.com/buy-now

Yeah I was looking at that one. According to the specs would only support one of our 3 vehicles.

E-mail them and ask about your specific vehicles. The phone app gets updated frequently telling me that "support for such-and-such vehicles added" or improved. They may be updating their software faster than the website that says what's currently supported.

Back