Smartphone: Motorola or Samsung

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madRiver
What problem you trying to solve changing phones?

The major qualm and benefit of iPhone SE is size.

I don’t care for Apples ethics and other policies basically.

I messed with a LG K20 today, very light phone and easy to navigate and use
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
I messed with a LG K20 today, very light phone and easy to navigate and use
smile.gif

I really like mine, no real complaints and have had it about 8 months now. Got it for $49 as part of switching service carrier.

As others wrote, you have to consider specific models rather than just the brand.
But between those two brands I generally prefer Samsung over Motorola (Lenovo).
I would take a good look at some Huawei phones too.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
As others wrote, you have to consider specific models rather than just the brand.
But between those two brands I generally prefer Samsung over Motorola (Lenovo).
I would take a good look at some Huawei phones too.

Well, I just didn’t like the look of the Hauwei phones. The LG K20 is THIN
smile.gif

The Motorola phone has decent reviews. Maybe I’ll venture out today since it’s sun and bare roads now

Originally Posted By: car51
I’m thinking of the Samsung J7 for what I want. I don’t do much games or other stuff with a smartphone

Terrible phone IMO. I own two and wish I would have spent the extra money for an S8. Laggy and buggy most of the time, the screen will not auto rotate after a day requiring you to reset the phone. Also effects the camera operation. Speaking of camera, it's terrible at taking pictures, my S3 took better pictures and the phone was 4 years old! Photos and documents randomly corrupt themselves, even on an SD card. Would not recommend at all!

Alarmguy-
you sing the praises of the Huawei phones and appear to like them a lot. But do they come with loads of Bloatware (like Samsung does)? This is a deal breaker for me.

Originally Posted By: willbur
Alarmguy-
you sing the praises of the Huawei phones and appear to like them a lot. But do they come with loads of Bloatware (like Samsung does)? This is a deal breaker for me.

Absolutely not, Huawei is remarkably free of bloatware. Its a pretty darn clean install of Android Nougat.
I like clean basic installs of all types of computer operating systems and equipment as well, much of the bloatware is plain garbage.

My work supplied MotoG Force which is a pretty expensive phone was much more annoying with bloatware and Verizon bloatware which I am pretty good at getting rid of, as I do on all my devices..

Last edited:
Carrier provided phones, even the unlocked ones, can have all sorts of bloatware or not, the manufacturer doesn't control that. Factory unlocked phones, on the other hand, are fully controlled by them and usually have the least amount or no bloatware at all. And even then it will probably vary model to model.

Another aspect to consider, beside bloatware, which by the way can be at the very least easily disabled, is the factory skin manufacturers apply over stock Android, I guess to differentiate themselves from the competition. The heavier the skin, the slower and laggier the experience generally speaking.

Well, deed is done. Got a screaming deal on a Samsung Galaxy S7. Was $400, PLUS $150 off purchase and I put $125 down. Love the phone so far
smile.gif

I'll pay the $200~ off real fast especially with monthly bonus coming back to work
smile.gif

Thanks for the info and help folks

Verizon, as a 25% discount helps
smile.gif

Researching how to help battery life on Samsung devices. What's laymans way to "in install" apps built into Samsung phone?

Congrats, the S7 should serve you well.

With amoled displays it saves quite a bit of battery life having a dark theme and a dark wallpaper. Also turn off background data usage for all apps, with exception of emails, maps and apps that you truly want to update in the background.
But there is only so much you can do. This is or was a flagship and it will need more juice by default.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back