Collision...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Evidently my tkt was due to be punched. First rear-end for the sled. I was stationary in traffic jam. Guy nailed me in rear pass. back corner, taking out the tall, vertical light cluster, scuffing up the bumper, bending the corner metal, and causing a mild inward bend in the rear quarter panel.

No one was hurt. Happened at maybe 30mph. He stopped & apologized. Has USAA insurance so we exchanged details. No police called...yet.

He suggested we move and I replied NO until all information was exchanged (and I'd cooled down). Geesh.....what a day. I hate surrounding Austin traffic...it's just insane.

Amazing how much damage was done to the front of his Honda though...must just be empty space in the front, driver, corner. He was able to drive.

Need some advice on how best to deal with insurance claim. Given the sled's age & mileage, they may argue. I also want a 4 wheel alignment included.

The sled has now endured three accidents, the second being the worse by far. All caused by someone else hitting me. The last two when I was at a dead stop! Not bad for 20yrs of driving the same car, but still...it's The Sled. She's served me well and still does.

Suggestions? Advice? Recommendations?

Should have called police at scene. When people left and called later for an accident report we told them too bad, so sad. So error #2. Error #1 was not removing the cars from the roadway immediately. Cops only need to see the accident scene on fatalities. They don’t care about the scene on property damage fender benders.

Good to hear your ok.

Very good chance the sled is totalled given Volvo doesn't make many parts for older models like yours (heck, it's already 20 years old!).

Time for a er or doctor visit, neck brace and a good lawyer. Make sure you hobble around complaining about back and hip pain.
lol.gif
JK

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Should have called police at scene. When people left and called later for an accident report we told them too bad, so sad. So error #2. Error #1 was not removing the cars from the roadway immediately. Cops only need to see the accident scene on fatalities. They don’t care about the scene on property damage fender benders.

What would be the point of not moving the cars and blocking traffic if you're not going to call the police so they can see the scene?

My wife was rear ended a few years ago. Exchanged info. Other driver said they'd pay out of pocket. My wife works for an attorney. He said to get a repair quote and send it through insurance. There was a lot more damage than it looked like. We didn't have any issues and the other insurance company paid the deductible and for a rental.

My wife had a 96 850 turbo wagon that, something like yours that we had purchased new. It had never been even scratched until the day she was run through a guardrail by a pickup truck on the freeway at about 70mph. The driver was cutting from the fast lane to the exit. It had just under 200K miles and was in perfect condition, never a problem. It was the last of the Volvo Volvos. She went through the guardrail and down a steep bank, airborne to the part of the freeway that went under the section she was on. The airbags went off and the car was totally destroyed but all the passenger doors opened and closed and the passenger compartment was almost untouched inside. The engine was torn out and a couple of wheels with their suspension were knocked off. That Volvo did its job. She took a ride to the ER but was released unhurt. Her only complaint was some muscle soreness in her legs from pushing on the brake pedal and the noise when the car hit something. She turned off the ignition and with the help of someone climbed out. Actually, there was no need to do that because the engine was across the street but we all are creatures of habit even hitting the brake pedal. Some of the front suspension was back on the freeway tangled up in the guardrail.

I hope you get your accident all sorted out. That kind of after the accident stuff is a real pain.

Glad to hear you are okay. That’s the important thing.

I’m guessing the insurance will total it. Sounds like it will be a job of working the numbers to see if it is viable. Some have mentioned here about buying the vehicle back.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
My wife had a 96 850 turbo wagon that, something like yours that we had purchased new. It had never been even scratched until the day she was run through a guardrail by a pickup truck on the freeway at about 70mph. The driver was cutting from the fast lane to the exit. It had just under 200K miles and was in perfect condition, never a problem. It was the last of the Volvo Volvos. She went through the guardrail and down a steep bank, airborne to the part of the freeway that went under the section she was on. The airbags went off and the car was totally destroyed but all the passenger doors opened and closed and the passenger compartment was almost untouched inside. The engine was torn out and a couple of wheels with their suspension were knocked off. That Volvo did its job. She took a ride to the ER but was released unhurt. Her only complaint was some muscle soreness in her legs from pushing on the brake pedal and the noise when the car hit something. She turned off the ignition and with the help of someone climbed out. Actually, there was no need to do that because the engine was across the street but we all are creatures of habit even hitting the brake pedal. Some of the front suspension was back on the freeway tangled up in the guardrail.

I hope you get your accident all sorted out. That kind of after the accident stuff is a real pain.

Wow. To walk away from an accident like that is terrific.

Sorry to hear about your poor car, and I'm glad you're not hurt. Modern vehicles can take a pounding and leave the occupants without a scratch.

Possibly could be totaled by insurance, but you may be able to keep it, especially if it is still structurally sound. This could be problematic for insurance coverage if it is listed as a salvage vehicle, depending on your provider. Could involve jumping through some hoops and hunting for a shop to repair it, or having to make repairs yourself. Contrary to what some people have said, parts for these cars are very readily available, whether aftermarket or from a salvage yard.

If it were my vehicle with that level of damage I would already be sourcing parts and looking up tips for disassembling the rear. (Assuming I wasn't in trouble for flipping out on the driver who hit me, because how on earth does one NOT SEE a Swedish brick with bright brake lights!?)
09.gif
lol.gif

ADVICE: Buy as much insurance coverage as you can afford. I have been rear ended 3x in NJ and anticipate it happening again. Last person that hit me was under insured.

Bummer. After being read ended two times I check the rear more than the front. Having said that. We were nearly killed last year when stopped on highway and tractor trailer swerved at avoid us. Had four ways going and were stopped for 15 seconds. You can only do so much! Glad you are ok

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

How do I immediately remove my car from the roadway and call police from the scene?

Doesn't make sense.

Further, why call from the scene if they don't care about property damage....at the accident scene.

You started with error #2, rather than error #1.

A bit mixed up.....

I spoke with APD and was informed to file a driver crash report with TxDOT. State rather than local. I'll do that.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Good to hear your ok.

Very good chance the sled is totalled given Volvo doesn't make many parts for older models like yours (heck, it's already 20 years old!).

The sled is indeed 20yrs old, given the factory roll-out date of Aug. 1997. However, parts are still widely available, from many sources.

The only part required in this case is the pass. rear tail-light cluster. She's very much still driveable. The front end collision, where someone in front backed up into me, was far worse a few years back. Even with that, still driveable. Which was a good thing, as I had a 65mi trip to get home, at night, with a single headlight.

Called his insurance on Mon. Turns out his name isn't on the insurance policy. Was asked a series of questions while being recorded. Evidently they use certain body shops as appraisers who have a look, take photos, then send all to them.

Quote was for about $1750.

On Tues., I received an email from my insurance co., stating "we have received your claim". I never 'filed a claim' nor called them. Evidently HIS/HER ins. co. called mine to file a claim.????? What's up with that?

I explained the other party was clearly at fault: I was stopped in traffic and hit by the other party.

Last time someone clipped me in traffic. We stopped and exchanged paperwork. I had my smart phone on me so I took lots of pictures of the car and the other car and the location in traffic. Took a year for it to finally settle. The insurance company just wanted to split it, but I pursued it for the full amount. It went to arbitration and they found in my favor. Guess having the pictures helped. Even took pictures of his registration, everything was very clear. It will probably be totaled out. I think over the years, I get about every couple of years so that eventually all my cars end up in a couple accidents. You just get used to it after a while.

It's probably totaled out and while it might be nice to get it fixed and to keep driving it, I'm glad I finally ditched my old car and got a new one. Newer cars have lots of newer tech that's way better than the old cars.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
This is why you always call the police.

He can claim you backed into him, and now his neck and back are forever destroyed.

I called APD. They don't show up to fender-benders, only fatalities as explained above. The police actually show up where you live, for a minor fender-bender? Really?

????
Physics doesn't lie. He's already admitted guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back