Latest Lawnmower change

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea what the viscosity was, I could ring the oil company (Aegis) to find out what Aegis Gold was, but the owner had just joined **** Johnson at that stage after leaving British Touring Cars, and his father was still running the company. I put it in a motorcycle that is supposed to take 20/30, and am not likely to have put something thin in....back then 5W50 was common for synths here. It was ridden around the block a couple of times, and then put away until a couple of years ago, so hardly used which is why it went in the mower.

I've just done a crude viscosity check at shed temp (20c), and the 5W30 went through in 38secs, the other 63secs, so at that temp it's pretty thick. This has got me wondering about my aircooled motorcycles...thick or thin, more heat into the oil, or less?

That was interesting - so, thinner oil transfering heat from the piston to crankcase walls, where I get my temp reading from? Highest temp was higher on the case where there would be more splash, rather than the sump level which was cooler.

Not quite, the thicker oil creates more heat which ALSO has to go through the walls.

The fins on the outside are at T zero, and there's a gradient back through the system into the piston temps. The viscous heating between piston and wall is another heat source that has to escape through the fins...sort of like a damming effect if that makes sense.

In the mower all the extra friction has to get everything (oil and componentry included) up to a higher temperature to push that heat out.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would not used oil in anything.

It depends on the equipment.

Depending on what it is, I have saved $10 a week easily on engines that consumed a lot.

I use the absolutely nastiest stuff for bar & chain lube, or for the oil fired forge. (gone forever in both cases)

GOOD "used" oil is just fine 99% of the time, as long as you filter the grittiness out!

Originally Posted By: Shannow

As some of you picked up, I'm having a joke...the brew IS in the mower, and no I wasn't expecting it to blow up.

I'd run that "brew" in nearly anything
grin.gif

Usually whatever is left around the garage. Anything from 0w20 to 10w40. There has been a time when i drained the oil from the mower and realized i had no new oil on the shelf so I have even used 10,000 mile used synthetic oil from my car. Ran it all summer. It dont matter.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
I would totally mix different brands/weights for my tractor, but using used oil? why? How does used oil protect better than new?

The carbon particles act as lubricant.

A jug of Rotella for me goes a long ways for the Honda HRX mower and the generator. They don't take much.
I don't get the "Used oil protects better than new" part. I'd rather go for fresh out of the jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back