AC Delco D1G2 5w30 - Dealer Bulk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy,

I performed a VOA on what the dealer stated was AC Delco D1G2 Full Syn 5w30. TBN is abnormal. Anything else out of the ordinary in this sample before I email them back regarding the TBN?

Looking for thoughts, theories and suggestions on what this oil might be, if we can tell if it's D1G2 and any other insights.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mty1qfadrqo89h5/2082768_UNK-S006218-VOA%23VOA_N020-47356-6041_NAR.PDF?dl=0

.6 has to be Metric TBN
grin.gif
I would have them rerun the test because you want to know for sure !

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
With over 1100 Ca & 500 Mg, TBN has to be higher than 0.8!
Yep, the over-based calcium compounds, and the Mg compounds too, which do show up on the VOA, is the stuff that makes it have a high TBN.

The fact that Ca is around ~1,000 ppm and Mg is ~500 ppm or so does mean this is very likely a dexos1 Gen2 oil, confirmed that. (LSPI protection with lower Ca instead of the old usual ~2,000 ppm Ca.)

Also, the Ti at 18 ppm resembles the amount of Ti that Castrol puts into their Syntec line. Much less than what Kendall typically does though.
Interesting that AC-Delco oil has now hopped on the Afton Titanium bandwagon. https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/20...ive-engine-oils

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
With over 1100 Ca & 500 Mg, TBN has to be higher than 0.8!
Yep, the over-based calcium compounds, and the Mg compounds too, which do show up on the VOA, is the stuff that makes it have a high TBN.

The fact that Ca is around ~1,000 ppm and Mg is ~500 ppm or so does mean this is very likely a dexos1 Gen2 oil, confirmed that. (LSPI protection with lower Ca instead of the old usual ~2,000 ppm Ca.)

Also, the Ti at 18 ppm resembles the amount of Ti that Castrol puts into their Syntec line. Much less than what Kendall typically does though.
Interesting that AC-Delco oil has now hopped on the Afton Titanium bandwagon. https://www.nist.gov/news-events/news/20...ive-engine-oils

Not sure it's actually "ACDELCO" oil. Do we have VOAs for Castrol to compare? There is a big Castrol bulk oil supplier locally, so it could be Castrol.

I do like the adpack. I would have liked to have flash included to determine the new D1G2 higher flash we're seeing.

Originally Posted By: webfors
Not sure it's actually "ACDELCO" oil. Do we have VOAs for Castrol to compare? There is a big Castrol bulk oil supplier locally, so it could be Castrol.
I do like the adpack. I would have liked to have flash included to determine the new D1G2 higher flash we're seeing.

Haven't seen any Castrol Edge dexos1 Gen2 flavors on a UOA or VOA lately. Not many oils use Ti, so we could assume this is Castrol. Good oil it is. Lots of boron which cleans.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Haven't seen any Castrol Edge dexos1 Gen2 flavors on a UOA or VOA lately. Not many oils use Ti, so we could assume this is Castrol. Good oil it is. Lots of boron which cleans.

I would be quite pleased if it was Castrol D1G2. I've emailed them to retest TBN. I'm surprised they didn't flag it.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Iron, aluminum and silicon in virgin oil.....

I've seen this before on VOAs. Transport and storage of bulk oil is most likely the culprit.

The lab performed a second analysis, at another Toromont lab, and the results show a 9.2 TBN. Glad I didn't run an oil with a 0.6 TBN for the past 2k miles
grin.gif

Lab Analysis Retest

The lab performed a second analysis, at another Toromont lab, and the results show a 9.2 TBN. Glad I didn't run an oil with a 0.6 TBN for the past 2k miles
grin.gif

Lab Analysis Retest

So with the information of the retest, this look like a Gen2 spec oil with a decent ad pack.

Could this be any other oil than Castrol Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back