Cool old MACK semi

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my favorite semi; a MACK B Model.

Pretty neat that this one is still running in what looks like Australia
smile.gif

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=h1sqXcHR-tg

In love the look of the old Macks. I started out driving a Mack B61 of the same vintage in about 1971. It had a Mack duplex transmission, 2 sticks, one a primary and the other the auxiliary. It took a lot of practice to learn how to 'split' the gears. If you missed a gear in the process and with no synchronizers, you had to stop and start over. Very crude but good looking old trucks.

I have always had a soft spot for Mack trucks since I was a kid. The Dayton style wheels are a nostalgic thing to see, what with most wheels being very similar on most trucks today.

Reminds me of the semi body style in the 1981 Mad Max movie.

There's a heavy equipment junkyard on my way to work. They've had an old 6x6 red Mack that's been rotting for years.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
In love the look of the old Macks. I started out driving a Mack B61 of the same vintage in about 1971. It had a Mack duplex transmission, 2 sticks, one a primary and the other the auxiliary. It took a lot of practice to learn how to 'split' the gears. If you missed a gear in the process and with no synchronizers, you had to stop and start over. Very crude but good looking old trucks.
If I'm not mistaken, your could shift gears going in reverse with that setup. The one stick was your low/high/reverse and the other was your actual gears if I remember correctly. I drove one once many years ago and thought it was pretty cool!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back