15K oil change on Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey long time lurker, first time poster here. I have a 2011 Toyota Matrix with the 1.8L. It has 45k miles on it, and we put about 15k on it a year. I'm wanting to change the oil once a year, but I've never stretched out an oil change that far before. The Amsoil SS line says good for 25k, so would I be pretty safe running it 15k in a healthy engine? Not really wanting to get a UOA done if I don't need to. I'm thinking this engine is pretty easy on oil...what say you?

I'm currently using Pennzoil synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter, changing at 5k...which I know is a bit of a waste. I use Amsoil in my motorcycles and really like it, but I've never used their pcmo line. It's time to order some more so I thought I might give it a try. It would be close to twice the price of the Pennzoil, but if I go more than twice as far then I'd be happy.

Amsoil best SS oil with a Fram Ultra oil filter for 15k miles/1year would be fine on that low mileage engine. I routinely drive 10k miles on store-bought synthetics such as M1 0W-20 or M1 HM 10W-30 and a Fram Ultra or other longlife oil filter. Years ago I drove 20k miles/1year on Amsoil's best oils. Cars lasted 300k miles+ with powertrain still in decent shape.

Originally Posted By: Oscar1
Hey long time lurker, first time poster here. I have a 2011 Toyota Matrix with the 1.8L. It has 45k miles on it, and we put about 15k on it a year. I'm wanting to change the oil once a year, but I've never stretched out an oil change that far before. The Amsoil SS line says good for 25k, so would I be pretty safe running it 15k in a healthy engine? Not really wanting to get a UOA done if I don't need to. I'm thinking this engine is pretty easy on oil...what say you?

I say you're good to go and sleep peaceably, but I'm nobody. I've run Amsoil SS 5W30 out to 37K, but I have bypass filtration. My two cents worth is also that you're trying to cheap out on it by NOT being willing to spring for a UOA. I've done UOA since 2010 and I'm willing to wager that neither Alan bender (at Amsoil testing) nor Ryan Stark (at Blackstone) is going to encourage you to go beyond manufacturer's recommendations WITHOUT supporting UOA. You don't need to do UOA on a constant basis, but you sound like you're trying to set precedent.

Unless you find another BITOG poster that has your same (or very similar) engine and vehicle AND driving habits with similar mileage and engine condition (that has already done it), you just need to pony up and set your own precedent. Everyone's situation is unique. Good Luck! (no sarcasm meant); I CAN tell you that I've pushed Amsoil SS series far beyond 15K.

Not knocking AMSOIL products at all, but for convenience sake why not run Mobil 1 EP and a Fram Ultra filter, both are available at Walmart. If you wanted some extra margin you could go with Mobil 1 Annual Protection and a Fram Ultra filter. The M1 AP and Fram Ultra would make a matching pair designed around 20,000 mile oil changes. Skip the Mobil 1 filter as it's not as good as the Fram in my opinion.

However like stated by others extended oil changes are best accomplished with prudent measurements using a used oil analysis at increasing intervals to verify the viability of that extended change in your vehicle with your driving habits and your choice of oil and filter. The way I look at it it is a lot like reloading ammunition you always start low and work up and never trust someone else's guidelines. Especially not those posted on the internet.

Originally Posted By: Ihatetochangeoil

I say you're good to go and sleep peaceably, but I'm nobody. I've run Amsoil SS 5W30 out to 37K, but I have bypass filtration. My two cents worth is also that you're trying to cheap out on it by NOT being willing to spring for a UOA. I've done UOA since 2010 and I'm willing to wager that neither Alan bender (at Amsoil testing) nor Ryan Stark (at Blackstone) is going to encourage you to go beyond manufacturer's recommendations WITHOUT supporting UOA. You don't need to do UOA on a constant basis, but you sound like you're trying to set precedent.

Unless you find another BITOG poster that has your same (or very similar) engine and vehicle AND driving habits with similar mileage and engine condition (that has already done it), you just need to pony up and set your own precedent. Everyone's situation is unique. Good Luck! (no sarcasm meant); I CAN tell you that I've pushed Amsoil SS series far beyond 15K.

Thanks, that's probably good advice to just go ahead and get a UOA. How far do I go before I sample it the first time? Go the full 15k or try and get a little bit out before then?

You should do a UOA the first time at 7500. If good to go then go to 15K and do another UOA. Assuming no issues with UOA, you are good to go to 15K for future OCI.

NAPA UOA is only $16.00 with TBN which you need.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Not knocking AMSOIL products at all, but for convenience sake why not run Mobil 1 EP and a Fram Ultra filter, both are available at Walmart. If you wanted some extra margin you could go with Mobil 1 Annual Protection and a Fram Ultra filter. The M1 AP and Fram Ultra would make a matching pair designed around 20,000 mile oil changes. Skip the Mobil 1 filter as it's not as good as the Fram in my opinion.

However like stated by others extended oil changes are best accomplished with prudent measurements using a used oil analysis at increasing intervals to verify the viability of that extended change in your vehicle with your driving habits and your choice of oil and filter. The way I look at it it is a lot like reloading ammunition you always start low and work up and never trust someone else's guidelines. Especially not those posted on the internet.

That's not a bad option. The reason I was thinking Amsoil is because I already order some once a year or so for my motorcycles, so it really wouldn't be much of a hassle. I think I will go ahead and do a UOA on whatever oil/interval I decide on, just need to figure out when to do it.

Originally Posted By: Donald
You should do a UOA the first time at 7500. If good to go then go to 15K and do another UOA. Assuming no issues with UOA, you are good to go to 15K for future OCI.

NAPA UOA is only $16.00 with TBN which you need.

Ok thanks for that, that sounds like good plan. I wasn't aware NAPA had the sample kits, that will make it that much easier!

I would run whatever extended drain oil you're planning to use to 7500 miles. Use a sample pump to sample in service, no need to change the oil. Mail in the sample get the results. If good, wear metals in check, good TBN, push it out accordingly. When I was working up to 15,000 miles on a Toyota with a Supercharger on Redline oil I sampled every 2,500 past 5,000 up to 15k which was the limit for me. So I did 5,7.5,10,12.5,15k then just to keep tabs on things I sampled every other oil change to keep an eye on things.

You just need the data to confirm you're not over running the oil. Also with extended drains keep an eye on oil level, add top off as needed.

I'm currently using Pennzoil synthetic and a Fram Ultra filter, changing at 5k.

This combo is fine for 15K for many drivers.

If you're using the signature you should be fine.

However in the cheaper XL line at around 14000-15000 km (not miles), the old formulation XL is almost beat, I UOA test it and get a 1.2-1.5 TBN, but that's in my 5.7 hemi. And it sees severe service, so thats pretty good.

Toyota v6s recomend 0w20 synthetic for 10k miles right from the book. My 14 sienna does this so its not new.

This is any synthetic oil that mets dexos gen 1. Gen 2 is now out which should be better.

Any of these from Walmart would work fine at that interval. Maybe do a uoa at 10k. You should be happy.

Thanks for all the replies. This will be the first time I've went past 5k on an oil change, so just wanted a little peace of mind. I have quite a few things around here to maintain, so just trying to lessen the burden just a bit. I ordered the Amsoil so I will try it first, maybe pulling a sample somewhere between 7.5-10k to see how it's doing, and leaving it in if everything seems fine. I'll report back with my results!

Did you order an Amsoil filter?
You will need a good one to go one year/15k.
If you didn't order the Amsoil filter, a Fram Ultra should be fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back