Charging battery in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: Pelican
Do any of you folks know where I can buy a CTEK in the GTA I live just east of Toronto.
Canadian Tire no longer sells them and I'm drawing blanks from their website. I'd rather not buy from amazon.
Thanks

Big savings from Amazon. But if you want to pay more, here you go: https://www.tooltopia.com/search.aspx?find=ctek+chargers

Thanks for the reply, I should have been more specific in that I don't want to buy online, I prefer to shop at a brick& Mortar place, Do you know of such a place ?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jsb025
I've done some digging on this topic and I haven't come up with much in the way of useful information. So I ask, must a battery be removed/disconnected from a modern car before charging/maintaining?

If it matters I use an SC-600A.

No problem if whatever charger you use doesn't raise the voltage over 15V.

I've done some digging on this topic and I haven't come up with much in the way of useful information. So I ask, must a battery be removed/disconnected from a modern car before charging/maintaining?

Nope. Even on high-end European cars(Ferraris come stock with a CTEK trickle charger per Google) with all sorts of control modules and fragile electrical systems you can leave a charger safely connected. Don't turn on the car.

Old topic, but in general Schumacher doesn't recommend that their "chargers" be used for long term maintenance mode. They have a variety of maintainers, including some that used to be marketed for charging power equipment batteries and classic car batteries. I think the PS-1562A (1.5A) was supposed to be used on a battery that was near fully charged and would cut off if it didn't reach maintenance mode in maybe 12 hours. I had one and lent it to a coworker who borrowed my jump starter and kept on finding that the battery wasn't charged enough to start again. Really - when you're at that point it's best to have a real external battery charger fully charge the battery.

The manual says it's OK, but I would think that a a lower current (Schumacher has 0.75A/1.5A/2A) maintainer would be better for that purpose. There's a 0.75A one I've seen at Walmart for less than $10. It's basically a wall wart with cables and a clamp. I also had a couple of different 1.5A maintainers. The old one is heavy with a coil transformer and isn't microprocessor controlled. The newer one is really light (can't seem to find it though) and had a noticeable electronic buzz typical of a switch-mode power supply.

This is what the manual says:

Quote:
http://www.batterychargers.com/content/pdf/0099001462-R0.pdf

MAINTAINING A BATTERY

The SC-600A-CA and SC-1000A-CA maintain both 6 and 12 volt batteries, keeping them at full charge. They can charge and maintain both small and large batteries.

NOTE: The maintain mode technology allows you to safely charge and maintain a healthy battery for extended periods of time. However, problems with the battery, electrical problems in the vehicle, improper connections or other unanticipated conditions could cause excessive current draws. As such, occasionally monitoring your battery and the charging process is recommended.

I've got an SC-1200A-CA myself, and I'll typically use it on 3A mode if I'm not in a hurry. That one has a display that shows battery voltage when it's connected without charging, and then when it charges it alternately flashes "12" and a percentage charge state for the battery. It also says that the 3A maintain mode is OK. However, I try not to keep it on maintain mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back