oil to use to clean foam filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 17 years I have cleaned 3 honda air filters with my parts cleaner then Dawn dishwashing detergent, dry and then oil them with castrol foam filter oil. I put them in a ziplock bag and squish/squeeze them around in the bag till all of the oil is evenly distributed

only way to clean an air filter, if the air filter has been used with a quality oil like blu snot bel ray, is :

1. Kerosene. NOT GAS.
2. Water with dish soap.
3. Water
4. Carefully squeeze, not wring out.
5. Let air dry, or use compressed air if impatient.
6. Re oil filter by using ziplock bag and pouring into bag with filter in. Filter should be lightly coated everywhere in and out by squeezing around for what seems an eternity.

Hate doing filters for motorcycles, hate it.

The correct manufacturer specified way to clean a foam air filter element is with warm water and dish soap. Using any kind of solvent (or gasoline) will destroy the foam. This is what they taught us in B&S service school many years ago (when MOST of their engines used foam elements) and was the ONLY factory accepted way of cleaning it.
After washing with dish soap and water, squeeze it dry (no need to let the water air dry out of it), saturate with clean motor oil (just pour a little on it, an ounce or two), work the oil in, then squeeze it hard to get the excess motor oil and water out. Whatever water is left over will dry out fairly quickly. If it is not oiled, dirt will go right through it! On two stage air filter elements (foam over paper) don't use very much oil on the foam.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back