Least favorite firearm, and why.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only gun in my collection I don't look forward to shooting is a Ruger LCP 380. I got it for my wife for CC, as it was so small and easy to hide. The trouble is it kicks so dang hard, and is just tiny in your hands. Totally inaccurate...hard to hit a 12" paper target at 30 yards, maybe get 1 shot on paper per clip. Same distance, and I can get a good 6" group with my XDS 9.

Originally Posted By: DriveHard
The only gun in my collection I don't look forward to shooting is a Ruger LCP 380. I got it for my wife for CC, as it was so small and easy to hide. The trouble is it kicks so dang hard, and is just tiny in your hands. Totally inaccurate...hard to hit a 12" paper target at 30 yards, maybe get 1 shot on paper per clip. Same distance, and I can get a good 6" group with my XDS 9.

To be fair a 12" Target at 30yards is quite far away. The LCP wasn't really built for that level of accuracy. It's more of a "under 7 yards type of engagement pull and shoot without using the sights" kind of gun.

Originally Posted By: josie_wales
My 4 digit serial # Colt Python. It never felt comfortable in my hand...believe me this is my fault because I saw a S&W competitive shooter do wonders with it.. double action to boot. My favorite...Model 19-3 S&W

Ill take that ole thing of your hands!

I have the same weapon with a set of hogue grips and its my favorite handgun of all time - as well as everyone elses Ive ever let shoot it.

No coil spring gun Ive ever shot matches the buttery smooth feel of the pythons V spring DA.

UD

Last edited:

A carry pistol at 30 yards? My indoor range only goes to 25 yards...

When I practice with a carry pistol, I shoot at 5-10 yards. Most often 7 yards. I'm looking for "minute of bad guy" accuracy. I generally warm up with some accuracy shooting at 10 yards. Then shoot timed fire at 7 with the target facing for 3 seconds, the goal being 2 body, 1 headshot in those three seconds, or perhaps just 3 body in 3 seconds.

21 feet is the range at which a guy with a knife can close in 2 seconds. I'm not shooting someone at 30 yards, because the threat assessment (intent) will be difficult at best, and if they're shooting at me at that range, I'm looking for cover, or a rifle, anyway...

Here is an example, took my new (to me, 1971 vintage) .38 special to the range, yesterday, just to try it out. Put a box of 50 through it. At ten yards. A few flyers, all me, not the pistol. At ten yards, I can see my errors. At 30, they're off the paper, and I have no feedback. I wouldn't ever be shooting at someone 30 yards away with this gun, so why practice to unrealistic accuracy/range scenarios?

Last edited:
My 4 digit serial # Colt Python. It never felt comfortable in my hand...believe me this is my fault because I saw a S&W competitive shooter do wonders with it.. double action to boot. My favorite...Model 19-3 S&W

Dang. I'll take that, uh, piece of "junk" off your hands! Willing to sell?

LCP is really short barreled and not at all for 30yd use. I shoot at 5-10 yards.

IF you shot someone at 30yards with a pistol , you may have legal problems, unless you can prove they were aiming a rifle at you! My law enforcement friend tells me that most citizen engagements happen at 5 to 10 feet or less.

Least favorite is my Hi Point JHP .45. Very heavy, next to nothing for holsters and too big for CC. I like it, but my S&W SD9 VE is my new favorite, followed by my 10/22.

Originally Posted By: 28oz

Trade you 2 glocks for it...
grin.gif

My least favorite of all time was a Beretta 92 Police, followed closely by a Glock 40 (model 40 not a S&W) MOS.

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder

grin.gif

My least favorite of all time was a Beretta 92 Police, followed closely by a Glock 40 (model 40 not a S&W) MOS.

Why didn't you like the 40 MOS?

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

grin.gif

We just haven’t bonded, it is big, square, and not a Delta Elite or RZ10, I’ll also never put an optical sight on it so that is a bit of a waste...

grin.gif

We just haven’t bonded, it is big, square, and not a Delta Elite or RZ10, I’ll also never put an optical sight on it so that is a bit of a waste...

I was seriously considering a 40 MOS, but couldn't get over the grip. I don't own Glocks, so maybe it is just me. That is why I bought the FNS-L instead.

Mine is probably a tie between a preban Intratec 22 and a Helwan Brigadier. Bought both pistols new and they were both junk. The firing pin failed on the Intratec and the locking block failed on the Helwan.

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
Mine is probably a tie between a preban Intratec 22 and a Helwan Brigadier. Bought both pistols new and they were both junk. The firing pin failed on the Intratec and the locking block failed on the Helwan.

The commercial Helwan pistols had garbage heat treating on the locking blocks. I saw more than a handful fail. The military ones did much better. Shame cause they are just 1951 Berettas, an the Beretta I have, I adore.

I was seriously considering a 40 MOS, but couldn't get over the grip. I don't own Glocks, so maybe it is just me. That is why I bought the FNS-L instead.

Yeah, I’m not really a Glock guy. It is a bit like holding a block of wood. It is a 10mm so it has that going for it. It never gets picked for the range trip though so next time I cull the heard it will likely be on the list...

Back in the 90s I BRIEFLY owned an imported compact 1911, sort of a budget Officers ACP...that thing threw hot brass all over the place, including down my shirt. I envisioned dressing it up with 1911 parts, but when I discovered that the holes for the grip screws weren't even in the right place, I gave up on it and traded it off.

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
Back in the 90s I BRIEFLY owned an imported compact 1911, sort of a budget Officers ACP...that thing threw hot brass all over the place, including down my shirt. I envisioned dressing it up with 1911 parts, but when I discovered that the holes for the grip screws weren't even in the right place, I gave up on it and traded it off.

What brand was it? I purchased a Norinco made "mil-spec" Commander model 1911 in the mid 90's as my first 1911. Nothing to write home about accuracy wise, but that thing ate anything. Not a bit of trouble out of it. Still have it, but playing around with frankenstein-ing it with some RIA parts I acquired a year or so ago.

What brand was it? I purchased a Norinco made "mil-spec" Commander model 1911 in the mid 90's as my first 1911. Nothing to write home about accuracy wise, but that thing ate anything. Not a bit of trouble out of it. Still have it, but playing around with frankenstein-ing it with some RIA parts I acquired a year or so ago.

1911 guys used to love those Norincos as bases to build on. The slide and frame are made of some seriously strong and tough steel.

Was it a Spanish Llama?

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
My dad gave me a HI-POINT 9mm that he bought at a pawn shop. He goes to the big city to look for magazines and misc. gun parts at pawn shops. He paid $100 for it. It's ugly, has alot of FTF and FTE. I don't even shoot it anymore. It makes a great paper weight.

I just came from Harbor Freight. They've got a sale on step ladders. I thought I would mention it, just in case anyone is interested in measuring the bore axis on their Hi-Point.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
My dad gave me a HI-POINT 9mm that he bought at a pawn shop. He goes to the big city to look for magazines and misc. gun parts at pawn shops. He paid $100 for it. It's ugly, has alot of FTF and FTE. I don't even shoot it anymore. It makes a great paper weight.

I just came from Harbor Freight. They've got a sale on step ladders. I thought I would mention it, just in case anyone is interested in measuring the bore axis on their Hi-Point.

Very nicely done oblique reference!
15.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back