Danika loses ride, finally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the NASCAR boyfriend was no longer doing any good. Dating a football player is more appropriate for her next career move.

Have no doubt she'll move up to famous musician next.

Wow. Like the subject, this thread just won’t go away. Are we desperate for some live racing or what?

I gotta give Danny credit for her off-track upgrades since Homestead. She hits the gym to sharpen up the abs six-pack and firm up the tush for a skimpy pictorial for her new lifestyle book then goes out and upgrades boyfriend in a major way. All the articles about her with AR also mention lots of PDAs so she stalked out her new man and bedded him. Good for her.

Meanwhile, no rides have emerged for Daytona or Indy. Do you think the owners have finally learned her sponsor money isn’t worth it?

Dannica is a fun subject. All I know about racing is when I was 17 years old I hung around older guys when riding motorcycles and watched and learned when they would do AFM racing and I would go to the races and watch them . I knew I could kick their proverbial behinds on the track with ease! In fact I know that any of the riders would shutter when they saw me. All the riders may as well scratch the heats I rode in, why would they want to Fail? Even Kenny Roberts would think twice about entering the track when I was there. One day I tried the track and surprise I was was no where near the boy racer I thought I was. Not even close, drat. I was well behind the last place finisher.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Meanwhile, no rides have emerged for Daytona or Indy. Do you think the owners have finally learned her sponsor money isn’t worth it?

Yes. Besides that, there are plenty of people with Super Licenses unemployed right now.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Saw this while surfing YouTube, and just couldn't resist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7h93JxHHlc

While a lot of her wrecks were not her fault, and she was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. A lot of them clearly were not only her fault, but were the result of either not paying attention, or else driving stupidly, and beyond her ability. (Both of which are one in the same). I would love to see a financial tally of all the damage she has done to her race cars over her NASCAR career. And then have it directly compared to other drivers over the same 6 year time span. I'll bet her damage cost is in the stratosphere compared to other drivers.

They say football viewership will decline because/when football participation during youth declines.

So, maybe NASCAR attendance/viewing is declining due to fewer people working on their cars?

You must admit, announcers screaming about cars making left turns wears thin real fast.

Originally Posted By: Kira
They say football viewership will decline because/when football participation during youth declines.

So, maybe NASCAR attendance/viewing is declining due to fewer people working on their cars?

You must admit, announcers screaming about cars making left turns wears thin real fast.

You are correct in that a loud, babbling announcer does not make watching a boring sport exciting. Regardless if it's racing, or anything else. While a little commentary is good. It doesn't mean more is better, and too much is just enough. It really gets annoying watching a 500 mile circle track race with announcers that won't shut up for 4 straight hours.... Even with the Pace Car out. And the way their running NASCAR today, that seems like it's over half the race.

I also agree with you about NFL football. It has nowhere to go but down. Yeah, they messed all over themselves with all of this National Anthem protesting nonsense. But where they will suffer far greater damage over the long term, is with all of the head injuries taking place. Pro football players were both envied and idolized. Today that envy is quickly disappearing, as so many of these guys are either dying from traumatic head injuries over time. Or else are committing suicide after going nuts from taking too many hits on the field in their relatively short careers.

And even the one's who manage to keep their brains intact, end up with severe orthopedic problems as they get older. Many who have had what could be considered long careers in the NFL, have trouble walking without assistance by the time they get into their 50's. Or else are living in constant pain. In many ways pro football has plain outlived it's time. Because unlike auto racing which has been made much safer over the years. These pro NFL players are getting messed up much worse, far faster today, as the game becomes more and more violent.

People, (and mostly parents), are questioning if any of it is worth the long term effects. Even if their kids are successful at landing a college scholarship, coupled with high dollar professional career. If parents start keeping their kids out of football, in favor of soccer, or some other sport, it won't be long before this all filters down into the NFL. The result will be fewer players at the high school and college level to draft from as the talent level shrinks. Then the level of talent will slowly evaporate until it is no longer worth watching. This is already taking place at a lot of colleges today. Football has lost much of it's allure because of all of it.

Football and car racing have governing boards that make rules to try to validate their worth.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I also agree with you about NFL football. It has nowhere to go but down.

The NHL has its head in the sand about this issue, too. Couple that with declining TV audiences in general (i.e. fewer people watching TV, plus fewer watching the sports in question), and there's trouble.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Football and car racing have governing boards that make rules to try to validate their worth.

The problem with that is, judging by all the empty seats lately, many don't agree with the value they have placed on their sport.

I remember watching an episode of Star Trek Deep Space 9 back in the 90's where Captain Sisko is talking on the holodeck to a man who played in the last World Series, reportedly with 200-odd in attendance to watch.

Couldn't imagine any major sport seeing an end like that, but nowadays seems very possible for many.

What I don't get is the pricing of many of these events. You have bunches of empty seats, but still want a King's ransom to attend?

I think that's a major part of the problem. Regular folks, even broke folks, used to come out to these events. Now so many are so $$$$$$$, that it becomes a special occasion at best for so many.

Playing all of this money ball is not helping.

Another sport headed the same way is boxing.

The ultimate problem is that better options are available for entertainment, and the sports themselves keep getting worse. Sports themselves getting drowned in money and beuarocracy.

Today we look at past ancient history, and wonder how people in Roman times could watch as Gladiators killed each other. And how people cheered while some poor, weak guy was eaten alive by lions. All for the sole purpose of someone else's entertainment. In another generation many will look at the failure of the NFL and professional boxing in much the same manner.

While some may find it entertaining watching opposing guys bash their heads together, or beat each other to a bloody pulp. Many are looking at the whole thing, and are forming other more educated opinions. There are simply much better things to do with your time. Especially when you consider the cost to attend these events today. Families will instead start spending time together. They'll start paying more attention to one another. Instead of cheering while another player is carted off the field on a stretcher. Or some 25 year old boxer who is so punch drunk, can no longer give an interview and make any sense.

Auto racing is the exception to all of this because it is dependent on technology. Both to make the cars go fast, but more importantly to make them safer in the process. The problem is the way it is being managed. Like professional football and boxing, greed has taken over and made it unaffordable for the masses. The owners haven't figured out these masses have a limited amount of disposable income to spend on the weekend to watch their product.

And they've tried so many stupid things to "improve" it, all they have accomplished is they've managed to make it all worse. Because the people now in charge never had the talent to manage it in the first place.

Wow, that's like someone calling a political leader a Nazi. It shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of history and the significance of what happened at that time. It also disrespects the victims of the practice. Besides, if you think the purpose of the Roman blood lust spectator sports was soley entertainment, you need to study further. There were much more insideous purposes to it than just that.

Today's sports voluntary, unlike the situation for Gladiators, and they are nowhere near what you make it out to be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyFan
Wow, that's like someone calling a political leader a Nazi. It shows a complete and utter lack of understanding of history and the significance of what happened at that time. It also disrespects the victims of the practice. Besides, if you think the purpose of the Roman blood lust spectator sports was soley entertainment, you need to study further. There were much more insideous purposes to it than just that.

Today's sports voluntary, unlike the situation for Gladiators, and they are nowhere near what you make it out to be.

The point is that it would never fly today. Regardless of the reasoning you or anyone else tries to attach to it. The NFL and boxing are traveling down the exact same road. As I said, both have outlived their time. Attitude and attendance shows this to be true.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: IndyFan

The point is that it would never fly today. Regardless of the reasoning you or anyone else tries to attach to it. The NFL and boxing are traveling down the exact same road. As I said, both have outlived their time. Attitude and attendance shows this to be true.

My point is that I simply disagree. You are trying to label these sports in an extreme way by equating them to Roman blod sports. I think that is a ridiculous comparison. It is a tactic that too many people have learned from politics. It is a form of extremism, and it is not really an intellectually honest way to debate.

You do know that football is the number one spectator and televison sport in the United States, right? That hardly supports your opinion that it has outlived its time.

You don't like it? Do what I do. Don't watch it and don't support it. But don't tell other people what they can and can't do.

Last edited:
I think your all.missing the point. The Romans used the sports to distract simple mindset from the corruption and the utter unraveling of Rome. Distract the masses.
Still works to this day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back