The chevy1500 diesel IS for real guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Iowegian
I'm hoping they will put that into the Suburban soon. I have a growing family....

They should bring back the 3/4 ton Burb and put the diesel in it.

SF

Now....that would cost 70plus thousand!

Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Iowegian
I'm hoping they will put that into the Suburban soon. I have a growing family....

They should bring back the 3/4 ton Burb and put the diesel in it.

SF

Now....that would cost 70plus thousand!

Lol - they already top mid 70k on upper trim levels.

Anybody who would ever spend $70k on an American vehicle is definitely living in one of them marijuana legal states!

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Anybody who would ever spend $70k on an American vehicle is definitely living in one of them marijuana legal states!

Why? A nicely optioned out Silverado or Suburban is a very nice place to spend time, and they're far more reliable and cheaper to own long-term compared to your other 70k options (BMW, VW, MB, etc)

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Hopefully gm does not try to build the engine. They need to stick with gassers.

LOL! I had an old timer tell me that many years ago they tried building a diesel off of an existing gas engine they had. Didn't turn out too well apparently.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

Why? A nicely optioned out Silverado or Suburban is a very nice place to spend time, and they're far more reliable and cheaper to own long-term compared to your other 70k options (BMW, VW, MB, etc)

That's probably where they're getting the idea. People pay that kind of money for a BMW why not pay it for a pickup.

Originally Posted By: dogememe

+1

Does sound interesting. However, I will let others be the guinea pig on these as I'm sure there will be plenty of bugs to work out.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
LOL! I had an old timer tell me that many years ago they tried building a diesel off of an existing gas engine they had. Didn't turn out too well apparently.

1978 - 1984 Olds 350 diesel (also available in 78-79 1/2ton Chevy GMC)

They were a good engine if not abused.
The bad rep comes from people who know nothing about operating a diesel.
You can NOT drive a diesel like a gasoline/petrol car!

They also had a bad batch (bad metallurgy/heat treating) from the vendor on head bolts.
This caused a LOT of head gaskets to go POOF
Good gaskets + good bolts + a decent engine.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman

1978 - 1984 Olds 350 diesel (also available in 78-79 1/2ton Chevy GMC)

They were a good engine if not abused.
The bad rep comes from people who know nothing about operating a diesel.
You can NOT drive a diesel like a gasoline/petrol car!

They also had a bad batch (bad metallurgy/heat treating) from the vendor on head bolts.
This caused a LOT of head gaskets to go POOF
Good gaskets + good bolts + a decent engine.

True - I know many of them old 5.7L Olds Diesels that ran well and long. Others were total problem cases and was a lot of the owner's fault for not understanding the differences between gas and diesel maintenance and use.

Funny story - my Dad had a beautiful 1983 Cadillac Eldorado with the HT4100. Only kept it 6 months and sold it...back then GM employee discounts were awesome and dad bought a car every 6 months as sold for more than he paid. Anyhow - he replaced it with a 1984 Seville Diesel. I was like DAD! why? He said that both engine options were gonna blow head gaskets so he may as well get the one with the best fuel economy. He loved it and actually kept that car until 1993 and it never let him down. The new owner of it had it a year and blew it up....they knew nothing about the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back