Your Favorite Diesel Vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UncleDave

that was the same as a luv truck right?
The gas pup was a dog - never knew there was a diesel pup.

2.3 IDI Isuzu N/A up until 1984? VERY much dogg....

Got a turbo in 1985 & newer - much better, but very short lifespan.

Originally Posted By: George7941
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I have a soft spot for the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 Fords mostly because selling parts helps my paycheck. I also like the V10 Tourags, my friend's grandpa had one and from a standstill it would light the tires up through 3rd gear.

I have not heard anything negative about the 6.7s. Are they turning out to be unreliable? All late diesels have issues with emission devices like DPF and DOC. Do the 6.7s have issues unrelated to emissions?

The Bosch CP4.2 HPFP fails, taking out the rest of the fuel system. In far too many cases even where there is no sign of water in the fuel system, Ford has denied warranty coverage, leaving the owner stuck with a 10k+ bill.

There have been other engine component failures, but that's the big one.

All late diesels have issues with emission devices like DPF and DOC. Do the 6.7s have issues unrelated to emissions?

I wouldn't own a modern diesel if I had to leave all the emissions stuff in place.

"diesel & deleted" go together like "peas-n-carrots"!

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Silk, I really do think that there's a distinction there.

There are "diesel engines" which run forever, are robustly built, and can take a hammering.

Then there's the modern engines that "run on diesel", like the VMs in my Colorado and Captiva.

Yeees. Having been around diesels a long time, modern common rail engines don't fit into my ''diesel engine'' ideal. Alloy blocks, alloy heads, it's not what they should be made of. The Mitsubishi 4D56 has been through some different eras, being converted from a petrol engine, early version were pretty gutless, got turbos and intercoolers, electronic pumps, and finally a dohc head and common rail. From being something we hated see pull into a workshop, the engine now gives very little trouble.

Interesting how deep set ''noisy smelly diesel'' is in the minds of North Americans. I was out for a 7 hour ride on my bike yesterday (down to Awakino for a beer) and was behind a diesel several times, waiting for an inappropriate time and place to pass, and remember noting that I couldn't smell a thing, even going up hills where they would've been WOT.

Originally Posted By: Balrog006
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Unimog

Aren’t they a Mercedes diesel?

Yessir. I can't even remotely justify purchasing one, but I'm getting closer to coming up with some lame excuse everyday.

They're just so.....AHHH!!!

Love them.

All the modern diesels, well the Japanese, Korean and European ones anyway, are nice to drive. My pick though has to be the Toyota Landcruiser 200 Series with the twin turbo V8 diesel. Great sound and lotsa grunt
smile.gif

I absolutely love the sound of a 1997-2003 Ford Super Duty with the 7.3L V8 before the 6.0/6.4L motors came out. It doesn't sound like a bus like the GM diesels or Cummins(although a ISL/ISM doesn't sound too bad bolted up to a Voith tranny on some buses, the ISB bolted to a Allison hybrid bus system sounds like an angry Prius).

But NOTHING compares to the sound of a Detroit 2-stroke. I also like the roar of a Series 60.

Love diesel vehicles. I really, really, really want a decent diesel SUV for everyday use, like a newer 4Runner or perhaps a newer Pajero with the 3.2. But I must say the Landcruiser 70 series just jumps out at me. For my running around diesel, a new LC70 Wagon would fit that bill.

But all I got is my 17 Ram 3500. It runs great and still has a rough sound and feel to it that I like.

Originally Posted By: SR5

The modern Isuzu D-Max (ute / pick up) or MU-X (SUV) 4x4 both with a 3.0L Turbo Diesel look like great vehicles.
The guy next door has the MU-X. Very solid.

What's the 3.0 in those ?

The colorado is a VM engine.

Ask your neighbour to buy my tyres n ebay

It's a Isuzu 4JJ1 light truck engine and unique to this ute according to them
https://www.isuzuute.com.au/d-max/performance.aspx
I hear it's tuned for low down torque, so it pulls out quick into heavy traffic from a stop, something not all the modern turbo diesels do so well.

It's actually his father in laws, but there all the time, as they visit a lot.

All the cool kids use Gumtree now days, not eBay.

Yep, they've been on Gumtree twice now.

Apparently the cool kids (both platforms) are as enamoured with Bridgestone Deuller HTs as I was when I took them off the truck at 14,000km.

I thought that Isuzu were going "back to the future" when they upgraded to the 3.0

Quote:
The 4JJ1-TC is a DOHC 16 V 3.0 L common rail direct injection engine with turbo and intercooler which replaced the 4JH1 in the Holden Rodeo and later Chevrolet & Holden Colorado produced in Thailand. Stock power was 146 hp (107 kW) and 294 N·m with a 17.5:1 compression ratio. Bore x stroke is 95.4 mm x 104.9 mm.

The 4JJ1-TCX is a DOHC 16 V 3.0 L common rail direct injection engine with VGS-turbo and intercooler, originally with a 17.5:1 compression ratio. Stock power in 2006 was 163 PS (120 kW) and 360 N·m for Manual transmission/ 333 N·m for Automatic transmission, increased to 177 ps and 380 N·m in 2011 with a reduction in compression ratio to 17.3:1. With the introduction of Isuzu's "BluePower" system for improved economy in 2015, the compression ratio was further reduced to 16.5:1 both for the facelifted "Blue Power" D-Max and the Mu-X. Bore x stroke is 95.4 mm x 104.9 mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Isuzu_engines

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/wacol/en...4jj1/1057411901

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Originally Posted By: marine65
my favorite diesel vehicle is the one behind me.
the one in front of me stinks.
I dont like diesels.

Diesel vehicles don't emit nearly the smell they use to since the introduction of ULSD in 2006.

Really?
Come and drive the roads in Colorado.
Some emit so much smoke that they make it hard to see other cars.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I have a soft spot for the 6.0, 6.4, and 6.7 Fords mostly because selling parts helps my paycheck. I also like the V10 Tourags, my friend's grandpa had one and from a standstill it would light the tires up through 3rd gear.

I have not heard anything negative about the 6.7s. Are they turning out to be unreliable? All late diesels have issues with emission devices like DPF and DOC. Do the 6.7s have issues unrelated to emissions?

Turbos, high pressure fuel pumps, emissions sensors like the DEF tank sensor. When the DEF tank sensor goes bad it puts the truck in limp mode thinking the tank is empty.

Originally Posted By: Silk

There are "diesel engines" which run forever, are robustly built, and can take a hammering.

Then there's the modern engines that "run on diesel", like the VMs in my Colorado and Captiva.

Yeees. Having been around diesels a long time, modern common rail engines don't fit into my ''diesel engine'' ideal. Alloy blocks, alloy heads, it's not what they should be made of. The Mitsubishi 4D56 has been through some different eras, being converted from a petrol engine, early version were pretty gutless, got turbos and intercoolers, electronic pumps, and finally a dohc head and common rail. From being something we hated see pull into a workshop, the engine now gives very little trouble.

Guy I know lent his BT50 to a friend this week to go somewhere and tow something back. Rigged up to go, and CEL illuminates, with a no start.

Initial estimates are $15,000 (Oz) fuel system work due to bad fuel.

Originally Posted By: Silk

Guy I know lent his BT50 to a friend this week to go somewhere and tow something back. Rigged up to go, and CEL illuminates, with a no start.

Initial estimates are $15,000 (Oz) fuel system work due to bad fuel.

Keen to hear the outcome of this one - cause, repair details, maintenance history of the vehicle, etc. Dozens of Ford Rangers (twin to the BT50) in our work fleet, we lost an engine in one that got water in the fuel (due to a filler neck issue caused by an aftermarket tray), otherwise they've proven very reliable. Hopefully your mate's insurance might cover the cost?

5 cyl, or the earlier 4 cyl ? A couple of years ago in the other shop, we were working on more BT50's than Tritons...and it was a Mitsi dealership. Cyl heads and complete engines. The problem with the dohc 4 cyl was the EGR cooler, it would get an internal leak and they would overheat. We did a couple of gearboxes too...both on the same day, and we were down to a 2 man shop by that stage. I don't see the 5 cyl much anymore, big thing with those is doing a quick oil change as the oil pump won't prime with a smoko drain. I don't do a lot of work for that company anymore, we lost the contract...but did do a full brake job on one of their Rodeos yesterday. The other company I do a lot of work for is now Bathurst, and looks like they are getting new Hi Aces, I won't be looking after those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back