Considering buying a Franz Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over 1,000,000 miles with only one oil change and No measurable internal wear using a bypass oil filter!

See http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/1%2c000%2c000%20MILES.htm

With a testimonial like that, I would have high expectations.

Originally Posted By: jacobs
Over 1,000,000 miles with only one oil change and No measurable internal wear using a bypass oil filter!

See http://www.gulfcoastfilters.com/1%2c000%2c000%20MILES.htm

With a testimonial like that, I would have high expectations.

Whooo! 1 Million miles. That is amazing. I do not expect my vehicle to come close to that (nor would I want to drive the same all that time... variety is nice). What I do want is quality of life for the engine... meaning low oil consumption, no blue smoke at start up, etc.

I bought an used Franz filter. I will need a new base gasket. I looked on the Franz site, and they sell them in packs of 10. I am not really interested in having that many unless they do not last long. Is there another source of gaskets anyone is aware of?

Originally Posted By: DeafBrad
I bought an used Franz filter. I will need a new base gasket. I looked on the Franz site, and they sell them in packs of 10. I am not really interested in having that many unless they do not last long. Is there another source of gaskets anyone is aware of?

Is the o-ring style or is it the square o-ring?
The old o-ring style doesn't last very long.

I buy mine from McMaster Carr. I believe their minimum is about 25 BUT they're a lot cheaper.

I buy mine from McMaster Carr. I believe their minimum is about 25 BUT they're a lot cheaper.

I don't have it yet. Looking at the pictures I am pretty sure it has a square o ring.

I don't have it yet. Looking at the pictures I am pretty sure it has a square o ring.

You might want to give Ed Greany an email, he sells the seals for a reasonable price. I bought a 10 pack off him for 10 USD and I have only used 1 so far as they never seem to leak. His email is: [email protected]

I'm a big Frantz fan, but what about Trasko? I have been interested in them a long time but don't need to make trouble where there was no trouble by using one. It threads right on, done. I can't quite understand their logic about how it works. Being designed by, or with help from Subaru, is a good plus for them. No one has used them here?

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I'm a big Frantz fan, but what about Trasko? I have been interested in them a long time but don't need to make trouble where there was no trouble by using one. It threads right on, done. I can't quite understand their logic about how it works. Being designed by, or with help from Subaru, is a good plus for them. No one has used them here?

Huh! That is new to me. That would be easier to set up as no plumbing of a separate bypass filter. And the price is cheap if it is in USD. Anyone have experience with this?

Originally Posted By: A310

You might want to give Ed Greany an email, he sells the seals for a reasonable price. I bought a 10 pack off him for 10 USD and I have only used 1 so far as they never seem to leak. His email is: [email protected]

Hi A310, thanks for the information. Since you have more than you need... would you be willing to sell me a couple gaskets? I could stick some money in an envelope to you or paypal.

Originally Posted By: A310
Just pm me your address and I'll ship you 3 seals.:)

Thanks kind Sir!
smile.gif
pm sent.

Hi Everyone,

I am needing some people to school me on the Franz filter. Since I am getting a used unit, I do not have the advantage of instructions.

1. It doesn't matter which way you orient the filter, correct? (upside down, right side up, sideways, etc.) Is there a best way to orient it?
2. What kind of fittings are used on the Franz? The used unit I am getting has the fittings in the housing, but not the female hose fitting. I suspect I need the right kind of female fitting so it will not leak.
3. Is there a restriction like an orifice somewhere into the unit? If so, where is it at as I want to be sure it is in it. I imagine the check engine light will come on if the Franz is bleeding off too much oil.

Thanks for your time,

Brad

Hi Everyone,

I am needing some people to school me on the Franz filter. Since I am getting a used unit, I do not have the advantage of instructions.

1. It doesn't matter which way you orient the filter, correct? (upside down, right side up, sideways, etc.) Is there a best way to orient it?
2. What kind of fittings are used on the Franz? The used unit I am getting has the fittings in the housing, but not the female hose fitting. I suspect I need the right kind of female fitting so it will not leak.
3. Is there a restriction like an orifice somewhere into the unit? If so, where is it at as I want to be sure it is in it. I imagine the check engine light will come on if the Franz is bleeding off too much oil.

Thanks for your time,

Brad

It's best to orient it right side up so the oil will drain out overnight making filter changes much less messy but you can mount it any way you want.

Push-Loc fittings was originally used. You'll also need appropriate size hose, also available from McMaster-Carr or possibly your local auto parts dealer.

As I recall, there was a built in 1/16" restriction used on the outlet side but location doesn't matter.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your time,

Brad

It's best to orient it right side up so the oil will drain out overnight making filter changes much less messy but you can mount it any way you want.

Push-Loc fittings was originally used. You'll also need appropriate size hose, also available from McMaster-Carr or possibly your local auto parts dealer.

As I recall, there was a built in 1/16" restriction used on the outlet side but location doesn't matter.

Thanks for your replies. The appropriate size hose would be 1/4" inside diameter. right? So the restriction is built in to the housing?

I looked up McMaster-Carr the other day. NICE!

Hi Everyone! I got the used Franz filter today. It even came in it's original box. I don't know how old it is but the box is ancient. Nothing to wear out on these things. I should have no problem moving from vehicle to vehicle in the years to come.

I by figuring out a place to mount it. Turns out there is less room in the Dodge Caravan engine bay than I was thinking. I wanted to mount it topside, but that wasn't going to work. I finally found a good place to mount it which happens to be near the engine oil filter and oil pressure sensor. I got the bracket mounted good and solid.

Step 2 will be going to the store to buy the fittings and hose I need. hopefully I can round up everything I need locally.

Once you get the Frantz mounted and have run your engine for a few days, open up the hood and check the tightness of the ring clamp bolt. Some times when the weather gets real cold the ring clamp can get a little loose (happened on 2 of my Frantz units - the rest stay clamped down good). Just another re-tightening and I did not have any further problems. Other than that, those Frantz filters have held up well for me on my work trucks and engines on my power equipment. Like A310, I use Kirkland TP or the Scott's individual rolls. I also use Viton O-rings I got from a hydraulic fitting shop on the center sleeve to keep the TP nice and snug. I also have one Frantz Oil Refiner, which is the latest version of the Frantz Filter mounted on one of my trucks. I got it from Ed Greany who A310 mentioned. It is a slightly modified version of the original Frantz filter but it works the same way. The Frantz Filters are good, sturdy - long life units.

Originally Posted By: xtell
Once you get the Frantz mounted and have run your engine for a few days, open up the hood and check the tightness of the ring clamp bolt. Some times when the weather gets real cold the ring clamp can get a little loose (happened on 2 of my Frantz units - the rest stay clamped down good). Just another re-tightening and I did not have any further problems. Other than that, those Frantz filters have held up well for me on my work trucks and engines on my power equipment. Like A310, I use Kirkland TP or the Scott's individual rolls. I also use Viton O-rings I got from a hydraulic fitting shop on the center sleeve to keep the TP nice and snug. I also have one Frantz Oil Refiner, which is the latest version of the Frantz Filter mounted on one of my trucks. I got it from Ed Greany who A310 mentioned. It is a slightly modified version of the original Frantz filter but it works the same way. The Frantz Filters are good, sturdy - long life units.

My unit's band doesn't have an adjustment. That must be the updated one? I bought my fittings today... it was around $60 dollars for everything! Much higher than I was expecting. Now I need several more things, and then I am ready to install it.

What are the benefits you have noticed with using the Franz on your fleet? How long to you leave the oil in the engine before draining it?

Thanks for your information.

You must have one of the earlier models that has the compression ring with the "lever" on it where you just push it closed and put in a pin to lock it in place. All of the Frantz Filters that I have came with a bolt/knob set up where you can just tighten the strap down by screwing the the knob tight. I have not done any oil analysis (send a sample to Blackstone) on my equipment that has bypass filters installed. I read some documents from commercial trucking companies and off road construction equipment operators, that showed that installing a bypass system on equipment kept the amount of particle counts down/ oil cleaner versus a full flow filtration system. Some of my trucks and construction equipment are considered "antiques" by other contractors that I interact with on job sites. They can's figure out how I can keep this old equipment running so good, while they keep having issues with their "newer" equipment. I definitely feel that the Frantz filters have kept the oil clean reducing the wear particles circulating and causing problems. Running Synthetic, I've gone 350 hours on construction equipment before a complete oil change (but I'm changing out the TP rolls and adding a quart of oil several times during that time frame). I change the oil in the trucks around 8,0000 to 10,000 miles - changing the full flow and Frantz at the same time. Last summer, I went to Costco and bought a big package of Kirkland TP and when I got home I just walked around changing out the filters and adding a quart of oil on all the Frantz filters I have installed. I also have remote filters installed on all power steering and automatic transmissions. Those are just regular full flow oil filters. Heck, if it has a fluid line - slap a filter on it.

Nuff said,

xtell

Before you mount up the bypass filter, send off an oil sample to get a baseline analysis. I didn't think about doing that with my Dodge before I installed my GCF O-1, and I'm kind of kicking myself for not doing it. It's not a big deal, but it's the only way you'll be able to really quantify the before/after performance.

You're going to want to do periodic oil sampling if you go with longer drain intervals, so a baseline sample is just one more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back