It's been a good run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice video, thanks for finding it.

I have flown this airplane many times, in both pilot seats, all over the world. I flew it off and on from 1993-2009, between stints on the A-320 and the A-330.

Sad to see the old girl go...she was my favorite airliner. It was fasssst, stable, highly automated, overbuilt, very reliable and commanded respect, as the Queen she is.

Farewell Your Majesty.

Delta and United both had considerable maintenance problems with their aging 747 fleets and had airliners with which to replace them, so it was time for them to go. Fewer seats can equal more yield since there is less need to discount them.
The 747-8 program was a mistake on Boeing's part and the Airbus A380 appears to be one as well.
The 747-8 at least makes a good freighter and Boeing was no doubt counting on higher new-build freighter sales to cover program costs while the A380 has one operator depending upon the type to make its current business model work.
There will likely be no more four engine high capacity airliners developed, so these 747 retirements represent the beginning of the end of an era.

I guess the smaller more efficient jets can serve directly the smaller airports making the hub airports less needed. I love the 747 but things change for the better.

Could not get a picture of the nacelles from the airport ... and our B777 is a bit far ... but you can expand the shot and see chevrons ...

Originally Posted By: CT8
I guess the smaller more efficient jets can serve directly the smaller airports making the hub airports less needed. I love the 747 but things change for the better.

This is certainly the mantra of the Boeing guys peddling 787 and 777 aircraft as well as those from Airbus trying to move A330 and A350 aircraft.
The reality is a bit different, though.
These twins are typically less efficient on a seat mile cost basis than a big boy like the 747-8 or the A380, but you need to be able to fill those seats through most of the months of each year to make the higher trip costs of these big aircraft work.
Most 787s and most A350s are used on hub to hub routes.
What are called hubs exist only because they're located in markets with the population base and the wealth to generate strong local demand. The spoke traffic for these markets is only icing on the cake.
The richer markets support these larger aircraft, which is the reason that you'll always see A380s and B747s at LAX or JFK but never at CLE or CMH.

The 747 is the only jet I feel like hugging and giving it a kiss when I see one. The lump is my aircraft love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back