Dexos2 0/5w-40 but not in N/A

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZjeff

$50 Site Donor 2023
I was having a conversation with one of our Oz oil experts about alternative oil for my GM DI/AFM 4.3 and he recommended Mobil 1 ESP 0w-40 with the Dexos2 certification. ESP 0W-40 After some searching I realized the only Dexos2 oil available in North America is 5W-30 AC/Delco and Raloy Lubricantes, S.A. de C.V. (?) . The rest of the world gets 5W-40 and 0W-40 Dexos2 oil in various brands. What's up with that? Also GM calls Dexos2 diesel oil but the rest of the world calls it diesel or gas engine oil.

Valvoline Synpower MST 5w40 is dexos2
smile.gif

Here is the PDS

Yeah it seems like GM Australia are happy for Dexos2 oils to be used in "high performance" gas/petrol applications, as well as diesel engines.

The GM Cruze with 1.4 or 1.6 iTi turbo is quite hard on oil, and GM Australia say to use the high HTHS Dexos2 (not the low HTHS Dexos1).

Dexos2 is very similar to a Euro ACEA C3 mid-SAPS oil, which is what most of Europe now run in both gas/petrol cars and light duty diesel cars.

I know a local garage that only stocks a full synthetic Dexos2 oil as one of it's bulk fill. This oil is also API SN and ACEA C3, so it can go in a lot of cars (gas & diesel) and more than a Dexos1 oil (which it's doesn't stock).

Here you go, Castrol Magnatec Diesel DX 5W-40 (PDF Link)

They say diesel in the title, but read the product sheet and it says "suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines". It's a full synthetic API SN, ACEA C3 and GM Dexos2 oil.

Originally Posted By: SR5
Here you go, Castrol Magnatec Diesel DX 5W-40 (PDF Link)

They say diesel in the title, but read the product sheet and it says "suitable for use in automotive gasoline and diesel engines". It's a full synthetic API SN, ACEA C3 and GM Dexos2 oil.

We can't get that here.

The Valvoline 5W-40 MST doesn't have the Dexos2 cert in the states either. NAPA has it on sale for $5.49 if you reserve online.

It doesn't look like there are any -40 wt Dexos2 cert oils in North America.

Want to start a black market pipeline ?

I can fix you up...unfortunately at Oz' prices, which are scary.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

We can't get that here.

Shhhhhhh................I'll slip you one under the table.
1425387187572_1.jpg

The Valvoline 5W-40 MST doesn't have the Dexos2 cert in the states either. NAPA has it on sale for $5.49 if you reserve online.

Yes it does
smile.gif

The MST 5w40 license number is GB2E0511103 and it says Global in GM's official dexos2 approved list

Here is Valvoline's US-specifric PDS that was just updated on Thursday and includes that same license number

Amalie 5w40 also appears on the dexos2 approval list, and CQ oil is Amalie.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

Yes it does
smile.gif

The MST 5w40 license number is GB2E0511103 and it says Global in GM's official dexos2 approved list

Here is Valvoline's US-specifric PDS that was just updated on Thursday and includes that same license number

Amalie 5w40 also appears on the dexos2 approval list, and CQ oil is Amalie.

Thanks. I had the impression that on the official Dexos approved list global means everywhere but North America and if it's available in the states it's specified North America. The US Valvoline doc is the closest thing to admitting a -40 wt Dexos oil here. The logo isn't on the bottles yet, the Synpower labeled oil is on clearance here and there.

Use Valvoline 5W40MST in my dad's Mitsubishi Diesel Triton Ute. Doesn't need DEXOS2, but the reduced ash content can only help limit intake carbon deposits. We've been really happy with it. Use MST 5W30 in the Petrol Outlander my mum drives. Once again doesn't call for low ash oil, but it's a quality product that is often on a reasonable sale locally in South Australia.

Regards
Jordan

Last edited:
The rest of the world gets 5W-40 and 0W-40 Dexos2 oil in various brands. What's up with that? Also GM calls Dexos2 diesel oil but the rest of the world calls it diesel or gas engine oil.

Not just CAFE, but the rest of the world get ULSG and different emissions tuning. Note that there are other dexos2 products available in North America, including Pennzoil Platinum Euro L you mentioned and Castrol 5w-30 C3/dexos2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back