Wife got a brand new Fit...got oil ???s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: rojeda562
I'm 100% sure the Honda Genuine oil filters are the exact same as Fram Tough Guard, NOT the Orange Fram extra guard. Because the Tough Guard is the silver can, with synthetic blend media and silicone anti-drain back valve, good for 10,000 miles

The OEM Honda Frams use the orange can's media but with a silicone ADBV
smile.gif

I don’t think that is right either.

Uh, just to be sure we are all thinking the same thoughts: Honda's oil filter part # PLM-A02 (discussed above) is manufactured for Honda by Fram. The other "Honda" filter -- the PLM-A01 -- is manufactured by Filtech. The latter is (dare I say this?) a better filter: better media, more of it, and better construction.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
Uh, just to be sure we are all thinking the same thoughts: Honda's oil filter part # PLM-A02 (discussed above) is manufactured for Honda by Fram. The other "Honda" filter -- the PLM-A01 -- is manufactured by Filtech. The latter is (dare I say this?) a better filter: better media, more of it, and better construction.

You are correct and I have the pics to prove some of what you say. This is the ONLY Honda Filter I would use. I still have 2 left over from the Prelude days.

The bypass valve is different between the two OEM Hondas. I cut them open and posted here but I can't seem to find my old post. The Filtech one had a canister looking valve and the other one didn't. From cutting them both open and with visual info only, I would estimate 90% of people would have chosen the Filtech. The Filtech may have had metal end caps as well. I wish I could remember....

I’ve posted both A01’s and A02’s cut open though the A02’s were older versions when they were made in Canada. gregK24 (IIRC) posted a virgin A02 built in US.

The A01 is a Filtech (A US assembled Toko Roki) and the A02 is the Fram (Formally Honeywell). The A02 tested by Amsoil in the 67% range there is no reason to believe the A01 is any more efficient (in fact it is similar in construction to the Toyota filter that tested even lower). Jay has said that the A02 has different media specified by Honda than a Tough Guard. I seem to recall he actually stated the efficiency and it was in rough agreement with the Amsoil test, but cannot find it now.

A02

2Honeywella.jpg

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2861591

A01

A01f.jpg

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3403948/

I’d use either, they are completely different internally and the A01 is an end capless design that resembles other filters such as the Toyota Denso. You can source A01’s through places like HandA accessories, you normally get A02’s at US Honda dealers.

It is true that Fram Orange Cans are switching over to silicone ADBV. (I believe this happened Jan 1 2018)

Last edited:
Great information. After a bit of debate. I think I will run the FF out to the first OC. Then switch to my usual Amsoil regimen. Especially during the warranty period I will run tbe factory OCI. Then out of warranty ill probably start to stretch it out a little.

I do 15k OCI in my Yaris and 10k on the Spark. Analysis for the Yaris they said to try 18k...but it is easier to remember 15k and add up. I have not got a chance to have an analysis done on the Spark after they recommend going to 10k (from the factory 7500 OCI)

Originally Posted By: rojeda562
I'm 100% sure the Honda Genuine oil filters are the exact same as Fram Tough Guard, NOT the Orange Fram extra guard. Because the Tough Guard is the silver can, with synthetic blend media and silicone anti-drain back valve, good for 10,000 miles

No, not according Fram (right from the horses mouth)

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
The A02 tested by Amsoil in the 67% range there is no reason to believe the A01 is any more efficient (in fact it is similar in construction to the Toyota filter that tested even lower). Jay has said that the A02 has different media specified by Honda than a Tough Guard. I seem to recall he actually stated the efficiency and it was in rough agreement with the Amsoil test, but cannot find it now.

This?
From Jay at Fram:
Originally Posted By: Motorking
You just described multi pass efficiency. Honda OE filters made by FRAM are 65% @ 20 microns, they have 15 gram capacity and flow 10gpm

Originally Posted By: Ammofirst
I Love the names for these vehicles. When will Honda debut a new model called “The Pudgy”

No, they will call it a "Honda Fat".

While the Honda filter is made by FRAM, it is slightly different than the orange can as I have stated in this forum many times. More pleats, lower efficiency, higher capacity are the major differences.

Originally Posted By: Hounds

Dare I say you are wrong? Filtech supplies 20% of Honda OE, FRAM 80%. We win quality awards every year for 27 years from Honda and supply them with 13 million filters per year.

Quote:
Dare I say you are wrong? Filtech supplies 20% of Honda OE, FRAM 80%. We win quality awards every year for 27 years from Honda and supply them with 13 million filters per year.

Wrong about what, Jay? Certainly not concerning the media nor the construction. Fram may have sold a bunch of A02 filters over the years to Honda, but that doesn't make it the better filter. Less expensive to manufacture maybe. Your Xtended filter is first rate, but the A02 . . . uh, no thanks. Sorry, Jay.

I suppose the datapoint you need is are dont freak out when the factory interval based on MM puts you at 12,500 miles before it gets to 0 AND you're only supposed to change the filter every other OCI

If your goal is to maximize money then see if you can even get to the factory rec before you get the itch to do something.

If your goal is protection, you probably are going to be overmaintaining, so whatever you choose even the cheapest thing that meets spec is already overkill.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: raytseng
I suppose the datapoint you need is are dont freak out when the factory interval based on MM puts you at 12,500 miles before it gets to 0 AND you're only supposed to change the filter every other OCI

If your goal is to maximize money then see if you can even get to the factory rec before you get the itch to do something.

If your goal is protection, you probably are going to be overmaintaining, so whatever you choose even the cheapest thing that meets spec is already overkill.

Been doing a bunch of reading lately. Learned alot. I always blamed the OCOD for my first ever engine failure (but with no proof) on my first car, [censored] I was still on my learners. Long story short...perfectly fine running low mileage, stock SBC...switched to classic John Force marketing Castrol GTX and a OCOD. Not even a 100miles after it spun a rod bearing. Ive avoided that combo ever since. Fell into the 3000k oil change overkill regimen as well with that car and others. Generally ran Valvoline and Purolator combo on everything after. Now I read the Purolators are not particulary good (yikes).

Some time about 10 years ago noticed Royal Purple and longer OCI...did that on a Scion xB I owned at the time. Did the 15k OCIs with seemingly no problems. Switched to M1 as it was easier to get, & stuck with 15k OCI.

Bought my current Yaris new, 7 years ago and started using Amsoil. That carried on for her Spark. Meanwhile my 82 & 83 Malibus I ran AdvanceAuto brand oil plus with Lucas zinc additive and AC Delco filters.

Im not entirely sure where I was going with this post then other I started off really ignorant, and I am still green around here. I am catching on pretty quick. Starting to think Amsoil is a little overkill for my particular needs. I used to commute 110miles a day (for nearly 8 years), where the EOCI really was nice and saved money without really any comprimise.

These days most commutes for me at least are under 25miles a day. My business is exactly 10miles from my home. My wife is only 3~miles one way. I tell her to take the long way to add a little more time to get the motor hot on the colder days. I generally get to do a 0-62 (top of 2nd) pull in my Yaris once a day.

I also have a 97 tercel with 147k that I am trying Supertech synthetic with and their filter. I am changing the motor out to a 1nz soon and will probably give ol' Fram a try again. But in UltraGaurd form. She also has a 01 Forester that is on ST semi right now, might switch to full synthetic next OC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back