w116 300sd Mercedes (1979) Tires 205-70-14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Own a 1979 300sd (w116) Mercedes and need tires.

Yesterday I drove to my local Costco Tire Center and found out that they only carry a BG Goodrich for my car.
I also found out that the tire comes with only a road hazard warranty, NO TIRE TREAD WARRANTY.
My last tires were Michelins (from Costco) and came with a 85k mile tread warranty.

I made a decision to look elsewhere.
Looking for 4 solid tires (205-70-14) for my 1979 300sd.

If anyone out there knows of any discounts going around please let me know.
I don't mind purchasing tires online.

Any recommendation is greatly appreciated

Last edited:
I would look at The Tire Rack and discount tire direct(DTD), tirebuyer, etc. and see if there are any in your size. This used to be a popular size on many american midsize cars in the 80's & 90's such as the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable, Chevy Celebrity, Olds Cutlass Ciera, Pontiac 6000 as their standard size tire before moving up to...

...BUT WAIT; Yeah, 15" tires!

EDIT:

Just a quick look at discount tire direct found General AltiMAX RT43 "T" for $67.90/ea & FREE shipping. The Tire Rack shows the same RT43 in "T" for the same price PLUS Shipping.
The RT43 are held in high regard here at BITOG and a personal recommendation of mine as I have owned them and recommended them as well to friends/family.

Last edited:
Is that the original size? My w123 took tiny 175R14s for example.

If you can fit a 195-70R14 there are zillions of options.

I can understand your desire for a tread warranty as you surely have a heavy car that could burn through these tires faster than average.

If you can wait until President's day you should be able to get a set of Hankook H724s for $100 or so from discount tire direct. I have these on my 300D, ableit in the non-stock 185/75/14 size. They ride wonderfully but squeal in modest corners. It makes a slow car feel fast.
laugh.gif

Is this a daily driver? Can you wait? What level of performance do you want?

There's nothing wrong with the BF Goodrichs. And Costco nationwide service is great. But, you can go to TiresEasy and order, or a lot of other sites. And America's Tire will mount and balance for free (around here anyway). SO lots of options. Big O has options too
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Gito
Looking for 4 solid tires (205-70-14) for my 1979 300sd.

Not seeing any solid ones in that size.
smile.gif

Would you consider buying a wheel/tire combo and going to a 215/65/15?

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Would you consider buying a wheel/tire combo and going to a 215/65/15?

Only other wheels that I would purchase and install would be the 15 inch Bundts from the Mercedes Classic Center.
$500 a piece. Not an option for me at this time.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Is that the original size? My w123 took tiny 175R14s for example.

If you can fit a 195-70R14 there are zillions of options.

I can understand your desire for a tread warranty as you surely have a heavy car that could burn through these tires faster than average.

If you can wait until President's day you should be able to get a set of Hankook H724s for $100 or so from discount tire direct. I have these on my 300D, ableit in the non-stock 185/75/14 size. They ride wonderfully but squeal in modest corners. It makes a slow car feel fast.
laugh.gif

Is this a daily driver? Can you wait? What level of performance do you want?

I can wait. The car is my daily driver

I would wait as the benefit & overall satisfaction in the end will be worth it regardless where you buy(local or online)!

As myself and slacktide_bitog mentioned, the General AltiMAX RT43 are available and in your size at a good price and highly recommended.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back