Lost my oil change location

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had access underneath the vehicles in a bay like at a quick lube. Been looking for some decent steel ramps. Any recommendations? Figured this forum would be the best place to ask. Will be changing my 93 s10, 08 Santa Fe, and 17 Malibu. The Malibu is rather low to the ground compared to the other two. If you don't recommend ramps let me know of some good jackstands.

What I'm leaning towards but worried about Malibu getting up there

https://www.amazon.com/Nicky-Nice-Solid-...amps+oil+change

I have a pair of Rhino ramps that I've used for my Neon and Town and Country. I think I have the 12k, but they're also available in 16k.

Best part about them is that they don't slide, because of rubber pads, like metal ones do

I was looking at amazon reviews & saw where many of them were breaking on first use. User error or are they hit & miss on quality? Made me start looking for steel ramps.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I have a pair of Rhino ramps that I've used for my Neon and Town and Country. I think I have the 12k, but they're also available in 16k.

Best part about them is that they don't slide, because of rubber pads, like metal ones do

Originally Posted By: bradtech
I was looking at amazon reviews & saw where many of them were breaking on first use. User error or are they hit & miss on quality? Made me start looking for steel ramps.

Originally Posted By: racer12306

I don't know. Mine are probably 8/9 years old

The newer Rhino ramps scare me, they're HOLLOW on the inside! I have an older set, not sure I would want a newer one. Sears used to have them, I have an older metal set that came from them-but I ALWAYS use jackstands too!

Yeah, look at the amazon reviews with pictures on the newer rhino ramps. A lot of collapsing occurring. Guess they started cost cutting on something that shouldn't be. Bad deal if you are under the car & it falls on you.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
The newer Rhino ramps scare me, they're HOLLOW on the inside! I have an older set, not sure I would want a newer one. Sears used to have them, I have an older metal set that came from them-but I ALWAYS use jackstands too!

Man i just drive up on some thick boards just enough clearance to fit my big head
And its super low profile
21.gif

Anyways, i see the ramps at harbor freight sometimes
Example harbor freight item # 67722
Combine with 20% off 1 item
16k GVWR
Idk might be good to check out.

I made a ramp out of 2x4s they work great and I made them the hight I wanted.

I had steel ramps. They collapsed. Thankfully I was not under the vehicle. Got plastic Rhino ramps from AutoZone. Had them for a couple years, had vehicles from a Smart car to a Toyota Tundra on them. No issues at all. Jack stands failed me once too. So Rhino Ramps for me.

Originally Posted By: Insertcoolname
Man i just drive up on some thick boards just enough clearance to fit my big head
And its super low profile
21.gif

Anyways, i see the ramps at harbor freight sometimes
Example harbor freight item # 67722
Combine with 20% off 1 item
16k GVWR
Idk might be good to check out.

those are the ones I have. on my second set, as the first ones were 6 -7 years old, and had some small cracks...

I tried replacing them with a set of Rhino ramps, based on the glowing recommendations from people on here.
what utter garbage. not only did they crack, but the LITTLE lip/stop block on them did nothing to prevent my car from going over, and smashing up some things in my dad's garage. (gas range,cabinets, etc. only damage to the car was a bent license plate)

thought that maybe i had put a little to much oompf into the drive up, and the cracks weren't terribly serious, so i gave them another shot to do the OC on my buddies vibe. I'm guiding him up, and wouldn't you know it, as he approaches the stop lip, the whole tail raises up and hits the rocker panel, which if his reaction time wasn't better than mine, would have led to him going over them as well...
did not hesitate in returning them after that. glad i hadn't thrown out my old magnums yet.
a while later found a new set of magnums at ollie's. bought 'em in a heart beat.

Last edited:
I built my own, and don't worry about collapse.

The base is a 48" long 2x10. On top of that is a 40" 2x8, then a 32" 2x8, then a 24" 2x8, and a 16" 2x8. I have a bump stop on the end, to keep from driving off the wrong edge.

All of it was scrap lumber. I cut the leading edge of all of the boards at a shallow angle as well.

Originally Posted By: krismoriah72
Rhino Ramps

https://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-11909AB...s=plastic+ramps

I own a set and have had everything from the very low Honda Fit to the scary heavy Chevrolet Suburban on mine..

+1 From reading and comments many Bitog members use the 12k Rhinos and are satisfied. PepBoys on ebay currently has them $15 less than Amazon, also a delivered/shipped price. See link https://www.ebay.com/itm/Flotool-RhinoRa...148&vxp=mtr

As for your linked metal "Ultra Ramps", same thing sold at Harbor Freight now for significantly less. I own a set and have for many years, yellow back then. They work well, however the extensions which are needed (I own) now for many vehicles can't be found. And I expect your Malibu would need them.

I own the 16k Rhinos and am very satisfied. They are currently $36 at PepBoys b&m stores as linked HERE However I believe 12k will work fine for your needs.

Here's a thread with some comments about the 12k and 16k Rhinos. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4517009/1

I use Rhino Ramps for my Cherokee...it's a low rider (well compared to everything else I have). They're the plastic ones and seem to be just fine. Got mine at Walmart.

I've used 16k Rhino Ramps for a while with no issue. My wife's old Civic had no issue with height, but I've seen where guys have to use a 2x8 at the leading edge to get a lower car (or low overhang) onto the ramps.

It's not a bad idea to get some wheel chocks for the back tires too, even if you do set the parking brake.

I park a 2014 Tundra (front end) on the Rhino Ramps for an oil change. I have a 2011 Sequoia, too. Both vehicles roll over the scales at about 6,000 lbs. Most of the Tundra's weight is from the rear of the cab forward.

I have not noticed any problems with my Rhino ramps. I am careful as to how they are placed and I'm always on flat concrete. I believe some of the failures have come from people using them on unstable gravel areas (most likely areas with 3/4" gravel).

I was a little leery of the hollow Rhino ramps, so I bought Scepter ramps from Amazon.
The cars I have used them with are under 4000lbs so I don't stress them too much, but I found that it was still too cramped under my daughter's Impreza to use my torque wrench and ended up just using an oil extractor for that change...I also made a mistake in assuming that her drain plug would be the same as on my Forester and didn't have the correct crush washer size handy. Next time I will probably have a small open ended wrench handy and do my best on tightening without having the torque wrench as a crutch.
One downside to the Scepters is that they are not stackable and take a lot of storage space.

I use Rhino ramps to work on the Rav4's transfer case but I can change the oil in the Rav4, Camry, and Corolla without ramps. Surprised you'd need ramps to change oil in a Tundra.

With the rhino ramps you have to use them on level concrete or asphalt.

no gravel or dirt ...they will self destruct.

Also if you somehow manage to ram them and push them.. they can be damaged..

ie putting a RWD pickup on them with the ramps slipping on the pavement due to slush etc.

I like the rhino ramps.. they went out of business and another company makes them now IIRC.

Durability is not an issue just buy the 12000+lb models and dont abuse them.

This would be in the garage or on the driveway which is level. No dirt/gravel. Sounds like they might be a good candidate then.

Originally Posted By: Rand
With the rhino ramps you have to use them on level concrete or asphalt.

no gravel or dirt ...they will self destruct.

Also if you somehow manage to ram them and push them.. they can be damaged..

ie putting a RWD pickup on them with the ramps slipping on the pavement due to slush etc.

I like the rhino ramps.. they went out of business and another company makes them now IIRC.

Durability is not an issue just buy the 12000+lb models and dont abuse them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back