Freedom Munitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bunnspecial
Do you load the "stepped" cases? If so, how do you adjust for the reduced volume to keep pressures safe?
I toss them, they separate at the step. They are junk.

I've shoot about 5k rounds of their 9mm 124gr & 147gr reman. Very happy with it. Not the cleanest, but not dirty. No misfires. A bit underpowered, so soft shooting. Consistent. I bought on sales, so good prices and free shipping as I recall.

Never seen stepped cases like those, but then I don't reload 9mm, so I don't usually pick up my brass.

I've never used Freedom Munitions, but my friend purchased a case of reloaded 5.56 ammo from a commercial reloading company and experienced some issues. I made the mistake of letting him shoot some of it out of my AR180 and this was the result:

Fortunately, when the top of one of these cases got stuck in the chamber, the next round didn't go into battery or it could have been a very expensive failure and someone could have been injured.

That was the last time any re-manufactured/reloaded ammo - other than my own reloads - will be used in any of my firearms!

Originally Posted By: jjjxlr8
I've never used Freedom Munitions, but my friend purchased a case of reloaded 5.56 ammo from a commercial reloading company and experienced some issues. I made the mistake of letting him shoot some of it out of my AR180 and this was the result:

Fortunately, when the top of one of these cases got stuck in the chamber, the next round didn't go into battery or it could have been a very expensive failure and someone could have been injured.

That was the last time any re-manufactured/reloaded ammo - other than my own reloads - will be used in any of my firearms!

WOW! That's not good! That's a very good reason to not buy re-manufactured ammunition.
The few boxes I bought from FM were new made ammunition. I just couldn't see not spending 2-3 cents more per round for new over re-manufactured.
These are some of the 180 gr. .40S&W NEW that I bought from FM.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
WOW! That's not good! That's a very good reason to not buy re-manufactured ammunition.

I concur. I would not go near commercially remanufactured bottlenecked rifle ammunition. The fact is bottlenecked centerfire rifle cartridges operate well beyond the pressures of any auto pistol cartridge. (52,000 to 63,000 P.S.I.). If they are fired in a rifle that is not properly headspaced, the cases will stretch excessively. You as the purchaser of remanufactured ammo have no way of knowing the condition of the brass that is used in it's construction. Even if they claim it is only, "once fired and inspected", you or they have no real way of knowing how many times it has gone through a weapon. Even the filthiest, stretched out brass that's been fired 4 or more times will clean up beautifully with the proper equipment that all of these commercial reloaders have.

This makes head separation far more likely in remanufactured ammunition. A split or separated cartridge case running at 55,000+ P.S.I. can be very dangerous to both the firearm, and the shooter. So why chance it? It's not worth the few lousy bucks you're going to save by gambling with it's use. Even remanufactured pistol ammunition can contain brass that's been fired in an unsupported chamber, and has been reworked and work hardened excessively as a result. A blown out case is far more likely. And again after you weigh the risk vs. reward, it's just not there. Especially now with virgin reloadable brass case 9 MM selling for as little as $8.00 @ box now. Along with .45 ACP going for under $16.00 @ box.

I've been a reloader for over 40 years, and I can't justify reloading either 9 MM or .45 ACP with the current prices factory new ammunition for both is currently selling for. I save the brass, and have 5 gallon buckets full of the stuff. And if one day the cost escalates enough to the point it will be worth my time to reload it, I then might. But not now. And if and when I do, I will be in charge of the remanufacturing process, not some outfit I don't know anything about, and trust even less. Again, the risk vs. reward of any savings simply isn't worth it.

Originally Posted By: billt460

I've been a reloader for over 40 years, and I can't justify reloading either 9 MM or .45 ACP with the current prices factory new ammunition for both is currently selling for. I save the brass, and have 5 gallon buckets full of the stuff. And if one day the cost escalates enough to the point it will be worth my time to reload it, I then might. But not now. And if and when I do, I will be in charge of the remanufacturing process, not some outfit I don't know anything about, and trust even less. Again, the risk vs. reward of any savings simply isn't worth it.

Well said and I completely agree. I will only shoot with MY reloads, nobody elses even if I was given the ammunition for free. Right now I reload for 44 magnum, 30-30 win, and sometimes the .357 sig and .308 win. .308 win is not really worth reloading as the price has come down so much lately. The other calibers I don't shoot frequently so I only spend a few hours every few months or so at the reloading bench.

Freedom munitions does offer a 6% discount off everything on their website with the discount code "mac" but I still haven't tried them yet. I mianly use ammoman.com. Everything on the entire order over $99 is free shipping and you get a 2% reward on every order also. On top of that, almost every order is shipped same day or next day. I also use Targetsportsusa.com and Aimsurplus.com, they sell much more than ammo and are excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back