What if both pilots become incapacitated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve talked dozens of non-pilots, including kids, teenagers, all sorts of folks, through landings in a 747, 757, and 767 simulator when I was an instructor.

I’ve done it in the F-14 simulator, though NO amount of coaching and help led to a successful carrier landing.

But I’m sitting right there and can program the FMS, configure the airplane, and coach and direct in real time.

That level of help simply doesn’t exist except from an experienced pilot looking over your shoulder.

It will not exist in flight if both pilots are incapacitated.

Originally Posted By: Blaze
Looks like flight 11 (911) would have gone done anyway even if they had regained control from the terrorist.

The same terrorist(s) that performed aerobatic maneuvers well beyond the limits of the airframe(s) the first time piloting these aircraft outside of a simulator, all under the stress of a hijack situation?

Just want to make sure we are on the same page of the coloring book..

Originally Posted By: TurboTravis
Originally Posted By: Blaze
Looks like flight 11 (911) would have gone done anyway even if they had regained control from the terrorist.

The same terrorist(s) that performed aerobatic maneuvers well beyond the limits of the airframe(s) the first time piloting these aircraft outside of a simulator, all under the stress of a hijack situation?

Just want to make sure we are on the same page of the coloring book..

Can we please not go here?

The only place this is headed is a bunch of arguing and a thread lock.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
If you were already a private or commercial pilot, and you spent a couple of hours in the simulator with me, we could get you to the point of being able to operate the radios and basic auto flight management. You would have a fighting chance.

The MS flight simulator idea isn’t a bad one...that program is good.

We often get the same meals, it’s rare that anyone gets sick from the chow. It’s not happened to me in 20 years...now, the food on the layover, well, that’s happened, and recently!

Is that what the terrorists on Sept 11 do, a couple of hours on a flight sim? How much training did they have. Granted they didnt land but were able to hit a target. With all those buttons and levers I dont see how they could pull it off. Espspecially the Pentagon, that building isnt that high

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Yeah - you really think you can land a 737 on a road? Sure...That will just take the death toll up from "everybody on board" to "everybody on board PLUS every person in every car/truck/bus on that road for a couple miles".In the meantime, the FA was up in the cockpit for several minutes and COULD NOT FIGURE OUT how to descend the airplane or leave the holding pattern. That's an important point: with a commercial license, but no heavy jet experience, he couldn't apply his stick and rudder skills...and sat there helplessly as the airplane ran out of fuel.

A 737 has a yoke and rudder pedals. They are very simple to turn and descend. They fly just like a smaller airplane. For a pilot of smaller commercial planes, maneuvering would be a piece of cake in a 737. Nothing special about the roll rate or pitch rate commands in a 737.

Ehhhhh going from the CRJ200 to the 737 was different. Even the 700 and 800s are different.

I’ve talked dozens of non-pilots, including kids, teenagers, all sorts of folks, through landings in a 747, 757, and 767 simulator when I was an instructor.

I’ve done it in the F-14 simulator, though NO amount of coaching and help led to a successful carrier landing.

But I’m sitting right there and can program the FMS, configure the airplane, and coach and direct in real time.

That level of help simply doesn’t exist except from an experienced pilot looking over your shoulder.

It will not exist in flight if both pilots are incapacitated.

Aw, come on. I stuck hundreds of F-14 landings on Nintendo "Top Gun" when I was a kid.

"Altitude 100, speed 188!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back