2004-2006 Ford F-150 vs Dodge Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest issues with the dodge of that era will be the rear differential. Dodge screwed the pooch on these. Its not as bad as the dodge transimissions of the 90's, and they are fixed relatively cheap(compared to engines or transmisions). I wouldnt make it a deal breaker, but something to be keeping an eye on. Other than the terrible box side rust issue (not an issue out of the rust belt) they are solid trucks. I would recommend them.

I dont know much about the Fords of that era, other than I thought the plug blowing out issue was supposed to be fixed by then. Ford added more threads to the heads. And the engines were slugs.

To be honest, if I were looking at a 11-13 year old pickup truck, I'd be more concerned about basic overall condition and treatment than worrying too much about brands.

That being said, on the '04-'06 F150's with the 5.4 3V, the two questions to ask are: have the spark plugs been changed? (and when) and have the cam phasers and tensioners been done?

If those have been done, you should have a pretty long lasting truck at that point. The 5.4 was never the fastest, and was thirsty, but it pulled decent enough and fuel mileage didn't drop off much when towing.

If you start one up and hear some rattling, or hear rattling between 1000 and 1500 rpm, I'd move on - odds are it needs the tensioner and phaser work.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I’d rather have an older Chevy pickup than a newer Dodge for the same money.

That seems like a strange sentiment. We have a number of Dodge trucks at work and they have all been pretty good. We also have a couple of Ford's, the F-150 Platinum was traded in on a 2016 RAM Laramie Long Horn.

They are all 4x4 save one, and they all have the 5.7L in them, save the one that's 2WD, it's a stripper V6 longbox regular cab.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

That seems like a strange sentiment. We have a number of Dodge trucks at work and they have all been pretty good. We also have a couple of Ford's, the F-150 Platinum was traded in on a 2016 RAM Laramie Long Horn.

They are all 4x4 save one, and they all have the 5.7L in them, save the one that's 2WD, it's a stripper V6 longbox regular cab.
It just sounds difficult to find one that’s just right, with years of bad transmissions, rear ends, the 3.7L and 4.7L options being out and the Hemi being the only option.

The Chevys are pretty trouble free. Sure there’s some quirks but they aren’t known for engines grenading etc.

It just sounds difficult to find one that’s just right, with years of bad transmissions, rear ends, the 3.7L and 4.7L options being out and the Hemi being the only option.

The Chevys are pretty trouble free. Sure there’s some quirks but they aren’t known for engines grenading etc.

The transmission stuff was all 90's AFAIK. Any years with the HEMI they seem to be fine. The rear-end issue is interesting, we've had no issues with any of ours, but I think the oldest might be a 2011?

Basically, just shopping for one with the HEMI is the main criteria, they probably make up a significant portion, if not the bulk of the ones sold, so it really shouldn't be that difficult
21.gif

The GMs have electrical and transmission issues. The 4L60E is not the strongest transmission. Some go for a while without issues, others have problems and need rebuilding.

With that said if I had to pick a full-size truck from that year range it would be a 5.3 Silverado and service the transmission religiously. The Fords had cam phaser and spark plug issues, the Dodges had valve seat problems, and any Toyota that is not rusted out will be twice the price.

You should be able to get more truck for your money with the Dodge because their resale value is lower than any of the other makes. As others have said, stick with the HEMI. The main problems that you will have are with the emission control and HVAC systems (newer Dodges also have problems with the exhaust manifolds). When shopping for one make sure that both systems are in good working order. Before purchase, put a scan tool on it and make sure that the computer hasn't been reset and it isn't storing any codes.

Last edited:
I'm a ford guy and I can't recommend the trucks with the 5.4 3v engine.
Although I don't have experience with them, I've heard some things from people that those 5.7's weren't exactly the best either.
I do feel aside from the 5.4's cam phaser issues the ford is better built/manufactured than the dodge is.

GM wins for engines. Trans are pretty good too and cheapest to rebuild if needed. The common problems on that 04-06 GM truck are pretty cheap and easy to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back