Got new tires and have some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to the good reviews, I bought General Altimax RT43 tires for the Accord. The old Kumho tires were at 3/32" tread and unfit for the winter. The Generals were available in H or T ratings and I ordered H since that's what my car specs. Just checked my tires today and the shop installed T's
frown.gif

How big of a deal is this? H tires are rated for 130 mph while T's are 118 mph. This car isn't going to see any speeds remotely close to those. I read H tires have better cornering performance but I think that's more important for a sports car, not a 16 yr old beater. The H's also have a shorter warranty -- 65 vs 75k.

Another issue is the alignment I had done. As a note, only toe is adjustable on this car (camber requires special aftermarket bolts). The back right tire's camber actually went OUT of spec after the alignment. I talked to the tech and he said sometimes when fixing the toe, the camber can get out of wack. He said he had to bring the toe into spec as to not prematurely wear the tire and slightly off camber isn't a big deal. Does this make sense to you guys?

Last edited:
Is there a price difference between the two ratings? What you got should be fine but the shop should credit you. Check your invoice / receipt carefully.

I’ll let a alignment expert answer the other part.

Well, as far as the tire go, the RT43 "T" speed rating score slightly higher than their "H" speed rated brother on both The Tire Rack & Consumer Reports and have slightly longer tread life to boot..IIRC!

Did you pay more for the "H" compared to the "T" rated tires?
Is this optimal?...Well, I often get "T" over the "H" when I can.
Should you turn back and get the proper speed rating or a refund? ...it's up to you!

I've had the RT43 in a "T" speed rating on a Lexus and loved'em!
––----------------------–------------
As far as the alignment, others will have to chime in on that one.

Last edited:
I bought my RT43 through Walmart and the prices were the same for T or H. My vehicle came with H so that is what is on my vehicle. I'm not an alignment expert but, have had some experience over 50+ years of vehicles. The "BEFORE" Measurements were acceptable for a daily driver as are the "After" alignment specs. I only question the right rear camber which may cause some uneven wear. Ed

I would bring the spec difference up and see what they say. Unlikely you'd ever see 118 anyway, but you ordered H, so you should get H ones or be made whole otherwise.
I think your alignment is fine but I'm not an expert by any means.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Never let a tire shop align your car.

Why?
35.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
How big of a deal is this? H tires are rated for 130 mph while T's are 118 mph. This car isn't going to see any speeds remotely close to those. I read H tires have better cornering performance but I think that's more important for a sports car, not a 16 yr old beater. The H's also have a shorter warranty -- 65 vs 75k.

Not a big deal. If I were in your shoes, I would go for the higher mileage warranty if it's truly for a beater. I wouldn't want to have to dump more money in to new tires earlier than necessary on it.

I went to the tire home page "General Tire" and plugged in my vehicle model, year etc and they recommended an H RT143 H which is the original tire spec. I see no reason the change that since I am not a tire expert. There probably has some safety margin with the H at the point of skidding which would not show up in a daily driver CU tire test. Using a T over a manufacture & tire company H commendation to save $10? I think not. Ed

Last edited:
They had the Ts in stock and wanted to make a sale. This often overrides anything else. If they said they could get you some H's tomorrow you might go to another dealer in the meantime.

As for the camber they could have ground out a strut hole a little but were too lazy. "Toe and go". That said if it drives fine, leave it. Your cross camber kinda cancels it out.

As for the speed rating if you feel fine, I feel fine.
cheers3.gif

If the car handles and rides OK, why mess with success? Just do my tires, so I can go. 4 tires mtd on new wheels etc. 1 3/4 hrs. Car drives fine, just like it did before.

well, at least you know a tire shop that's willing to install a speed rating lower than it came with
27.gif

(most tire shops don't like doing this for fear of getting sued)

However, the lower speed rating is probably not that important for your car and intended usage. Both versions of the RT43 are popular on here, and you will probably have no problems with them.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
They had the Ts in stock and wanted to make a sale. This often overrides anything else. If they said they could get you some H's tomorrow you might go to another dealer in the meantime.

01.gif

My alignment philosophy has evolved over the years. When starting with a new car, if it tracks straight and the tires wear relatively evenly I don't touch alignment when replacing tires. This might sound wacky, but I feel like once you loosen bolts to adjust the alignment it never holds like new again. If I have to replace any steering related components I consider alignment. I'm talking about tie rod ends or control arms. I would not get an alignment if replacing struts, ball joints, wheel bearings, or anti-roll bar bushings. The caveat there is that the car must still track straight and the tires should not be wearing unevenly.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Never let a tire shop align your car.

Must be a new BITOGism.......

If I ordered, and paid for H speed rated tires, and received T speed rated tires instead I would throw a fit. Bring it back and demand the proper speed rated tires for your car. I agree that H rated tires will be much less likely to blow out if under-inflated or driven at high-speed‘s for long time.

Tell the shop that your car specifies H rated tires and you will leave with nothing less.

My wife’s last three Hondas and Acuras have come with 149 mph rated tires. I had one shop try that nonsense with me. I demanded that they install the proper tires. She doesn’t do 149 mph, but she will do 100 mph for an hour on alligator Alley with no traffic at three in the morning.

The T rated tires will be fine but hopefully you didn't get overcharged. Tires are generally more tolerant of camber than toe. What vehicle is this on?

Last edited:
They matched Walmart's price for the H's at $68/tire, so cost isn't an issue. Part of me thinks the T's will be fine and wants to avoid going back. I already had to return once since a wheel weight fell off. But...you guys make some good points about H vs T ratings.

So does anyone know how adjusting the toe can also affect camber on a Honda?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
They matched Walmart's price for the H's at $68/tire, so cost isn't an issue. Part of me thinks the T's will be fine and wants to avoid going back. I already had to return once since a wheel weight fell off. But...you guys make some good points about H vs T ratings.

So does anyone know how adjusting the toe can also affect camber on a Honda?

The alignment is fine. It wasnt terribly bad before. As long as the tires wear evenly i wouldnt worry about it. Also the T rated tires are just fine for your Honda unless you run it above 100mph often...which is unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back