traction in 2wd pickup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ducked
A split handbrake would be a relatively simple mechanical traction aid and is DIY-able. Used on some classes of (British) trials cars. AKA "twiddle brakes".

Failing that, with one wheel spinning, lightly applying the handbrake will feed some torque through to the other wheel which might be enough to get you moving, though thats less efficient.

I've read somewhere this is why SAABs have the handbrake on the front (driven) wheels, despite the complexity it involves.

I have always wanted to rig up individual brake controls, and using the hydraulics instead of dinky cables. I want four hydraulic brake levers in addition to the foot brake and cable actuated parking brake.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger
Originally Posted By: Ducked
A split handbrake would be a relatively simple mechanical traction aid and is DIY-able. Used on some classes of (British) trials cars. AKA "twiddle brakes".

Failing that, with one wheel spinning, lightly applying the handbrake will feed some torque through to the other wheel which might be enough to get you moving, though thats less efficient.

I've read somewhere this is why SAABs have the handbrake on the front (driven) wheels, despite the complexity it involves.

I have always wanted to rig up individual brake controls, and using the hydraulics instead of dinky cables. I want four hydraulic brake levers in addition to the foot brake and cable actuated parking brake.

Believe some extreme offroadists do that. Seems innapropriatly overcomplex for a road car.

Snow tires and added weight has been used successfully in 2wd trucks forever. Trucks (2wd & 4wd) drive with loose stuff in the bed all year, not just in winter, maybe not the safest but SOP. 4wd helps you go but does nothing to help you stop. I drove 2wd trucks for 30+ years in Pa winters without incident with good tires and weight.

Get a plastic storage box or inbed stlyle truck box,put sand tubes or bags of your choice, some use old windshield washer bottles filled with sand or water, or even spare windshield washer fluid,place at rear of bed, fasten with ratchet strap. Easy to remove to use bed, you have dry sand to use if you get stuck. Storage box is useful year round for dry bed storage. Add a set of good snow tires. As others have posted it’s how we get around in the great white north without 4 wheel drive.

Before you back up, partially set the parking brake to stop wheel spin. This technique can also be used in D to pull out a stuck vehicle with a 2wd truck.

I haven't seen them on a 2wd in ages. Chains. Get a set of old rims and tires. Rig the chains in comfort, instead of kneeling in slush. Put them on in your garage. Use carefully. I never needed to use them on a bug. The 528e was easy to ballast. 4 cement blocks fit snugly between the wheel wells tight up against the bulkhead. Now, when our esteemed Gov,sez "stay off the roads" I obey
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back