What are your thoughts on tattoos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has 3 and I like them and where they are placed. I have none as nothing really grabs me enough to want it permanently.

I don't like evil or gross tats or placement on many parts of the body.

I dislike tattoos, body piercing and jewelry of any kind. I will never have any. As for what looks good on a woman? If she wants a diamond stud in her earlobe I'm okay with that, nix on anything else except of course her engagement/wedding rings.

Yep, no face or neck ones.
None between the elbow and fingers.
No more than 2 or 3, and not too massive.
Excessive amounts just show you've gone crazy with it. People think you're a little nuts if you overdo it.

They're cool, but I don't have any. I know a world-class tattoo artist, he is a childhood friend and has given me basically a standing offer many times to ink me for free, but I have never taken him up on it. It's a personal choice. Too many people take it too lightly, but if you think long and reasonably enough, it can be pretty amazing body art.

I'm just not personally into personal decoration that much, I don't wear jewelry of any kind and like it that way. Until my job demanded it, I didn't even wear a watch. Having said that, since I *did* need to wear a watch, I did seek out good ones, but that's just another side of my personality; the nerd / craftsman side and my propensity to seek out the highest quality, most durable goods. I like mechanical movements, would buy a Rolex or similar if I could afford it (secretly lust after a Rolex Milgauss). Best one I own is TAG-Hauer, but even that one is low-key in appearance.

I would like to get a tat of something cool but I think of it as a permanent poster on a wall you can't get off or a bumper sticker on a car. Tattoos of current pop culture look cool and well done but I wouldn't get one done.

I'm 38 and was raised in Tennessee. Parents (baby boomers born in 1941 & 1942) were from Mississippi and Alabama and didn't have them and neither did the grandparents. Their opinion, which they taught me, was that tattoos were considered low-class and trashy, unless you were military, especially Navy or Marine Corps, then it was a lot more accepted - even expected.

So, I'm not a fan - especially on women. I actually couldn't care less if a guy wants to have tattoos. That's my personal opinion. If I were a manager in certain fields, I might have to insist that people I was in charge of did not have tattoos visible, because, even in 2018, there are still certain "attitudes" about tattoos, and the appearance of professionalism is needed in certain lines of work.

I'm no fan of piercings, either. My parents, and many of their generation also believed that pierced ears were trashy and low-class...especially piercing a baby's ears. If they want to get their ears pierced, I think that's a decision they should make when they become a teenager. Don't modify someone's body without their consent.

Not a fan, no. It's just fashion, and fashion trends change. I'm sure all those now 30-something girls regret their tramp stamps and the bros their tribal tattoos. Just like those with their earlobe studs or whatever they are now. I'm sure white-collar hiring managers love those.

If it means something to you, then great. But does it really?

Scars are WAY more interesting than tattoos. Those are earned, not bought.

/getoffmylawn

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
especially piercing a baby's ears. If they want to get their ears pierced, I think that's a decision they should make when they become a teenager. Don't modify someone's body without their consent.

Totally agree.

I think tattoos are low class and disgusting. The same goes for those ugly nose piercings (looks like a nasty wart) and blue hair. The ultimate turn off is meeting a chick,she starts getting undressed,and suddenly there's this nasty tattoo. Gives me the sudden need to want to take a shower. A woman's body is a work of art!! Why tarnish it? I'm sure it all starts because these girls have daddy issues are are "rebelling" but most of them don't know what they're rebelling against,or they saw it on MTV or something.

What's even worse is seeing all that on a woman my age (48).

My only tattoos are 2 freckles the radiologist use to line up the nuker on my right chest. If I got a tattoo, it would be some where my right nipple used to be. Maybe my favorite emoticon
grin2.gif

Don't like them, although I don't hate them. I mean, I'm not about to walk up to the typical tattoo'd person and tell them they are wrong...

To each their own. Me, I thought about it and then thought about what they'd look like when I was old and gray. Seemed like a poor choice as I aged. Toss in the cost and just not for me. Now if I had gone into the Navy...

Of course, what I can't see I can't care about. Ink your back up and I'm unlikely to ever know. Nor care if I did know. Personal choice and all. Tats on the face or hands, well, to each their own but I just don't care for that.

Piercings can go either way. Not a big fan but I've seen a good number that looked just fine, even on the eyebrow. At some point one does hit too many.

What I don't get is the ones where they enlargen the ear lobe, so that they can pass something huge through them. Most other piercings can heal up or otherwise be too small to see. Those oversized ones look like they'd required surgery to fix.

I think I heard that the Navy ruled no more visible tatoos a few years ago?

Not my thing, could have to do with my age. I don't have any and likely never will. Tats are interesting to me, just not enough to get one. Piercings, I will absolutely admit that the nose thing bothers me the most. Other than that, it's the other persons choice and they can do as they please without any comment from me. But the nose thing just makes me cringe. On a side note I saw my first nipple piercing about 5 years ago. It might have been the piercing or the woman that was pierced, either way it was spectacular!

I have no interest in having any, and on women they always detract, IMO. But people are certainly free to do as they wish.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
she starts getting undressed,and suddenly there's this nasty tattoo. Gives me the sudden need to want to take a shower.
Before or after?
grin.gif

Tattoos tend to be associated with low-lifes like Colin Kaepernick or the people causing trouble on an episode of "Cops".

Originally Posted By: 02SE
I have no interest in having any, and on women they always detract, IMO. But people are certainly free to do as they wish.

My thoughts exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back