2004-2006 Ford F-150 vs Dodge Ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just looking for some recommendations/thoughts,

My dad is interested in buying a pick up truck (first one in his life, recently retired).
He wants a full size (2 seat rows)

After reviewing the budget and these conditions it seems we would fall either on a Ford F-150 or a Dodge Ram 2004-2006 models.

The truck would be used for mainly driving on the weekends and hauling the family and some stuff in the back every once in a while (fishing trips, etc).

Could you give me your thoughts on the models mentioned above?.
Main issues know for these?.
What to look for when buying an used one.

Thank you.

Having owned both of these, I'd opt for the Dodge.

My dislike for the Ford stems from:

-rust concerns (not body rust - I know they all do that). You're down south so that's a non-issue anyway.
-My dislike for the Mod motor in a truck application. The 4.6 and 5.4 are DOGS in full sized pickups, and they are thirsty to boot.
-The 2 valve engines are fairly reliable, but the 3 valve engines have their own unique set of problems that takes them down a notch.
- If you do your own maintanence: The Mod motor is large, externally, and they don't fit nicely into these newer cab-over designs. Working on them is a relative pain, compared
to a smaller pushrod engine.

I think both the Mopar 4.7 and Hemi are much better performing engines in pickup trucks. They're strong, they run well, and get ok mileage for their application.

That said, for what you're gonna use it for, either will suit you fine. But if I have to pick, I prefer the Dodge.

I had a 2005 Dodge Ram with the 5.7. Ran it for 9 years with no issues and plenty of power to haul my 5500 lb boat and trailer. It ran a steady diet of castrol Edge 5w-20. I have a 2014 now. No complaints

I have a 2007 Dodge Laramie 4 door. Use it to haul family on trips and to tow my 24.5 ft 5th wheel. It has been great. Has 196K on the Hemi and just regular maintenance. I know about the spark plug issues on the Ford 5.4. Every member of the family prefers to travel in the Dodge. Mileage averages 16 to 23 Hiway. No complaints. Has that variable displacement.

I seem to gravitate towards Fords. Have since I was 16. Have had one in the family for over 40 years, before it was sold on... Have driven Dodges. Not a huge fan. But, have never owned anything with a Mod Motor ...

Don't like putting a motor under the cowl or dash. Would not own a "modern" truck. Have to be able to get to all the running gear reasonably easy, or no-go ...

Originally Posted By: knoas
Hey guys,

Just looking for some recommendations/thoughts,

My dad is interested in buying a pick up truck (first one in his life, recently retired).
He wants a full size (2 seat rows)

After reviewing the budget and these conditions it seems we would fall either on a Ford F-150 or a Dodge Ram 2004-2006 models.

The truck would be used for mainly driving on the weekends and hauling the family and some stuff in the back every once in a while (fishing trips, etc).

Could you give me your thoughts on the models mentioned above?.
Main issues know for these?.
What to look for when buying an used one.

Thank you.

Is there any reason you ruled out the 2004-2006 Silverado/Sierras?

The main reason is that in the price range or budget some silverado and Cheyennes did actually come up but they were single row (not sure how its called in the US) and my dad wanted the full size one with 2 rows in order to fit all the family easier.

My dad likes the Ram more in terms of looks, so i came here trying to get some more detailed feedback from people who have owned and worked on these models and help my dad avoid one if there is some big known issue.

My '06 Ram has been good (granted it's a diesel), but once you put your family members in the back of a Mega Cab, they won't like riding in a regular quad/crew or extended cab. It's like an off-road limo!

Last edited:
4.7L Dodge, Or a 3-Valve Ford Modular.....NEITHER one!!!!! I have replaced more 4.7L engines than any other fullsize truck engine combined! The 3-Valve Modular is a good engine besides the spark plug & Cam Phaser issues.

5.7L Dodge is your best bet with the criteria given.

A 4.7L Tundra is short on power but pretty reliable & easy to work on save for the Timing Belt.

A 1500HD or 2500HD GM truck would get you a 6.0L/4L80E combination, Probably the best combination available in the given year range.

Originally Posted By: clinebarger
4.7L Dodge, Or a 3-Valve Ford Modular.....NEITHER one!!!!! I have replaced more 4.7L engines than any other fullsize truck engine combined! The 3-Valve Modular is a good engine besides the spark plug & Cam Phaser issues.

5.7L Dodge is your best bet with the criteria given.

A 4.7L Tundra is short on power but pretty reliable & easy to work on save for the Timing Belt.

A 1500HD or 2500HD GM truck would get you a 6.0L/4L80E combination, Probably the best combination available in the given year range.

This guy nailed it. The 4.7L Dodge is worse than the Ford offerings, even given the phaser and plug replacement issues on the 3V Modular. The 5.7L HEMI is the best of the offerings during that period, particularly in terms of power, though it is thirsty!

Aside from that, the interior quality of the Ford truck will be better, as this was "Fisher Price" era Chrysler.

If you can live with the Dodge interior and can get it with the 5.7L, that would be my choice. If you can't, then a Ford with the 5.4L, as you'll find the 4.6L pretty weak.

I owned an 05 Ram 1500 crew cab with the 4.7 for a few months. Decent on gas but it seemed a bit underpowered. Wouldn't own that era F-150 either. GM offerings hold their value a bit better than Dodge and Ford of that era because they have better drivetrains. The Ford interior is nicer and the Dodge with the 5.7 Hemi is going to give you more power than any 4.6/5.4 Ford or 4.8/5.3 GM.

Take it from a Ford 5.4 3V owner: stay away from this engine.

The 4.6 is a pooch in a pickup. It's the motorized equivalent of that boy all of the fathers like their daughters to hang around because he may as well be a chick.

Clinebarger hit the nail on the head with the 4.7. Trash.

Ford mod motors: Size of a big block, gas mileage of a big block, power of a good V6.

Another vote for a Hemi Ram.

Ram = Better looking interior, better looking exterior, more power.

Ford = More produced/common, easier to find for sale, better parts availability, everybody has worked or works on ford.

Chevy/GMC = Bad

Originally Posted By: BrocLuno

Don't like putting a motor under the cowl or dash. Would not own a "modern" truck. Have to be able to get to all the running gear reasonably easy, or no-go ...

That is a big statement right there with any older vehicle. Somebody is going to be struggling around under there, count on it. It’s going to amount to either time And misery + blood vs. far bigger $$$$$ outlay if you pay a mechanic neither of which is good.

Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Why not step down one year or two 2002-2003 for Ford 5.4 2v? Ours has been great!

My Dad has an 03 4x4, and other than bad looking frame rust, it seems to be holding together quite well. They tow a 5k lb RV trailer with it and the trans has survived the Appalachian mountains a few times even with tall axle ratios. He got the plugs changed without a problem and its not needed too much other stuff.
It likes gas so don't use it as a commuter, but it does truck duty fine.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
Why not step down one year or two 2002-2003 for Ford 5.4 2v? Ours has been great!

My Dad has an 03 4x4, and other than bad looking frame rust, it seems to be holding together quite well. They tow a 5k lb RV trailer with it and the trans has survived the Appalachian mountains a few times even with tall axle ratios. He got the plugs changed without a problem and its not needed too much other stuff.
It likes gas so don't use it as a commuter, but it does truck duty fine.

'03 should have the full-thread holes, as that transition happened sometime in '02 (our Expedition didn't get them unfortunately) but it sounds like his experience mirrors ours with it. It just worked. But boy do they like fuel.

Hey guys,

Thank you for your all your comments and experiences shared,

Based on the trend that i see in most of the comments, i will recommend my dad as follows:

1. Dodge Ram with the big V8 HEMI

2. Step down to 2002-2003 in case of the Ford Models

I spoke to my dad last night and he seems like he really liked the RAM but hopefully we can find a good one.

Gas mileage is not really a concern as this will in no way be a commuter vehicle, my dad is retired and has a 2012 4 cylinder Chrysler 200 for daily errands.

Next week i will post what we ended buying.

If someone wants to make some more comments/recommendations please go ahead.

I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back