Done with Discount Tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, and here I thought DT was the darling of the forum. Ive never bought tires from them myself. The deals never worked out as the best.

As long as the original sealant on them I think they don't age that much, just sitting.
I bought a new 6 year old set of Xice from the local GM dealer, they were set aside for someone but were never picked up. They worked fine for the first winter and I actually hoped they hardened up a bit as I ran them all summer, but they wore pretty fast anyways. They got through the second winter and summer OK but were down too far for winter 3, as they had about 30-35k miles on them.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
My mistake, but doesn’t change the fact that they agreed to get fresh tires.
If they were made 0117 I would be ok with it.
I do note expect few days old tire.

First thing:

Doesn't Discount Tire say that if you are not happy with a tire, you can return them in 30 days?
If yes, bring your wife's car back, and say that you are not happy with the tires, and you want them to get you another set, with fresher date codes.
That should be quite simple.

Second:

If you are planning on stripping them off of the car in 3 years time, with only 15k miles worth of use, what tire size are they?
225/65-17?
If yes, send me an email, and I will buy them from you for $25 each at that point.

BC.

From Discout Tire's website:

Our Return Policy

If ever you’re not satisfied with your purchase, bring it back and we will make it right. That is our promise. At Discount Tire, we stand behind our products and services and want you to be completely satisfied with every item you purchase.

Returns and Exchanges

You can return item(s) at any of our Discount Tire stores. Simply bring the item(s) you'd like to return, along with your receipt and original form of payment. Returns will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Just reach out to one of our trusted experts at your local Discount Tire store, and we will work with you to make it right. Find a local Discount Tire store.

If you choose to exchange a product for another, your account will be charged for the new item and credited for the return.
Refunds

Eligible items may be returned and refunded to the original form of tender. If you paid by credit card, we'll credit your account within 14 business days. This will show on your next statement, depending on the issuing bank and/or billing cycle.

So will they make it right or not?

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
My mistake, but doesn’t change the fact that they agreed to get fresh tires.
If they were made 0117 I would be ok with it.
I do note expect few days old tire.

First thing:

Doesn't Discount Tire say that if you are not happy with a tire, you can return them in 30 days?
If yes, bring your wife's car back, and say that you are not happy with the tires, and you want them to get you another set, with fresher date codes.
That should be quite simple.

Second:

If you are planning on stripping them off of the car in 3 years time, with only 15k miles worth of use, what tire size are they?
225/65-17?
If yes, send me an email, and I will buy them from you for $25 each at that point.

BC.

It is not that simple as I posted later on the first page.
Size is 215/65 R16 102R

Quote:

Our Return Policy

If ever you’re not satisfied with your purchase, bring it back and we will make it right. That is our promise. At Discount Tire, we stand behind our products and services and want you to be completely satisfied with every item you purchase.

Returns and Exchanges

You can return item(s) at any of our Discount Tire stores. Simply bring the item(s) you'd like to return, along with your receipt and original form of payment. Returns will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Just reach out to one of our trusted experts at your local Discount Tire store, and we will work with you to make it right. Find a local Discount Tire store......

Since subject broached, I did exactly that after 30 days with a set of 215/50-17 Conti DWS with unacceptable to me vibration from flat spotting. While I told the manager why I was returning them, no explanation was required on my part. Replaced with set of Michelin Primacy MXV4, and very satisfied with that choice. That was before the current generation RT43s I have now were an option.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:

Our Return Policy

Returns and Exchanges

You can return item(s) at any of our Discount Tire stores. Simply bring the item(s) you'd like to return, along with your receipt and original form of payment. Returns will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Just reach out to one of our trusted experts at your local Discount Tire store, and we will work with you to make it right. Find a local Discount Tire store......

Since subject broached, I did exactly that after 30 days with a set of 215/50-17 Conti DWS with unacceptable to me vibration from flat spotting. While I told the manager why I was returning them, no explanation was required on my part. Replaced with set of Michelin Primacy MXV4, and very satisfied with that choice. That was before the current generation RT43s I have now were an option.

Yep, went back and that is not happening.
Blaming manufacturer, Nokian.
Either way, I am too busy to deal with them now. Will keep them until 2020, and then sell them.
They (DT and Nokian) will not see a cent from me anymore.

Overall I like DT, but they do have some annoying quirks. They have gotten to be way too restrictive about tire sizes and speed ratings. It's almost to the point now where the only tires they'll install on your vehicle are those that are the exact size and speed rating that originally came on the vehicle. The other thing I don't like about them is if I'm getting 2 new tires, they insist on putting them on the rear of the vehicle, even though I have a front wheel drive vehicle. I know they put them on the rear because in theory, if your rear tires have less tread than your fronts, the rear of the vehicle could lose traction and slide out in turns. I don't care about that. I can slow down in the turns to prevent that. I want the tires with the most tread on the front so I can get traction with the drive wheels in the snow. I couldn't care less about cornering...

You are a poster child for having your license revoked until you pass a college-level course in the physics of vehicular motion.

Just ordered a set on line from Discount Tire Direct. $15 cheaper than Tire Rack, plus a $40 rebate, free shipping and no sales tax.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Just ordered a set on line from Discount Tire Direct. $15 cheaper than Tire Rack, plus a $40 rebate, free shipping and no sales tax.

You will get sales tax bill next year in mail.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ

You will get sales tax bill next year in mail.
It will be interesting to see how they intend on collecting the sales tax?

^^^They won't.

I have bought thousands of dollars worth of tires from them and never received any "tax bill". Not going to happen.

If my local dealer had not adopted a "beat any price" policy I would still be using them. Great service, great pricing...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^They won't.

I have bought thousands of dollars worth of tires from them and never received any "tax bill". Not going to happen.

If my local dealer had not adopted a "beat any price" policy I would still be using them. Great service, great pricing...

It will. States are passing laws where companies now have to collect sales tax. If they did not they will have to send a bill. Amazon is in particular problems since third parties are selling thru them. What do you think, states are going to say: sure go buy stuff without sales tax and we will just go out and pick up money for state to function on local tree where it grows?
Colorado's Amazon tax
Now, if some states did not pass this law, they will soon. With retail moving rapidly to online vendors, do you really expect for states to say: sure go ahead?

They have a 30 day bring back for free and exchange for a different set warranty. Remember that next time. I just don't know which tire place would be better than DT. Any ideas,anyone?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FZ1
They have a 30 day bring back for free and exchange for a different set warranty. Remember that next time. I just don't know which tire place would be better than DT. Any ideas,anyone?
I also use Tire Rack. Free shipping is why I went to DT this time. And paid with PayPal Credit, 6 months same as cash.

I brought back tires like third day. Going back to Costco.

Good for you. How do you compare Costco installers To DT installers?

I never had issues with Costco. They seem much more knowledgable, professional and same guys work all the time there. In DT they always change workers. I had instances of encountering kids in DT that tried to sell me all season for winter tires and genuinely being baffled when GM would take over and tel them that is not winter tire. But, it was OK, more choices in DT. However, cannot get over this 2 1/2 year old tires. That is just unacceptable. On top of that, never got back $100 rebate. So basically, I shelled out $700 for 215/65 R16 that are 2 1/2 years old. OK, whatever. Thing is I sent 10 people to them at least from my work. Will make sure they never see them again.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back