Anybody Else Underwhelmed by Takeout Pizza?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: car51
Man, I’m jealous Shannow; you have a FOSTERS ALE there, never saw that around here
frown.gif

In looks to be a liter can too! Closet thing here is quart cans, but I haven't seen those since leaving the South.

The pizza that I want does not exist anymore. It came from an Italian restaurant that closed in 2002 (Dominic's). Therefore every pizza I will eat for the rest of my life will be a disappointment no matter how good it is. That said, my current pizza options are limited and not very promising. Of the three pizza places near to me, the only one I've tried lately is Marco's and it is barely adequate. I haven't had a Pisanello's pie in 10 years and never had one from Tano's. Surprisingly, my best option is to get a take-and-bake pie from the deli at Kroger's (either the Kroger brand or the Donato's brand) and doctor it up with whatever I choose to add. There is really no substitute for sinking your teeth into a pie that came out of your own oven 30 seconds ago vs one that had to travel 7 miles or more to get delivered.

Originally Posted By: GrtArtiste
The pizza that I want does not exist anymore. It came from an Italian restaurant that closed in 2002 (Dominic's).

The one in Westlake or Rocky River?

Originally Posted By: Delta
Man, I’m jealous Shannow; you have a FOSTERS ALE there, never saw that around here
frown.gif

In looks to be a liter can too! Closet thing here is quart cans, but I haven't seen those since leaving the South.

No, that was in New York in 2010 (wife won a trip there) we were staying in the Hilton Gardens, and IIRC, the pizza place was a couple of blocks towards Time Square, with a booze shop near it.

Never seen Fosters Ale in Oz.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
The pizza that I want does not exist anymore. It came from an Italian restaurant that closed in 2002 (Dominic's).

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

Now that looks incredible!

CT enjoys 20% of the population having Italian heritage, so 'no' I am not disappointed by takeout pizza; dominoes and PH although present in the state would not enter my "top 1000" of places to go, just like I would not go to Red Lobster being close to numerous seafood restaurants.

the pizza at Aldi's is very good, the fresh, the frozen, and the flatbreads. The 4 and 5 cheese are very tasty. However there are some I don't like, like bbq chicken. The Mediterranean is good.

Their Texas Toast is very good, much of their products are good.

Originally Posted By: Claud
I had pizza in Trieste and Venice a long time ago, nothing in any part of the world I've been to comes close.

Claud.

Lesson for US travelers; Red sauce is considered a topping; you don't get it unless you ask for it.

Live on Long Island and work in NYC. I have a couple of pizza places a stone's throw from my house that are both spectacular for different reasons. My absolute favorite is the place that makes paper thin Neapolitan pies in a coal fired oven. No slices.
The other place makes great pizzeria style pizza and all of their other stuff is good as well.
When I travel out of NY, I don't eat pizza. Barbecue and Southern when in the South, Lobster and seafood in New England...
Good thing I love pizza. I've recently started making my own when I need something to do. I use a cast iron pizza pan. Love it.

Last edited:
There was a small sign on the counter of a local pizza joint many years ago that simply said "pizza is like sex, even when it's bad it's still pretty good"
laugh.gif

Just my impression but I find that pizza that no matter how it’s made, if it goes through one of those automatic conveyer ovens then it’s not as good. The best of course is a wood fired oven. The pizza maker can cook the pizza according to what it is. For example, a big meaty pizza like pepperoni, sausage and olives should be in the oven a bit longer than say a Margherita. Those ovens make it simpler and faster for workers and customers but I’ll wait the extra few minutes for a wood fired pizza anyway.

Had some excellent diy pizza at home. Started with a multigrain naan bread for the crust, Kraft Italian Cheese Blend, Organic Marinara - grocery store brand, cut up fresh mushroom, a little garlic powder on top, some dried Italian seasoning crumbled on top. Stick in oven - 400 degrees, 12 minutes. Super easy and excellent.

Aldi had these yesterday ( I went to get a saw bench, LOL, they were sold out. ) Apologies for the glare on the stainless BBQ.

Bought the BBQ oven, and a frozen $3.89 bolognese pizza...it turned out great.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
For fear of getting the thread shut down....I won't counter those that think NY pizza is the best.

NY pizza was invented when the cook showed up one day with a raging hangover. He forgot the dough, and put all the toppings on the cardboard disk that goes under the pizza.

Originally Posted By: Delta
frown.gif

It's available, at least in New England. That looks like a 750ml "oilcan". (I work in the industry.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back