Charging battery in the car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've done some digging on this topic and I haven't come up with much in the way of useful information. So I ask, must a battery be removed/disconnected from a modern car before charging/maintaining?

If it matters I use an SC-600A.

No because the battery will soak up the pulses from the poorly rectified charger.

You'd be doing your car the disfavor of resetting its learned fuel tables in the process if you disconnected the battery.

No,you do not have to disconnect the battery to charge it.

You can leave the battery connected to the vehicle and charge it.

I do it once a week for my 1985 Olds 88. The sound system and alarm has a decent constant load so I top off the charge on the battery once a week if I have not driven it much which is most weeks. I have a simple unregulated 13.8 Volt DC supply consisting of a decent size transformer, a big bridge rectifier and a big capacitor. 13.8 Volts is a good voltage to connect to a car battery because that is the Voltage batteries will be at when they are fully charged.

Originally Posted By: Donald
If there is a chance the battery is frozen you need to get it warm before charging. That may mean pulling the battery and bringing it inside.

Hopefully, it isn't that discharged.

If a battery gets so low it freezes, it's hard to bring them back.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
No. Onboard chargers permanently connected to a mounted battery are as common as roaches in the marine and RV industry.

Second this. I drive a Parker 3420 and as soon as we get back to the dock and shut everything down the engine and house battery chargers get switched on. No ill effects in 3 years of operation. Every few weeks I charge my Jetta battery on a 6 amp Solar Prologix charger. I only do this because I feel all the short tripping never really gets it back up to full charge.

I don't disconnect the battery, never have and probably never will but I will throw this out. In 84 when the new Corvette came out GM made a big to do about removing the cables before charging the battery. I don't remember what the reason was.

If the battery case is bulged it is or has been frozen, do not charge it until you are 100% positive it isn't, one of these is the only time I saw a batter explode in trade school, we all got and acid splash.

I am surprised you were unable to come up with any useful information on this topic. As others have said you can charge/maintain the battery in your car while it is connected. Many high end cars come with CTEK smart battery chargers/maintainers from the factory. For example, my 2015 Stingray had a port above the battery in the cargo compartment specifically designed to attach the OEM charger. If you buy a CTEK unit after market, they come with a pigtail you can install on the battery so all you have to do is plug in the charger. Here is one example for you to consider if you are in the market.

https://smartercharger.com/products/batterychargers/ctek-multi-us-7002/

I am aware of devices such as the ctek and how they can be connected while the battery is still connected. The thing that wasn't evident was whether or not this was device specific. Maybe I could have been a little more specific in my question. Do I need a device like the ctek to charge my battery in the car or will my Schumacher battery charger get it done with no I'll effects? I think, based on the comments here, I should have no problem with using what I already have.

I charge batteries regularly while they are still in the vehicle and have never had a problem. I use a Pro Logix smart charger as I don't trust the older unfiltered, unregulated chargers on newer cars and trucks with all of the electronics equipment in them. I don't like to disconnect the battery as there could be problems with the memory circuits.

If it's just for maintaining charge, leave it hooked up. If you're trying to recharge it, particularly with a small charger (all I have is a little 2A charger), you'll want to disconnect.

Originally Posted By: jsb025
I've done some digging on this topic and I haven't come up with much in the way of useful information. So I ask, must a battery be removed/disconnected from a modern car before charging/maintaining?..

I always disconnect the battery. If there is a big voltage spike on the 120V supply, or a charger failure, I don't want it to damage the vehicle ECM.

Originally Posted By: Alex_V
If it's just for maintaining charge, leave it hooked up. If you're trying to recharge it, particularly with a small charger (all I have is a little 2A charger), you'll want to disconnect.

A small charger will make less "noise" in comparison to the stable battery voltage unless it's a real bag of dirt. I'd be more concerned about the 50 Amp "start mode" on a junky Harbor Freight charger-booster.

I leave my 1996 Contour hooked up to my 2 amp Craftsman "maintainer" for months during the winter with the battery in the car. Been doing this for years every winter and never had an issue. The car is in a "semi" heated garage so I don't have to worry about battery freezing. I've also used this to slowly bring weaker batteries up to full charge. Since it's only 2 amp it stay connected to the battery for 8-12ish hours. Again the battery is connected and I've never had a problem. Of course the vehicles are older and not as electronic sensitive as brand new vehicles could be.

Whimsey

If the alternator charges the battery with everything connected (and running), I don't see why you can't do the same thing with a battery charger. I never disconnect my batteries while charging/maintaining and haven't had any issues yet.

Originally Posted By: Anduril
If the alternator charges the battery with everything connected (and running), I don't see why you can't do the same thing with a battery charger. I never disconnect my batteries while charging/maintaining and haven't had any issues yet.

Seems like a common sense response.
I've been charging connected batteries for years and have never had a problem.

Do any of you folks know where I can buy a CTEK in the GTA I live just east of Toronto.
Canadian Tire no longer sells them and I'm drawing blanks from their website. I'd rather not buy from amazon.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back