The chevy1500 diesel IS for real guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
The new diesel motor will not be a gasoline retrofit.

C'mon guys.

We all know that - I was just personally sharing an old story.

I think this is just attempt to increase fleet mpg. With SCR complications that all new diesels suffer from, increased mpg of gassers, I do not not see future for this truck.

I feel like the manufacturers are a bit late to the game on this.

Had they offered a small diesel in the half ton trucks in say the early 2000s when there weren't so many emissions regulations they would've sold millions.

Now diesel has pretty much jumped the shark. The only real benefit is for people who tow lots of weight long distances. The fuel is still quite a bit higher than gasoline (at least here) and the expensive purchase price combined with more expensive maintenance has many fleets going back to gas. Diesels simply aren't giving the return on investment like they used to.

Like the idea. We'll see how it pans out in a few years. I'm hoping they are past all the teething bugs on diesel emissions, but every new engine brings its own new can of worms to the table.

I'd love one. But not at the premium they'll likely charge, and not with the luxury package that will likely be required. It will likely be marketed like that more as a status symbol, which is, at least around here, a thing with diesels.

-m

Originally Posted By: meep
I'd love one. But not at the premium they'll likely charge, and not with the luxury package that will likely be required. It will likely be marketed like that more as a status symbol, which is, at least around here, a thing with diesels.

-m

Exactly. Will probably only be available on the LTZ if you get the 20" wheel and fancy chrome package.

I'm all in with it. It will be my replacement for the '11 Touareg TDI I sold back to VW. Mid range diesel torque is like crack to me. I can't give it up.

Let's see.... that new diesel 1500 is supposed to get 30 mpg. Just about any current 5.3 gasser 1500 can get 20 mpg. That is break even with regular in my area going for $2.40 a gallon and diesel going for $3.20. So outlay more to initially get the diesel and maintain it so that one can make a social statement and not save a dime in per mile fuel cost. Causes one to wonder what it is about diesel that seems to grab people. I go thru 21,000 gallons of the stuff each year for my various uses and I prefer to have a gasser 2500 than the Dmax version. Wouldn't even consider a diesel 1500.

Originally Posted By: wensteph
I'm all in with it. It will be my replacement for the '11 Touareg TDI I sold back to VW. Mid range diesel torque is like crack to me. I can't give it up.
The turbo eco gassers give you the same low/mid torque feel.

Originally Posted By: CT8

True. But I do tow, 5,000 to 6,000 lbs, and while a 2500 Duramax would be overkill, I think the new 1500 will somewhat match the ability of my Touareg. Similar curb weights, HP and TQ numbers with the VW having permanent AWD. I could tow at speed and get 12-14 with the VW. What I've been able to tell from an internet search is the Ecoboost would give 7-9. I put 173,000 miles on the 2011 Touareg so I certainly drive enough to get value out of the 'diesel premium'.

TLDR version is I like diesels.

Originally Posted By: CT8

True. But I do tow, 5,000 to 6,000 lbs, and while a 2500 Duramax would be overkill, I think the new 1500 will somewhat match the ability of my Touareg. Similar curb weights, HP and TQ numbers with the VW having permanent AWD. I could tow at speed and get 12-14 with the VW. What I've been able to tell from an internet search is the Ecoboost would give 7-9. I put 173,000 miles on the 2011 Touareg so I certainly drive enough to get value out of the 'diesel premium'.

TLDR version is I like diesels.

The 2.8 diesel Colorado and Canyon would be a closer match for your Touareg. They have class leading towing when diesel equipped, rated at ~ 8k lbs. The ‘19 diesel 1500 will probably be rated around 11-12k lbs.

To late to edit previous post.

TiredTrucker, I've got a 2017 1500 with the 5.3. Best average fuel economy has been 16ish and I towed the boat 1,500 miles with it and just don't like running the rpms I needed to run at speed. I felt like I was flogging it.

CleverUserName, I like the larger size of the Silverado.

Last edited:
Isnt the GM 2.8 diesel a VM Motori engine? I think the Dodge errr.. "Ram" 3.0 diesel is also VM Motori.

Chevy currently offers a Suburban HD3500. The only trim availible is lt and theyre priced around $100k.Their target customers are govt fleets and are usually destined for armor upfits hence the max towing weight of 3000lbs. Ive seen some unarmored, used 2016s with low mileage selling for upper $60s.
Lots of info here
https://youtu.be/9TG7U_2F8NI

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2016-Chevrolet-Suburban-LT-3500-t58878#listing=191273316

Isnt the GM 2.8 diesel a VM Motori engine? I think the Dodge errr.. "Ram" 3.0 diesel is also VM Motori.

Chevy currently offers a Suburban HD3500. The only trim availible is lt and theyre priced around $100k.Their target customers are govt fleets and are usually destined for armor upfits hence the max towing weight of 3000lbs. Ive seen some unarmored, used 2016s with low mileage selling for upper $60s.
Lots of info here
https://youtu.be/9TG7U_2F8NI

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2016-Chevrolet-Suburban-LT-3500-t58878#listing=191273316

Originally Posted By: Soggydog

The 2.8 duramax is based on the VM A428, however there were a number of changes and refinements made by GM engineering to make it more robust. The head, turbocharger, fuel injection, and some bottom end components among other things. The NA emissions system is also completely new.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Let's see.... that new diesel 1500 is supposed to get 30 mpg. Just about any current 5.3 gasser 1500 can get 20 mpg. That is break even with regular in my area going for $2.40 a gallon and diesel going for $3.20. So outlay more to initially get the diesel and maintain it so that one can make a social statement and not save a dime in per mile fuel cost. Causes one to wonder what it is about diesel that seems to grab people. I go thru 21,000 gallons of the stuff each year for my various uses and I prefer to have a gasser 2500 than the Dmax version. Wouldn't even consider a diesel 1500.

Diesel is tracking 2.79 vs. 2.59 for regular gas.

That 10MPG difference is significant here.

I'm going to guess that there is an even larger gap between real world city fuel economy than 33%.

What I've been able to tell from an internet search is the Ecoboost would give 7-9. I put 173,000 miles on the 2011 Touareg so I certainly drive enough to get value out of the 'diesel premium'.

6000 miles of dragging a 35 ft long, 11 ft high, 9000 lb travel trailer around the NE part of the USA puts an Ecoboost at 6-11 MPG, settling in at 8-9 for an average. Put a lot of hills in the mix and it's worse. Best I've ever seen on a flat section was 13. 55-60 seems to be the sweet spot. Hit 70-75 (speed limits in some parts) and you can almost watch the gauge go down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back