Yesterday at 11:40 PM
Off-Road Trailer Tires
by troutfisher
Yesterday at 09:55 PM
Newest Members
TA128, Elantra16, Peterbilt52, CarllT100, 99SK04GTX
65515 Registered Users
Who's Online
87 registered (4WD, andyd, 2010Civic, AandPDan, 2004tdigls, 12 invisible), 1702 Guests and 30 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
65515 Members
67 Forums
287355 Topics
4793903 Posts

Max Online: 3590 @ 01/24/17 08:07 PM
Donate to BITOG
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4633889 - 01/13/18 05:49 PM Great department stores that are still around
car51 Online   content

Loc: Southwest PA
I was out and about today and headed to Weirton WV to local Gabe’s store. Haven’t been there in about a year. Very nice store inside. Any great stores near you folks that are still around and doing good?

#4633900 - 01/13/18 06:02 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: car51]
PimTac Online   content

Loc: Soviet State of Washington
The east coast must hang onto old traditions longer than the west coast. Not necessarily a bad thing. Around here, all the big name department store are long gone. Rhodes Bros, Woolworth’s, K-Mart etc. The Bon Marche which was the biggest in these parts is now Macy’s which has been at the edge of the abyss for a while. Nordstrom’s is still around but they are feeling the pressure as well.

Sears, JC Penny’s, are also on the morphine drip. When a store has more employees inside working than customers you know the end is near.

As a child of the sixties I was able to enjoy being in great department stores downtown and not in a mall. In the age of black and white television I was drawn to those old console style televisions with living color. Either football, golf or baseball was on.

Thanks for bringing up some fond memories.

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20
Mobil 1 M108A EP filter

#4633955 - 01/13/18 07:03 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: car51]
FermeLaPorte Offline

Loc: Texas (south)
H-E-B is expanding here. Also Walmart, Sam's, and Costco are expanding here.

#4633959 - 01/13/18 07:06 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: car51]
Papa Bear Offline

Loc: Leamington, ON, Canada ..... r...
That's quite a drive down #2 along the Ohio River.....
2009 V-Star 250
https://www.hogsforhospice.com/

Friend of Bill W. since '89

#4633978 - 01/13/18 07:47 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: PimTac]
andrewg Offline

Loc: Buckley, Wa.
Originally Posted By: PimTac
The east coast must hang onto old traditions longer than the west coast. Not necessarily a bad thing. Around here, all the big name department store are long gone. Rhodes Bros, Woolworth’s, K-Mart etc. The Bon Marche which was the biggest in these parts is now Macy’s which has been at the edge of the abyss for a while. Nordstrom’s is still around but they are feeling the pressure as well.

Sears, JC Penny’s, are also on the morphine drip. When a store has more employees inside working than customers you know the end is near.

As a child of the sixties I was able to enjoy being in great department stores downtown and not in a mall. In the age of black and white television I was drawn to those old console style televisions with living color. Either football, golf or baseball was on.

Ah yes....The Bon Marche'. Remember Frederick & Nelson's? Both were great stores. And yes, Woolworth's was a fantastic old department store. As a kid I absolutely loved going into Woolworth's in downtown Seattle. The smell of popcorn, the allure of candies of all types...the lunch counter....and all the STUFF a boy could want to poke through.

I miss all that.
2017 Arima Sea Ranger HT 21'
2017 Vespa Sprint S 150

#4633997 - 01/13/18 08:13 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: FermeLaPorte]
FordBroncoVWJeta Offline

Loc: KS
Originally Posted By: FermeLaPorte
H-E-B is expanding here. Also Walmart, Sam's, and Costco are expanding here.
I was down in McAllen TX last week. H-E-B might be bigger than Walmart there. Crazy to see that!
01 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2

#4634002 - 01/13/18 08:19 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: andrewg]
PimTac Online   content

Loc: Soviet State of Washington
Originally Posted By: andrewg

Ah yes....The Bon Marche'. Remember Frederick & Nelson's? Both were great stores. And yes, Woolworth's was a fantastic old department store. As a kid I absolutely loved going into Woolworth's in downtown Seattle. The smell of popcorn, the allure of candies of all types...the lunch counter....and all the STUFF a boy could want to poke through.

I miss all that.

I completely forgot about Frederick and Nelson’s. They were right up there with Nordstrom’s at the time. Yep, the old lunch counters, and candy and ice cream. F&Ns had some really nice eating areas

Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w20
Mobil 1 M108A EP filter

#4634028 - 01/13/18 09:09 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: car51]
ammolab Offline

Loc: Ruidoso, NM USA
My Unkle worked at Wanamaker's in Wilmington and Philly. Americas first dept store.
1994 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L
2016 Chevy SS Sport Sedan

#4634049 - 01/13/18 09:28 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: car51]
Snagglefoot Offline

Loc: SE British Columbia, Canada
Up here it’s The Bay, It originated with the Hudson’s Bay fur trading company and morphed into a department store. The company is now 350 years old. Somewhat upscale without being too fancy or expensive.

SF

#4634121 - 01/13/18 11:27 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: car51]
aquariuscsm Online   content

Loc: Dallas,Tx USA
When I was a kid,a few I remember are TG&Y,Woolworth/Woolco,Winn's,Ben Franklin,Gibson's,and of course the S&H Greenstamps store.
1996 Nissan 300ZX 5-speed,Arctic Pearl(#175 of 300)
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 10W30
2012 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L 2.4,auto,San Marino Red
Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W30

#4634140 - 01/13/18 11:55 PM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: car51]
Nyogtha Offline

Loc: San Antonio, TX
The national downtown department stores I remember were Woolworth and Kress. Local high end downtown department store was Litchenstein's.

First discount stores I remember were Woolco (from Woolworth) and Gibson's. Later came KMart (from Kress), then later after that Wal-Mart, then even later Target.

Five & dime were Winn's & Ben Franklin.

After a major hurricane in 1970 downtown where I grew up really declined, and malls and strip centers in the residential areas along major traffic arteries took off. By the time I was in High School, going downtown after dark approached going to Mos Eisley space port. "A more wretched hive of scum and villiany . . ."

Edited by Nyogtha (01/13/18 11:56 PM)

#4634183 - 01/14/18 02:37 AM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: andrewg]
JHZR2 Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: andrewg

I miss all that.

Woolworths was always essentially a junk store in my time, growing up in the 80s/90s. Water pistols and blank cassette tapes, sure. Not much high value stuff worth buying.

I do recall when sears still had a candy and nut stand. So much of that stuff was just dying off in my time, replaced by target for those who wish to feel fancy, and Walmart for the unwashed masses.

#4634187 - 01/14/18 02:57 AM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: Snagglefoot]
Garak Offline

Loc: Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Up here it’s The Bay, It originated with the Hudson’s Bay fur trading company and morphed into a department store. The company is now 350 years old. Somewhat upscale without being too fancy or expensive.

The one here isn't quite the same, at least in my rose tinted memory, as it was when it was on its own rather than in the mall. I remember Eaton's used to be another good one for some upscale items, and lots of nice stuff at Christmas.

I don't know if you remember Robinsons, or even had that in Alberta.

2008 Infiniti G37 - Shell ROTELLA T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30, NAPA Gold 7356
1984 F-150 4.9L - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515

#4634234 - 01/14/18 06:22 AM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: PimTac]
Char Baby Offline

Loc: ROCHESTER, NY
[/quote] Ah yes....The Bon Marche'. Remember Frederick & Nelson's? Both were great stores. And yes, Woolworth's was a fantastic old department store. As a kid I absolutely loved going into Woolworth's in downtown Seattle. The smell of popcorn, the allure of candies of all types...the lunch counter....and all the STUFF a boy could want to poke through. I miss all that. [/quote]

Yep, the old lunch counters, and candy and ice cream. F&Ns had some really nice eating areas [/quote]

WOW, does this bring back memories. I too remember these shopping plaza stores. Even our Penny's(and other local to our area dept stores) were at an outside Plaza. Altier's Shoes, Woolworth's, a local diner, a small grocery store and even Western Auto. And several Five & Dime stores.

Penny's had their own bakery in the back and the store had actual sales personal selling and fitting people for shoes and in the clothing section where one could be fitted for their dress or suit.

Today we still have these plaza's in their same location however, the stores are fly-by-night(in today/gone tomorrow) and so many sections are just vacant. Now there is just a Dollar Store and maybe a STAPLES or similar store.
'80 Firebird FORMULA V8/4bbl-purchased "NEW"
'15 Nissan Altima 2.5 SV
'15 Honda Civic LX(17K)

#4634565 - 01/14/18 11:33 AM Re: Great department stores that are still around [Re: Char Baby]
andrewg Offline

Loc: Buckley, Wa.
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
[/quote] Ah yes....The Bon Marche'. Remember Frederick & Nelson's? Both were great stores. And yes, Woolworth's was a fantastic old department store. As a kid I absolutely loved going into Woolworth's in downtown Seattle. The smell of popcorn, the allure of candies of all types...the lunch counter....and all the STUFF a boy could want to poke through. I miss all that.

Yep, the old lunch counters, and candy and ice cream. F&Ns had some really nice eating areas [/quote]

WOW, does this bring back memories. I too remember these shopping plaza stores. Even our Penny's(and other local to our area dept stores) were at an outside Plaza. Altier's Shoes, Woolworth's, a local diner, a small grocery store and even Western Auto. And several Five & Dime stores.

Penny's had their own bakery in the back and the store had actual sales personal selling and fitting people for shoes and in the clothing section where one could be fitted for their dress or suit.

Today we still have these plaza's in their same location however, the stores are fly-by-night(in today/gone tomorrow) and so many sections are just vacant. Now there is just a Dollar Store and maybe a STAPLES or similar store.

[/quote]
Yep...exactly! The horrid "Dollar Store". No personality or history in those types of places.
2017 Arima Sea Ranger HT 21'
2017 Vespa Sprint S 150

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >