Suggestion for a good brake drum?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't seem to find a good set of drums these days. My truck had centric drums and within a week they were warped. My mothers car, 2000 buick century, got a set from Auto plus, house brand, and the first set were warped the first day, I mean bad. Second set warped in a week, all brake components are new back there and it's properly adjusted.

What brand of drums can some of you recommend? I'd get these drums turned but I'm afraid it might just happen again.

In the Buffalo area, I've used Napa and CarQuest drums without issue. I don't recall what specific "brand" they were though. It's been awhile since I've owned or worked on a car with rear drums.

In my experience, OEM from GM. Same thoughts on brake pads as well.

Good to know, I'll check prices and hopefully it will be the end to my issues. Thanks guys

If you can convert to rear discs, that might be the better option, depending on how easy or difficult is for your Century.

What he said ^^^^

Since rear brake pads for a 2000 Buick Century are available on eBay in disc brake style; https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=wh...ds&_sacat=0

I'm willing to bet it's a bolt up parts swap if you'd like to upgrade to disc brakes. Do as you wish; my two cents worth is I'd spend a Saturday morning at a salvage yard and buy one side of cheap junk parts just to see if they will mate up and bolt on. Once you know the answer, buy new parts with confidence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JTK
In the Buffalo area, I've used Napa and CarQuest drums without issue. I don't recall what specific "brand" they were though. It's been awhile since I've owned or worked on a car with rear drums.

They used Raybestos for a while, but I don't know if they still use Raybestos.

I have had good luck with Centric drums and rotors.
Are you sure your not adjusting the shoes to far out? It will heat up the drums and cause warping like you are describing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back