New Henry rifles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know that much about Henry rifles other than a friend has the 22Lr with the brass on it. The rifling does any know what kind of rifling they use? I could get highly interested in that 45-70 with a 22 to 24 inch barrel.

The problem with Henry is they do not have a loading gate.
That appears to be a "finish" and not real case hardening.

I have a Uberti 1873 in .38/.357.
It case hardening is much more accurate. the wood finish is better and it has a gate.
Way more gun and money.

Henry rifles are top notch. Garrett ammo made for bears which is 45-70 540 grain +P Bullets claim only to shoot in Marlins and Henry rifles.
I have a Henry Goldenboy .22 I bought when they first came out. Super smooth rifle. The brass became tarnished in one spot. I think it's a factory blemish since I bought it new in the box. I was moving from PA to Florida and never pursued Henry over it.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
The problem with Henry is they do not have a loading gate.

Absence of a loading gate is a win for me.

That appears to be a "finish" and not real case hardening.

Could you explain "appears"?

For large cartridges I prefer a loading gate, but the tubular brass insert setup is idea for .22. The H001T octagonal barrel .22 is an ideal gun because it's actually useful and cost effective. No, you're not taking on bears with it, and hunting with a .22 can be illegal. But it's a great shooting rifle.

Only complaint is that on the .22, you either get the brass ones with an odd stock drop, or else you get those coated aluminum side plates.

And a perfect place for gratuitous posting of this Turnbull Ruger
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
And a perfect place for gratuitous posting of this Turnbull Ruger
smile.gif

Nice.

I want to try a henry, maybe in .22lr or .17.

I have always wondered how a tubular magazine is not a problem with center-fire rounds. Are the primers not sitting on the round under them? what if the rifle is dropped hard on its butt?

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I have always wondered how a tubular magazine is not a problem with center-fire rounds. Are the primers not sitting on the round under them? what if the rifle is dropped hard on its butt?

The types of cartridges are typically round or flat nosed, so can't put enough localised force into the primer.

A tubular magazine in .308 would be a different kettle of fish.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

I recommend you find someone who will let you shoot one before buying. You may love it. Many do. But there are a couple things that you may not care for, and it would be good to know before buying.

First is the action is very rough. You may not notice this until you handle a nice lever action along side it. I was about to buy a Golden Boy .22. When I asked to handle one at a gun store, the salesman also sat a Browning BL-22 on the counter. He told me to work the action of the Golden Boy a few times, then do the same to the BL-22. I thought the Golden Boy was great until I picked up the BL-22. The difference was night and day. The Browning action was extremely smooth and light. It also has a much shorter throw. In comparison, the Henry now felt heavy and rough. It is also a longer throw. I ended up buying the BL-22.

The other item was pointed out to me by an old timer salesman at another gun store. He owns and has owned dozens of different .22 rifles. He has bought them for his sons and daughters, and now buys them for his grandchildren. I mentioned to him that I had gotten past the rough action on the Henry Golden Boy and wanted to add one to my collection. He asked if I had shot one yet, and I told him no. He strongly advised that I do. He said he bought one and ended up selling it because he did not care for the big drop on the rear stock. He found it very uncomfortable to draw up on, to the point that he felt he could not shoot it as accurately as he could most other .22 rifles he has shot.

I have talked to others who have absolutely no problem with this feature. And they don't care about the rough, heavy action because to them it is more important that the Henry is Made in the USA. you may agree with them. But I'd check one out first so you will know.

I had one when they were first reintroduced. Had to return it as it would not properly eject spent casings.

Put the refunded money towards a Winchester 94-22. A decision i have yet to regret.

I like the fact that all their stuff is made right in their facility, made in America.

My neighbor sent his older rifle back for some repair work. It's a hunting rifle in 30-30 and lives a hard life. They turned it around in 2 weeks and there was no charge. He received a follow-up phone call to make sure he was happy with the work.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I like the fact that all their stuff is made right in their facility, made in America.

My neighbor sent his older rifle back for some repair work. It's a hunting rifle in 30-30 and lives a hard life. They turned it around in 2 weeks and there was no charge. He received a follow-up phone call to make sure he was happy with the work.

In NJ no less. Precisely why an H001T is on my short list.

To my eye.
You decide.

Turnbull Case hardened frame.
https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/gun/...l-maufacturing/

Republic Forge case hardened finish.
http://republicforge.com/

Original 1873 w/case hardened receiver.
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/beautiful-winchester-1873-deluxe-32-20-rifle-w6155/

Color case hardening on a 1911 does nothing for me.

On the ruger, a colt, or my personal turnbull cch S&W 22-4 it seems much more fitting. Ditto on a nice o/u or sxs shotgun or a LA rifle.

Just personal preference though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back