Penetrating Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dlundblad

I've always had decent luck with PB Blaster, but is there anything out there that's better? I also wonder if mixing ATF at a ~25% ratio would help allow the penetrating oil to stay on the parts longer.

Yes, there is. In order, 1) Kroil and 2) Liquid Wrench 3) probably a host of others.

I did a test several years ago when restoring a neglected older Honda motorycle, and I had all three in the garage. I had about a dozen chassis bolts that were equally exposed to the elements. I soaked two each with Kroil, PB, and Liquid Wrench. I left them overnight and then tested how easily they broke free. I don't recall the torque values, but the pair that were Kroil'd were substantially easier than the pair that were soaked with Liquid Wrench, and the pair with PB substantially behind that. It was not a thoroughly scientific test, but it was consistent with my past experience. Since then (~c. 2005), I have stuck with Kroil with no regrets.

I know lots of people get good results with acetone + ATF. I've tried it and didn't find it better than kroil, and it didn't seem to penetrate as well. It also constantly separates and is difficult to apply in a lot of situations since it isn't in an aerosol container. I love home-brew solutions and if I needed a large amount of something I could just pour on instead of needing to shoot in various angles and tight/blind places, I'd likely use it.

Last month I picked up some Free All because it was basically free w/a coupon at O'Reillys. It has some great reviews and I'll give it a real work out on some rusty undercarriage work on an older car this winter. it's much more available and cheaper than Kroil and if it proves 95% as good, I will probably switch to it. This stuff:

http://www.freealloil.com/

https://www.amazon.com/Gasoila-Free-Rust-Eater-Penetrating/dp/B00CRKVNSE#customerReviews

Anyone use it?

I love Kroil.

Before seeing the light on spraying rusty bolts I would just sheer them off and be frustrated with the mess left...

Someone on the garage forum mentioned Kroil. This was several years ago. From that point on it's the ONLY thing I use for bolts. It works. Actually in the process of spraying my Ranger's bed bolts. I got 4 out of the 6 out. The front two were on there so rather than stripping the t55 torx bolt I have been spraying them with Kroil 3 times a day for about a week. Today when I get my new t55 bit, I will attempt to remove them and hope all is well with no stripped bolt or sheered bolt...lol

The smell of it is wonderful as well. Some people can't stand the smell...lol

-Nigel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back