Buying to correct size lug nuts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I just bought a new set of 4 custom wheels for my 2000 ford f150. The lug nuts did not come with the wheels as per how it was in the description of the wheels. Is there any way I can figure out which lugs will be the correct size,and buy them before I go to my local tire shop? I know my tire shop can figure it out and then order the lugs while I'm waiting to have my new wheels and tires installed. I just would like to save myself some time,and have this part done before hand.

Please advise. I would be very grateful.

Last edited:
Not sure how to figure out the thread measuremensts. If I give my vin# to my local ford dealer will they be able to tell that info?

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Start with the thread measurements on you wheel bolts.

I've bought from this web site. They may have information to help you along.
https://www.ezaccessory.com/lug_nuts_s/18779.htm

You can Google your lug thread pitch. Says 12x1.75 .. but then changed mid 2000 to 14mm. Try your owners manual, or call the dealer like you mentioned to confirm.

Most aftermarket car rims use "tuner" seat lugs. Not sure if different for truck rims.

If the shop forgot to send you the lugs, call em back.

The place you bought the wheels should be able to help you out
smile.gif

I called them. The told me they only sell wheels and not lug nuts. Very rude!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

My local tire shop just said that if I take 1 of my new wheels to my loacl auto parts store they will be able to get the correct lug nuts. True?

If the salesperson knows what to look at (or for) or has been trained to look things up.

Most of the time people are concerned with the way the nut contacts the surface of the wheel.

Some cast wheels have contours which differ from "flat" steel (as you know).

You have to match the type of lugnut seating surface, the thread pitch and diameter and make sure the overall size of the lugnut fits in the hole on the wheel (for recessed alloy wheels)

For example my cherokee oem lugbolts wont fit in the holes for my winter wheels so I had to get some gorilla "tuner style" nuts with special removal tool (ugh)

tech.info_.4.gif

The most common types are the first 2. in that picture.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I called them. The told me they only sell wheels and not lug nuts. Very rude!

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

eek! Definitely not a place I want to do business with
45.gif
31.gif

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Not sure how to figure out the thread measuremensts. If I give my vin# to my local ford dealer will they be able to tell that info?

Get yourself a 12mm open end wrench. Hold it over your lug stud. Should just barely fit. Boom! 12mm.

Then hold it longways and count how many threads are between the ends and divide. Almost 7 threads in 12mm= 1.75mm thread pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back