How do you usually pay for things?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Small purchases, like under a hundred bucks or so, cash.
Gas? Always CC, since this is the most convenient option.
You might be a little ahead using a credit card for every purchase given the rewards but you need to review your statements very carefully for fraudulent charges and the more transactions you have the harder this is to do.

You're absolutely right. If I wait more than a week to review my credit card purchases, I have to spend extra time thinking about whether they're all legit or not. This isn't because I purchase a ton of things, but because not every purchase shows up with readily identifiable nomenclature. "BEST BUY" or "Walmart" or "Shell" are all no-brainers, but sometimes an address is what's listed or some weird name for the store attached to the gas station, instead of "Shell" or something. It's similar for online purchases, for which multiple purchases are sometimes lumped together as one total amount. For Amazon purchases, for instance, I typically double-check the amount by logging on to Amazon to ensure things like Subscribe-and-save discounts are appropriately applied.

Sometimes, pending charges will be erroneously high. I need to check a day or two later to ensure the final credit amount is as expected.

I typically check my recent purchases online every few days, which makes things a lot easier. I use my credit card for nearly everything, but even I don't purchase so many things that reviewing all purchases every few days isn't incredibly easy. A fraudulent or unusual charge would stand out.

Sam's Club MasterCard for everything. We get 5% cash back on gasoline (anywhere); 3% cash back on restaurants and travel; and 1% cash back on everything else. There's no annual fee (other than belonging to Sam's Club), and I always pay the bill in full every month.

My wife and I travel a lot, and we eat out almost every meal. We get $700 - $1000 cash back every year.

Debit card, with Tap 'n' Go, Pay Pass, Contactless Pay, whatever you want to call it. Wife does the same but with her Apple watch. Shows up instantly on our bank statement. Rarely use cash.

Paying anything with a cheque (check) is pretty much unheard of in Australia. I don't know anyone who owns a chequebook.

Credit card. Sometimes I'll buy something that is a couple of bucks, so I'll do cash--but I usually reserve cash for flea markets and garage sales.

I think we use check for paying car registration and the local garage, and probably nothing else.

Cheques? Cash?

what-year-is-it-robin-williams.jpg

CC paid off monthly. I carry cash but rarely use it.

Same here. Charge it all and pay it off in full. Free $$ and no risk of personal / Bank account $$ theft like using debt or ATM. I also save my change then dump in into the self check out once in a while. Free coin counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back