holding company buys red line oil corp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
we see people flocking to red line even more then ever.here in Denver the high performance and lux brands carry it I the shops more then ever.its unbelieveable!!
You're starting to sound like those people who post all over the internet about their make thousands at home schemes.

Originally Posted By: Hib_Halverson
Since 1990 and up until Red Line was sold late last summer, I worked with Red Line on long-term testing of its products in the engines, transmissions and rear axles of road vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Hib_Halverson
Latest news on the Red Line Oil brand is that Dominus Capital sold the Spectrum Corporation to Phillips 66 in the Summer of 2014.

Do you know who is doing the long-term testing work now, Hib? Is Phillips doing it now, or is that done at the Spectrum level, or is it still done out of California/Red Line, or...?

Sorry, but I have not been back to this thread for a very long time.

Between the time that Dominus sold Spectrum/Red Line to ConocoPhillips in the summer of '14 and late 2017, Red Line had been doing some testing and product development. Most of that was done at Red Line's facility in Benicia CA. In the last few years its released some new engine oil products along with a really good high-performance brake fluid.

Cameron Evans left Red Line last Fall and was replaced, as Red Line's President, by Michael Andrew. Also former Red LIne VP, minority owner and Chief Chemist, Roy Howell, was brought back by Conoco Phillips on a contract basis as Chief Chemist to revise some existing products and develop some new ones.

My guess is that Howell will have a lot of work to do. Red Line's competitors, such as Driven Racing Oil, Brad Penn, Amzoil and so forth have taken advantage of the fact that Red Line had struggled a bit during the mid-2010s. Hopefully, the changes ConocoPhillips has made in the company's management will get Red Line back on track.

My understanding is that Red Line's existing product line will remain pretty much the same other than some products getting updated formulations.

It used to be, at least in my thinking, say, ten years ago that Red Line was about the best synthetic lubricant line out there regardless of price. Nowadays there are other really good choices such as Driven Racing Oil's line of mPAO-based engine oils and gear lubricants. A product I've particularly grown to like is Driven LS30 5W30 engine oil.

Driven announced at SEMA and PRI that it was going to come to market this coming Spring with a line of engine oils formulated especially for gasoline direct injected (GDI) engines. As soon as I can get some of the new DI30 5W30, I'm going to try it in the 3.6L V6 in my 2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2.

Last edited:
My best memory of Redline was when I was invited by a supplier to the great game six of the 1986 world series, first row above the dugout, and had to decline because of a dinner date with Tim Kerrigan, Redline's owner, and Roy Howell, their new Technical Director, out in California. We managed to see some of the game on the TV in the restaurant. They were a great customer so I did not hold it against them.
55.gif

Always respected Redline's dedication to performance over cost. When I developed higher performance polyol esters, they just wanted to see the data and get samples without even asking about the price. They were in a class of their own at the time. Hope that formulating philosophy still prevails.

Tom NJ/VA

Sounds to me it was in fact Family owned, the company I work for it set up like that, President owns the majority, Vice President co-owner no relation, I totally view it as family owned, being ill maybe an exaggeration but plausible.
TOTO.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ
My best memory of Redline was when I was invited by a supplier to the HORRIFYING game six of the 1986 world series, first row above the dugout, and had to decline because of a dinner date with Tim Kerrigan, Redline's owner, and Roy Howell, their new Technical Director, out in California. We managed to see some of the game on the TV in the restaurant. They were a great customer so I did not hold it against them.
55.gif

Always respected Redline's dedication to performance over cost. When I developed higher performance polyol esters, they just wanted to see the data and get samples without even asking about the price. They were in a class of their own at the time. Hope that formulating philosophy still prevails.

Tom NJ/VA

FIFY... ;^)
I actually get along really well with most Mets fans, actually had a guy in a bar in Soho express his regrets that the Mets had to face the Bosox in the '86 WS...he was still ecstatic about the win, but would have preferred it be over any other AL team (Yanks would have been the best choice in his opinion).
To be honest, some of the best ballpark discussions I've had have been with Yanks fans, in Boston and NYC. A few bad apples spoil the barrel on both sides, the stupid "Yankees Suck" chants drive me nuts and really just reek of an also-ran approach to life.

Also, thanks to Hib for bringing the Driven GDI oils to my attention, I will take a peek at those for sure.

Last edited:
never bought RedLine off the shelf, but mail order always works, only a "click"away" + shopping for a better delivered price is best IMO

Originally Posted By: ted s
at 15 buck a quart they can keep it

For Engine oil that's changed out "frequently" I'd skip em but for Trans and Diff fluids they are on my top 3 list for my Camaro. For my Jeep heh it gets cheapest rated fluid on the shelf.

Last edited:
Some people pay North of $100 for a 'high end' oil change, with like Mobil one or Castrol Edge and no question I'd rather pay that for ~6 quarts of Redline any day of the week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back